Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Happy to see Zane gone! He was beyond annoying after the first minute or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Jeff does like Penner as a player, though. I'm not really sure why; Jonathan gets the game but he doesn't seem play it very well.
    Yeah, even though I like the guy, I agree that he doesn't seem to play it very well. But maybe the reason that Jeff likes him is that he does get it. And he seems to make things interesting at least. Jeff likes guys that make good TV and Jonathan is always good for a sound bite.

vCash
    I finally watched the premiere. Not much to add except I'm SO happy to see Mike Skupin back.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Hope you had a nice anniversary dinner

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    I wonder if Lisa's divorce right before leaving for Survivor affected her game play.

vCash
    Re-watching the episode to get a better grasp of players and names and tribes and such...

First general impressions are that the Philippines are completely BEAUTIFUL. I'm watching in HD for the first time, and it was like a whole new experience. And a nice departure from Samoa (which was used 4 times in the last 6 seasons).

Also I'm glad to see they are doing a season with 3 tribes again. I am betting that they'll do what happened in All-Stars in that one tribe will be dissolved a few episodes in, which is unfortunate, but I guess has to happen to keep things relatively even if one tribe starts losing a ton.

You all know me, I am not a fan of returning players, and this is no exception. Either have all returning players, or no returning players. Blah. I liked Roxanne almost immediately because of the look of disgust on her face when Jeff announced there would be returnees. Also on a side note, has a woman ever had to leave the game due to medical purposes other than the girl who broke her wrist last season? When Jeff was introducing them at the start of the episode and they showed some clips, it had me thinking about it and I don't remember any women being plucked from the game due to dehydration/cuts & infections, etc.

I think that Russell is a complete dumbass. No leaders! One team! Oh hey, let's do it this way, our shelter will be here, you, the track athlete, will be working on the puzzle! Wasn't this the genius who chose the pillows and blankets for a reward over a tarp/fishing equipment/some other survival essential necessity just so that the women on his tribe would be happy? However I was super impressed that their tribe was able to start fire without flint or with using a lens. I don't think that's ever happened on Survivor before..?

Early favorites are Roxanne, Denise, Malcolm (I really thought he was going to be a royal douche-canoe going in, but as of the first eppy, he's good), Dana, and Lisa.

I recognized Jeff from being a casual baseball fan in my teens, I know he can be a hot-head, but he seems quite down-to-earth here. I hope he does well, too. It appears from the preview for next week that Lisa has the token middle-aged woman episode-2 breakdown. It happens almost ever season, it seems, and most of them have been able to rise above it and completely shine... thinking of Holly and Dawn in particular, I hope that Lisa can do the same!

I can see RC becoming the Conda (from Biggest Loser) of Survivor. Dear god, please no I'm also just waiting for her bra to come busting open, good grief.

Zane was one scatterbrained dumbass. I think announcing to half his tribe that he's made an alliance with everybody on their beach is up there as one of the dumbest moves we've seen over the years. Did he seriously think that was going to work to his advantage? Oyy.

I'm so much more amped up for this season than I have been the last few! It's probably the HD...

ETA: How ironic would it have been had they brought Boston Rob back for a season in the Phillipeans Philippines when it was his inability to spell the country correctly that got him and Amber booted off of Amazing Race All Stars?
    Last edited by Fridge_Break; 09-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    Also on a side note, has a woman ever had to leave the game due to medical purposes other than the girl who broke her wrist last season? When Jeff was introducing them at the start of the episode and they showed some clips, it had me thinking about it and I don't remember any women being plucked from the game due to dehydration/cuts & infections, etc.
    Good question. Do you count Kathy on Fans vs. Favorites who had somewhat of a breakdown and left? In some ways, you could call her a quitter, but the show treated her more as a medical evacuation. Anyway, if you are speaking strictly of physical health, you're right that it was just Kourtney last season. I do remember hearing that way back in Season 3, two people were hospitalized for dysentery, one of whom was Lindsey (who I only remember for being extremely annoying). But since they didn't miss a challenge, they were not medically evacuated...I wonder if the rule around that has changed because it seems that we see a lot more evacuations now than in early seasons. It seems kind of odd that there was 1 evacuee in the first 11 seasons and then 8 evacuees in the next 13 seasons.

Wasn't this the genius who chose the pillows and blankets for a reward over a tarp/fishing equipment/some other survival essential necessity just so that the women on his tribe would be happy?
    Yep, that's the guy. Hence why I was not excited about him coming back.

vCash

However I was super impressed that their tribe was able to start fire without flint or with using a lens. I don't think that's ever happened on Survivor before..?
    Boston Rob did it in Heroes vs. Villains

vCash
    That kid on the blue tribe, he looks like a reject from the Orlando Bloom factory. And that is never a bad thing. :p

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I went back and watched the first half hour - and realized that half the people weren't really shown in the last hour of the premiere at all

RC is annoying and her main strategy seems to be her boobs, but I did appreciate her saying she's an executive assistant (with Abi-Maria totally ooooooooooo! I've done that!!!!!-ing over it ) instead of an investment banker, because it's (sad but) true that highly competitive/successful women are seen as targets. She's smart - I just wish she were more likeable.

Abi-Maria is a waste of space. The sooner she leaves this show, the better.

I'm really interested in the red team. I feel like we got to see the least of them. That could mean they all stick around and we'll see more later - or they get picked off and there's no point in getting to know them.

Russell is so bad at this game
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I think that Russell is a complete dumbass. No leaders! One team! Oh hey, let's do it this way, our shelter will be here, you, the track athlete, will be working on the puzzle! Wasn't this the genius who chose the pillows and blankets for a reward over a tarp/fishing equipment/some other survival essential necessity just so that the women on his tribe would be happy?

It appears from the preview for next week that Lisa has the token middle-aged woman episode-2 breakdown. It happens almost ever season, it seems, and most of them have been able to rise above it and completely shine... thinking of Holly and Dawn in particular, I hope that Lisa can do the same!
    I had forgotten about that stupid decision by Russell - that season was so dominated by the other Russell that I barely remembered him, until watching the ep and remembering that he was annoying in a means well but is messing it up way. Now I remember that's he's also stupid!

And thanks also for the reminder about Holly and Dawn. Survivor loves a personal growth story, so hopefully the edit means that Lisa will stick around awhile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    RC is annoying and her main strategy seems to be her boobs, but I did appreciate her saying she's an executive assistant (with Abi-Maria totally ooooooooooo! I've done that!!!!!-ing over it ) instead of an investment banker, because it's (sad but) true that highly competitive/successful women are seen as targets. She's smart - I just wish she were more likeable.
    Yeah, I kind of want to like her for being smart enough to hide her success, but she also comes across as extremely annoying and bitchy. We'll see, though, I often change my first impression of people...although as the examples of Holly and Dawn raise, it seems to be more the older women that have that kind of journey so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Finally got to watch. Zane was an idiot but I still wish they would have voted off Russell. I felt the same way about his "I'm not the leader but do it my way" crap. He annoyed the hell out of me and if I was on the tribe, I would have kept Zane then booted him next.

It will be weeks before I get the names straight, but I hated the girls on the Yellow Tribe when they immediately made Lisa the outcast. Its like in high school where all the cool, popular kids are nice when others are around, but then they go and talk about you behind your back and make fun of you and make you the butt of jokes and the outcast. Can't stand those girls and unfortunately I'll have to keep rooting for Yellow to make sure Lisa stays on a while. She seems very friendly to me, unlike the beyotchs.

I don't know her name, and she hardly was even on the show, but I can't stand the girl on the Red Team with the spiky blond hair! Just the smirks she was throwing around totally turned me off to her immediately. I hope she gets the boot first on the Red Tribe.

How long will it be until there's just 2 tribes? They can't keep up 3 teams for that long otherwise you still have those hard alliances within the 3 team tribe. I want to see them get mixed up a lot more to break those up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    How long will it be until there's just 2 tribes? They can't keep up 3 teams for that long otherwise you still have those hard alliances within the 3 team tribe. I want to see them get mixed up a lot more to break those up.
    When they've had multiple tribes in the past, I want to say that they merge them into 2 tribes fairly early on. I hope if they do that it's a shuffle all around, and some of these early day alliances get broken up.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I don't know her name, and she hardly was even on the show, but I can't stand the girl on the Red Team with the spiky blond hair! Just the smirks she was throwing around totally turned me off to her immediately. I hope she gets the boot first on the Red Tribe.
    There's a video of her in Survivor Insider (I can't remember her name right now, either) and I thought she seemed interesting there. She's a lesbian who came out while attending Christian school, among other things, and she is a real fan of the show, another one who has watched every episode and knows the history of the game well.

I didn't like her on the broadcast, either, but the Insider clip makes me think she might be an interesting player.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Interesting. I never watch those videos beforehand, so maybe I'll cut her some slack until they actually show her doing something and I can tell more what she's like. But its amazing how much I disliked her with just what little they showed of her. I don't know what it was about her that made me not like her, especially since she was hardly even on the show, but something did.

vCash
    I think her name is Dana, and when I watched the opening of the episode last night, she was one of the ones I wished we'd seen more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    There's a video of her in Survivor Insider (I can't remember her name right now, either) and I thought she seemed interesting there. She's a lesbian who came out while attending Christian school, among other things, and she is a real fan of the show, another one who has watched every episode and knows the history of the game well.
    I rarely watch the intro videos, part out of laziness and partly because I like to form opinions on how they actually play rather than how they look on paper, but yep, she does look interesting. I'm cautiously hopeful.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    It will be weeks before I get the names straight, but I hated the girls on the Yellow Tribe when they immediately made Lisa the outcast. Its like in high school where all the cool, popular kids are nice when others are around, but then they go and talk about you behind your back and make fun of you and make you the butt of jokes and the outcast. Can't stand those girls and unfortunately I'll have to keep rooting for Yellow to make sure Lisa stays on a while. She seems very friendly to me, unlike the beyotchs.
    It's interesting that Lisa wants to play the same way she plays in life - her past is something she doesn't regret, but she's moved on and doesn't consider her days as a tv star important any more. Did everyone also catch that she lost all the money she made back then? Even more reason to want to move on.

However, Skupin was right to suggest that it might work in her favour. Even for those who don't want to be model/actors, most would be interested to hear some tales, and she will naturally present them in an honest, unsnotty way.

And don't you think that at some point, these girls will be impressed to know that she worked with George Clooney?

Lisa really needs to use her background to her advantage - hopefully she will realize it before it's too late.

(On a side note, for someone who has moved on and didn't want people to know who she was, she made a big mistake with her hair. Should have dyed it, cut it, tied it up.)

Interesting. I never watch those videos beforehand, so maybe I'll cut her some slack until they actually show her doing something and I can tell more what she's like. But its amazing how much I disliked her with just what little they showed of her. I don't know what it was about her that made me not like her, especially since she was hardly even on the show, but something did.
    I found her interesting, but also thought she had a chip on her shoulder that would alienate her from others fast. Too much of a loner. She needs to hook up with some like-minded types - I see her with Malcolm for example - to survive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

(On a side note, for someone who has moved on and didn't want people to know who she was, she made a big mistake with her hair. Should have dyed it, cut it, tied it up.)
    LOL. Maybe she reallly just love that hairstyle. It probably makes her feel young-ish having it.

vCash
    I suspect that Lisa's hair has never looked very different from the way it is now, and it would be completely traumatic for her to try something different.

I don't think the young girls on the tribe would be impressed that Lisa once worked with Clooney. I don't think anything about her past would impress them at this point, unless she suddenly became a monster at helping the tribe win challenges - and then she'd only be useful until she was a threat.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast