Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Chicago seems to be popular with tv writers right now - Mike & Molly and Happy Endings are also in Chicago.

But lol about the winters. I can see Minnesota (where one assumes the village might have been, since they passed through O'Hare before getting downtown) perhaps for the fishing and foraging.
    O'Hare was one of the many roll-eyes moments in this show. No way would those planes not have been stripped completely bare for parts. (There's a excellent scene in the movie Lord of War showing a cargo plane getting stripped over the course of a day)

I'm somewhat interested in finding out what pseudo-science explanation they finagle for how the power went out and how the amulets work. I would hand-wave a guess about an EMP or something like that frying all computer chips in existence except for some extra special ones contained in the amulets. But even then people should have been able to steampunk or wind/solar their way to a power source. Batteries and thermoelectrics should still work. Unless the actual laws of physics went crazy. But....combustion still works. So maybe it's just "A wizard/alien did it."

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    Batteries and thermoelectrics should still work. Unless the actual laws of physics went crazy. But....combustion still works. So maybe it's just "A wizard/alien did it."
    Yeah the batteries are a puzzle - the other is why they aren't using coal, oil, wind, nuclear power etc. I guess electricity is involved in their production on a mass scale, but people used coal power long before electricity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    My biggest problem with Revolution was the actress playing Charlie. Girl can NOT act. Plus giving her perfect hair and clothes doesn't make any sense. Can't they put her hair in a ponytail to make it half way plausible. Or give her some split ends!?!

And I totally think they left it open for the Mom to be alive and the key to getting the power back on.
    Was not able to watch it but will catch it later on OnDemand. I was excited at the idea of the show but the trailer was a real turnoff. One of the things that bothered me was the clothes, and now that you mentioned it, the actress playing Charlie. Another thing was bro challenging a group of gun totting men with a bow and arrow. I would have given him a lot more thn just a swat over the head. And yeah, there is so much that is not connected to the grid, why don't any of it work anymore? How come jr. found uncle so easily? And where did he get his super ninja skills from? I should really just watch the show first before being too critical. LOL

Spoiler

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Supposedly there's an explanation for the blackout that makes sense (I read an article somewhere that said the writers/producers consulted a physicist to see if their ideas could work and they apparently do) but I have no clue how long they're going to drag it all out or when we may find out that information. I'll keep watching for now though. It wasn't the smartest show I've ever seen but it did entertain me and for a Monday evening, that's all I ask for before I go to bed.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    Read the book, "One Second After", by William Fortschen.

It describes what really happens after EMP wipes out everything electronic.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Caught up with Revolution last night. As much as I love post-apocalyptic stories, I doubt I'll be sticking with this one. I objected strenuously to the really bad acting (particularly Charlie), the preposterous fight scenes (esp. the one in the hotel), and the inconsistency of the details like clothing. I'm also incredibly skeptical about the physics of the basic premise, but since so little of that has been shown there may be some plausible explanation there.

Mostly, though, I feel like they don't deserve my business because their pilot was so poorly designed without any attempt to draw people in: zero character development, abrupt beginning with virtually no "setting the stage," and no clue about pacing or how to build dramatic tension. It's almost as if they thought "Hey, people will think this is cool and like Lost so they'll watch, we don't have to do anything else."

I'll probably give it one more week, but so far this is not looking like a keeper for me.

But I'm also completely ok with that. With all the good stuff on Sunday nights, my Monday TV viewing will be more than full with catching up!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It's almost as if they thought "Hey, people will think this is cool and like Lost so they'll watch, we don't have to do anything else."
    Every time they were walking through a field and especially when they came up on the planes, all I could think is how much better this would be if Sawyer was with them

The costumes were the same, the Google employee is Hurley, Miles is supposed to be Jack but without the god-like abilities and inner conflict, the woman in the farmhouse is Rose (not just because she's black - it was her wise looks and compassion that did it for me), and Charlie is a junior Kate without a backstory. And none of them can fight like Sayid

Even the reveal of Monroe reminded me of Jacob at his loom in the statue, and any minute now we're going to find out that the lead militia guy is in fact immortal.

I'm going to give it an ep or two to see if it settles into something, but I might just go back to Hawaii 5-0. It's plots are simple and scripts cliche, but at least I can buy into the lead character's superhuman skills (he's ex SEAL) and there's humour with Scott Caan. And of course Alex O'Loughlin is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I'm going to give it an ep or two to see if it settles into something...
    I always try to do that at the beginning of the season. There can be a lot of change between the pilot, which was used to sell the show, and the next few episodes.

I haven't seen Revolution yet. I figured I'd wait so that I could see a couple in a row.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    I always try to do that at the beginning of the season. There can be a lot of change between the pilot, which was used to sell the show, and the next few episodes.
    Which is why I'm not holding out a lot of hope for Revolution -- since the pilot was so incredibly non-selling of either the premise or the characters.

At least, not a sell to the viewers. Obviously they managed to successfully "sell" it to the network and advertisers ...

vCash
    I am sooooo loving Copper! It's a keeper!

vCash
    I really wanted to like Revolution, but it was a big disappointment. I'll give it one more shot, but if it doesn't improve I'm crossing it off my list. Poor writing, predictable plot, ridiculous costumes, bad casting .... I love a good post-apocalyptic story - but this was very poorly done.

vCash
    I liked "Revolution" enough to stay awake through it, which is more than I can say for a lot of shows that start at 10:00 PM. I also like "Copper" but that's easier because I'm catching it on Saturday night when I'm usually a little more alert than on a weeknight. Although since it follows "Dr. Who" on what used to be BBC America's "Supernatural Saturday" I keep wondering when the aliens or werewolves are going to show up.

I am really looking forward to the new season of "NCIS" (especially now that I know Ducky is alive) and to "Survivor."
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I liked "Revolution" enough to stay awake through it, which is more than I can say for a lot of shows that start at 10:00 PM.
    You actualy watch shows at 10pm? Even the ones I like don't keep me awake. I timeshift anything at 10

I also like "Copper" but that's easier because I'm catching it on Saturday night when I'm usually a little more alert than on a weeknight. Although since it follows "Dr. Who" on what used to be BBC America's "Supernatural Saturday" I keep wondering when the aliens or werewolves are going to show up.
    I like what I've seen of Copper - but I have to catch up on that. What I'm really liking, is that BBCA has been making strides to actually being - you know - British again after the Garth Ancier debacle.

I am really looking forward to the new season of "NCIS" (especially now that I know Ducky is alive)
    But what about Tim McGee? We don't see him in the preview except for the shot where it looked like he took the windows in the face. I'm sure he'll ultimately be OK, but as far as I can remember he's the only team member who has never really been injured. He is due.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Caught up with Revolution last night. As much as I love post-apocalyptic stories, I doubt I'll be sticking with this one. I objected strenuously to the really bad acting (particularly Charlie), the preposterous fight scenes (esp. the one in the hotel), and the inconsistency of the details like clothing. I'm also incredibly skeptical about the physics of the basic premise, but since so little of that has been shown there may be some plausible explanation there.
    I was rolling my eyes at how in only 15 years the miles of cement and metal would have been completely covered by thick vegetation...

moving right along
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    I was rolling my eyes at how in only 15 years the miles of cement and metal would have been completely covered by thick vegetation...
    Morning glory vines. All over...in less than a year.

vCash
    Kudzu and wisteria take over my yard in a season if I let them. And an empty house down the street looks worse than the scenery on the show and it's only been up for sale for the summer. Nature takes over quickly if unchecked.

Just because there's no electriciy doesn't mean people can't keep their clothes clean. It just takes longer and is more work.

But in any case, it's fantasy. I don't quibble about unrealism in fantasy. I liked the twist at the end of the episode. It caught my attention at least.

Dancing with the Stars and The Amazing Race are back soon! Life is Good!

vCash
    The pilot of Revolution wasn't bad in itself -- I liked the twist at the end too -- but it wasn't good enough to keep me watching. Too formulaic. The Girl Who Must Save Her Family, The Saintly Dead Mother, The Conflicted Member of the Enemy Forces, The Rough-Edged Hero with a Heart of Gold, etc., etc., etc. If I just wanted to look at a bunch of archetypes, I'd go read TV Tropes.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Kudzu and wisteria take over my yard in a season if I let them. And an empty house down the street looks worse than the scenery on the show and it's only been up for sale for the summer. Nature takes over quickly if unchecked.
    I assume you don't live in the Chicago area Harsh winters in the north keep these insane plant species pretty much under control in Canada, and we have a similar winter to Chicago. I agree that this would certainly be plausible in warmer climates, just not here. Native plants just aren't as invasive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    The pilot of Revolution wasn't bad in itself -- I liked the twist at the end too -- but it wasn't good enough to keep me watching. Too formulaic. The Girl Who Must Save Her Family, The Saintly Dead Mother, The Conflicted Member of the Enemy Forces, The Rough-Edged Hero with a Heart of Gold, etc., etc., etc. If I just wanted to look at a bunch of archetypes, I'd go read TV Tropes.
    You left out the part where all the bad guys had bad aim and was not very bright. LOL The twist in the end is the same twist The Event had so it's nothing new. This show might as well be a continuation of The Event.

There is a documentary about what will happen to all our "stuff" if we were to disappear called "Life After People". It may help us understand the show a bit better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_After_People
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtHI...e_gdata_player

vCash
    I assume you don't live in the Chicago area Harsh winters in the north keep these insane plant species pretty much under control in Canada, and we have a similar winter to Chicago. I agree that this would certainly be plausible in warmer climates, just not here. Native plants just aren't as invasive.
    I live in New England. There are invasive species everywhere.

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast