aka IceSkate98
    vCash

An interview with Kristi Yamaguchi

By Jo Anne Schneider Farris. A very interesting interview. Kristi gave some advice during her interview "Don't look at your Olympic medal (or any athletic or figure skating medal) as the end. Instead, make other goals real in your life. Explore other interests and focus on other things."

I didn't realize that Rudy Galindo was coaching Kristi's daughter.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/Fa...-Yamaguchi.htm
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I didn't realize that Rudy Galindo was coaching Kristi's daughter.
    It was mentioned in the the PEOPLE magazine article on the 20th anniversary of her Olympic gold in Albertville: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82719

Kristi's daughter competed in a local competition back in June and placed 2nd (Basic Skating 2 group) - I remember Kristi tweeting how proud and nervous she was watching her compete.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia. I saw where you posted about the article in the thread on February 26th. I'm afraid I'm a little behind. I was away from home during that time at a nursing center, and also dealing with some family matters.

The People Magazine article was really interesting.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Kristi is such a class act and a wonderful representative of figure skating. She has certainly made the most of her olympic title but has also done so much charity work. This is good advice for future medalists.

Wouldn't it be great to see her daughter skate competively one day?

vCash
    Thanks for posting this.

When it comes to Ladies FS role models, to me Kristi is at the very top of the list.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks Simone. Good advice from Kristi who has a lot to share. "I suggest that when an athlete gets to a point where he or she feels he may not enjoy the time devoted to training, to try to imagine not doing the sport anymore. If you feel you could live your life without skating, it may be time to consider doing other things".
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Kristi is the epitome of class act. Great to see her profile coming forth as a positive reminder to the broader public about the great champions that figure skating has produced

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I love the photo. Kristi's daughters are growing up so fast. A very nice interview also. She's definitely keeping up with Figure Skating and the Olympic hopefuls for Sochi. She also mentioned that her younger daughter ice skated a couple of times each week during the summer.

Thanks for sharing the article, Sylvia.
    Angie

vCash
    I wonder how tall her daughters will grow up to be? Will they get Mom's or Dad's genes in that department?
    Stunning family.

vCash
    She is a great women and a great ambassador for the sport, and it is hard to not respect her amazing career and achievements. Her skating was never my cup of tea, atleast as an amateur, and I found her a bit overrated then. As a pro I enjoyed her skating more than I had as an amateur, although her small jumps still bothered me. However as an Olympic Champion following through on that title and all that is should encompass she is the best of recent memory, along with Kim and Shizuka.