Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quotes from Weir (who confirms that Lady Gaga gave him his "Poker Face" SP music), Cannuscio/McManus, Castelli/Shnapir and Razzano: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...day-1-nuggets/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    delete

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Wow, glaring typo here:

Does Icenetwork not have a copy editor to edit these things before they're published?
    Maybe it isn't a typo...

vCash
    Wow, glaring typo here:

Does Icenetwork not have a copy editor to edit these things before they're published?
    Based on previous egregious errors, nope.

vCash
    Wow, glaring typo here:
    I'm also a stickler for editing, but I guess I'd give them a break because the USFS staff is working 16-hour days to put on Champs Camp. I know because my offspring is working it. USFS is probably feeding the stories to IceNetwork, and you're right, IN should proofread things before publishing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    I'm also a stickler for editing, but I guess I'd give them a break because the USFS staff is working 16-hour days to put on Champs Camp. I know because my offspring is working it. USFS is probably feeding the stories to IceNetwork, and you're right, IN should proofread things before publishing.
    The article was written by Lynn Rutherford, a free-lance reporter/writer, not USFS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    The article was written by Lynn Rutherford, a free-lance reporter/writer, not USFS.
    Then let's get Lynn to use the spell and grammar checker (which doesn't catch everything) and have another human being read her stuff before publishing. At major publications, there would be a person overseeing what goes to print.

vCash
    Skaters: Announce music and other details

FSU: OMG TYPOS

Very excited to see Ashley and Johnny's programs. The music choices sound amazing for them. More updates, USFS/IN! More!

vCash
    Wow, glaring typo here:

They clearly don't. I've responded many times to many articles to list errors and, to "they're" credit, they usually do make corrections. The grammatical issues are annoying, but what I find even more unprofessional is the amount of factual errors in some of their articles. Sometimes I wonder if the authors even watch the icenetwork videos of the competitions they report on...

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Maybe it isn't a typo...
    If it's not a typo the sentence doesn't make sense. "They're" is a contracted form of "they are". To make sense the word they need is "their", as in belonging to them.

They're = they are
    their = denotes ownership
    there = denotes place

Here endeth the grammar lesson for today
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Some tweeted photos from the national champions' Western-themed photo shoot today:

All 6 dressed up in their Western outfits
    Riding the stagecoach
    3 Cowboys
    Ashley Wagner
    Charlie makes a great cowboy. I always said he looked like Bo Duke. Ashley's gorgeous!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Finally, some Dornbush!

vCash
    Wow, glaring typo here:
    Quote:
    "The way they train, their work ethic, is something I love," she said. "Everyone works really hard there, because they're motto is, 'At competitions, you can only control what you do.'"
    And to all the unnecessary follow up comments...

Yes, a typo. Not a felony, a typo. I am a former English teacher, a successful professional writer (in business not skating) and actually Lynn's friend. Writers, especially those of us who write many words on very tight deadlines, make errors. Editors usually correct them. Occasionally, that system doesn't catch the error; most of the time, it does.

This is a tiny thing but it is so irritating. If you knew how hard a journalist has to work and the 'get it to me the minute you hear it' demands under which they do work, you might have a slightly different take on this.

Not that a typo isn't still a typo, but these folks get you the information you want (free of charge I might add - you're not paying a dime for it) as fast as they can get it to you. I, for one, appreciate the information and results regardless of inconsequential errors - and the typo certainly did not impair my understanding of the content. I certainly wouldn't damn Lynn for it.

How many here have ever made a typo in print (sometimes even after carefully proofing your own article/paper/letter/note)? How many here have ever even been asked to publish anything they've written? Sorry I'm prickly about this but boy oh boy...it's real easy to throw stones, isn't it? Is it fun?

All that said, sounds like there are some really good things going on in terms of the programs we're going to be seeing this season.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-23-2012 at 10:33 PM.

vCash
    The typo has been corrected by IN.

When I posted the link to the SKATING magazine blog photos yesterday there was a glaring typo in the headline -- "Cadid [instead of Candid] Photos" -- and I was sure someone here would see and snark about it but no one did!

vCash
    No one said it was a felony. Just a glaring grammatical error from a so-call professional sports news website.

It's not the end of the world. It just reflects poorly on the author and publisher IMO.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Okay, I just this moment ran across a typo on a NY Times blog.

What does that tell you?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Madison's self designed dress is

I almost didn't recognize Adam sans curls. He looks great.

I'm also glad to see Richard

vCash
    Okay, I just this moment ran across a typo on a NY Times blog.
    And you make the very good point that internet reporting, as opposed to hard copy, has even less editorial support... even at the New York Times.

vCash

Gracie???

Where is she? Any mention of her???

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast