View Poll Results: Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a lady, starting in 1988?

Voters
283. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mao Asada (2010)

35 12.37%
  • Sasha Cohen (2006)

30 10.60%
  • Irina Slutskaya (2002)

19 6.71%
  • Michelle Kwan (1998)

130 45.94%
  • Nancy Kerrigan (1994)

12 4.24%
  • Midori Ito (1992)

19 6.71%
  • Liz manley (1988)

38 13.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

Mao skated really well. In any other year her performance would have been good enough for an OGM.

(Note: I knew that Michelle will get most of the votes, so I did not need to vote for her ).
    I really don't agree. It was a huge accomplishment for her to land 3 3axels and I applaud her for that, but she really only had 4 clean triples total, and did not had no 3sal, 3toe, or 3lutz. Landing triple axels does not make up for a complete lack of three other types of triples IMO. She did, of course, plan a 3toe but as we know it never even got off the ground.

vCash
    If I had to guess this is how Mao would have done in other years:

1992- I think she would have won. Kristi wasnt great that night, Midori with only 1 triple axel and no triple lutz probably would have won the LP had she not been 4th in the short.

1994- Would have won.

1998- Would have probably been 3rd. I dont see either Tara or Michelle that night beaten by a performance with 2 major mistakes.

2002- Would have won. Hughes lost votes to all of Slutskaya, Kwan, and Cohen that night even with their problems, simpler jumps, and her out of skin skate. 2 triple axels even with a couple misses would have put someone over her as she was not a popular choice even with the judges.

2006- If we factor in SP would have won. May have lost LP to Shizuka under COP.

So I actually almost agree, I think she would have won any other Olympics besides 1998 with her performances in Vancouver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I really don't agree. It was a huge accomplishment for her to land 3 3axels and I applaud her for that, but she really only had 4 clean triples total, and did not had no 3sal, 3toe, or 3lutz. Landing triple axels does not make up for a complete lack of three other types of triples IMO. She did, of course, plan a 3toe but as we know it never even got off the ground.
    I would have agreed with this but then I think about Carolina Kostner at Worlds this year.... She won without lutz because she had the great components, good spins and good GOEs.

Yes Mao didn't get great GOEs on some elements in the program but I still think the 3As she performed and also her PCs from that performance at Olympics would have been enough any other year to overcome the fact that she didn't perform most triples.... If not, then how did she even get second in Vancouver?

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Liz did not make a mistake.
    hmmmm, I'm now starting to doubt myself, but I always thought she 2-footed her triple loop. Did she or is it just a deceiving camera angle?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    hmmmm, I'm now starting to doubt myself, but I always thought she 2-footed her triple loop. Did she or is it just a deceiving camera angle?
    I will have to watch the tape again; it was so long ago!

vCash
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater91 View Post

Yes Mao didn't get great GOEs on some elements in the program but I still think the 3As she performed and also her PCs from that performance at Olympics would have been enough any other year to overcome the fact that she didn't perform most triples....
    Mao's sp was cristal clean, and besides the two mistakes in the free the rest of the program from the jumps, spins, steps, spirals it was clean and topnotch. and people can mention the lack of sal and lutz all they want, but believe me ANY skater in the world that could switch a sal (with low value) or lutz with ONE 3A would have done it...

PS: by the way she did get great goe, it just wasn't crazy goe she received!
    Last edited by Amy03; 08-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.

vCash
    Yes Mao didn't get great GOEs on some elements in the program
    She actually had pretty excellent GoEs on non-jump elements - she earned 42.9 points for them (SP+LP), while YuNa got 42.5. It's the jumps (esp. toe jumps) that were the problem. Still, I'm quite impressed by her performance, especially after watching the documentary about TAT and Mao that was released a few months after Olympics. The documentary was mostly about TAT's choreo, but in the background you could see Mao practising her jumps thorough the Olympic season, and when she had a minor growth spurt early in the season, her 3F/3Lz went completely AWOL. Almost all of the jumps she attempted were wonky 3Fs, and if I'd watched the clips before the Oly's, I'd be freaking out that she'll splat on them in her programs (and possibly other jumps, seeing as she didn't seem to have time to practise them much).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by inskate View Post
    She actually had pretty excellent GoEs on non-jump elements - she earned 42.9 points for them (SP+LP), while YuNa got 42.5. It's the jumps (esp. toe jumps) that were the problem. Still, I'm quite impressed by her performance, especially after watching the documentary about TAT and Mao that was released a few months after Olympics. The documentary was mostly about TAT's choreo, but in the background you could see Mao practising her jumps thorough the Olympic season, and when she had a minor growth spurt early in the season, her 3F/3Lz went completely AWOL. Almost all of the jumps she attempted were wonky 3Fs, and if I'd watched the clips before the Oly's, I'd be freaking out that she'll splat on them in her programs (and possibly other jumps, seeing as she didn't seem to have time to practise them much).
    I am not saying her performance wasn't good. I also said some of her elements....meaning the toe and the Flip combo she did.

I think she should win this poll hands down. I am in her favour. Read my earlier comments. Someone commented saying that she shouldn't win this because she didn't complete all the triple jumps and had mistakes, I am saying that even with the mistakes and the lack of completing all the triples the rest of her skating makes up for it so she could have won the Olympics any other year and should win this poll.

vCash
    I am not saying her performance wasn't good. I also said some of her elements....meaning the toe and the Flip combo she did.
    Sorry, I didn't meant my post to sound like I was disagreeing with you. I just wanted to elabrate on that one particular point (GoEs, esp. on non-jump elements), because I've seen posts either saying that Mao was underscored in that area, or that her performance was just about 3A and jumps, when in reality her non-jump elements were scored very high.

vCash
    Purple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela-Fan View Post
    Purple.
    I loved her musicality, costumes, and running combinations.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Her quad was pretty awesome, too.

vCash
    But that damn triple flip...
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Although I am usually the last person to vote for Kwan, I had to on this one. Her Olympic silver was as close to Olympic gold as u can get.

I love Midori, but she was just not mentally prepared at Olympics and it showed in her performance. I wish she had skated flawless because it would have been probably the best Olympic ladies lp ever

Asada was good also, but it had flaws. If she were flawless, she still wouldn't have beat Kim but it would have been a nice battle between the two

Manley was good, if it weren't for figures. Katarina Witt was artistically good, but technically was very weak

vCash
    michelle should have won in 1998, enough said,
    favorite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    she did 2-ft her triple loop. Witt and Thomas also did that often, I don't remember whether they did it there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Liz Manley because she is the only one HAPPY TO HAVE the silver medal and was not a "favorite" who faltered. She was an underdog who did way better than she expected, and it showed in her personality.
    Very well put! That was the reason I gave to Manley my vote and not to Kwan who was way too tentative.

vCash
    Michele's was a beautiful performance but coming right after Philadelphia, it is actually almost more heartbreaking.

I voted for Liz Manley's. The unbridled JOY from every aspect of her skate and the moments of triumph in front of home country fans (yes, the silver medal is a huuge triumph in my opinion at the Olympics) make it my favorite.

vCash
    Kwan.

vCash
    Kwan's 1998 LP was one of the most beautiful programs ever done. None of the other choices even come close. That LP could have beaten many of ladies Olympic golds medalists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast