Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I agree.. really suited her and Nicks is just a treasure
    And the program is itricate, as well. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for Leah in the JGP.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Music nitpick: It's "The Seasons" (ballet) by Glazunov; Vivaldi composed "The Four Seasons." Some good moments in Keiser's FS -- hope she will have a successful JGP debut later this month!

Senior Men's FS start order (2 groups of 4):
    Robert Przepioski, Luis Hernandez (MEX) [ETA: he WD - reportedly only planned to do SP], Andrew Gonzales, Douglas Razzano /
    Jonathan Cassar, Philip Warren, Richard Dornbush, Sean Rabbitt
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-03-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

moving right along
    vCash
    I think Evan would approve of J Cassar's clown costume. I know I do. He looks beautiful. The sad, sad clown.

vCash
    Both of Dornbush's programs are excellent this year. Hope he sorts out his jumps by the GP.

moving right along
    vCash
    Hellllo, Mr. Dornbush. NICE program. You can portray a sophisticated character in this one. Looking good. This is a program you can sink your teeth into.

moving right along
    vCash
    So impressed by Sean Rabbit. Daphnis and Chloe is amazing music and he holds his own with it. He looks GREAT on the ice. He better make it out of sectionals. I want to see him at Nats.

vCash
    Sean Rabbitt acquired a real "ice presence" , he is very interesting to watch.
    Ah, too bad the competition is over. Till the next one!

vCash
    I wasn't feeling Dornbush's program until the last minute which was really intricate and interesting.

Sean Rabbit's program was really nice.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Official Senior Men's scores:
    Dornbush 209.61 (139.36 won FS)
    Rabbitt 181.28 (118.99)
    Cassar 175.63 (113.91)
    Razzano 173.23 (123.26, 2nd in FS)
    Warren 168.76 (107.48)
    Gonzales 158.05 (101.66)
    Przepioski 121.67 (82.78)
    Hernandez (MEX) WD from FS
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-03-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: to edit in official total & FS scores
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I missed Cassar's program. What's he skating to in the LP?

vCash
    Pagliacci, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    " I Pagliacci" Leoncavallo- it's his last year's LP.
    I suspect he might have planned to try 3A as I read that he tried it in the warm-up, but he popped it instead and banged into the boards on the next jump, quite hard. The program, though, is great, it keep improving even from last year ( I was not as fond of it last year as of some of Jonathan's other programs, but I love it now). The end was absolutely sizzling.

moving right along
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Pagliacci...in the most subdued clown garb you can imagine. Black and gray shirt that hints at harlequin. Black pants. He looks fabulous.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    My FS jump notes for the top 5 Senior men from watching the live stream last night:

Douglas Razzano (2nd in FS, skated in the 1st group): 3T, 3A, 1A+2T, 3Lz, 3T+2T, 3S, 3Lo, 2A+2T

Jonathan Cassar (4th in FS): 3Lz+3T low landing/hand down, 1A, 3F fall, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3S, 2A+2T, 3Lo+2T

Philip Warren (5th in FS): 3Lz flip out, 3A flip out/considered a fall or not?, 2F, 1A+2T, 3Lz fall, 3S+2T, 3Lo, 3T

Richard Dornbush (1st in FS): 4T fall, 4T fall, 3A, 'Rippon' 2Lz+3T, 1A, 3Lo, 3F, 3S

Sean Rabbitt (3rd in FS): 3S, 3Lz+2T, 3Lo, 3F, 3S turnout, 2A, 3Lz, 2A+2T+2T

Hopefully someone who was there last night will chime in with more details.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    My FS jump notes for the top 5 Senior men from watching the live stream last night:

Douglas Razzano (2nd in FS, skated in the 1st group): 3T, 3A, 1A+2T, 3Lz, 3T+2T, 3S, 3Lo, 2A+2T

Jonathan Cassar (4th in FS): 3Lz+3T low landing/hand down, 1A, 3F fall, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3S, 2A+2T, 3Lo+2T

Philip Warren (5th in FS): 3Lz flip out, 3A flip out/considered a fall or not?, 2F, 1A+2T, 3Lz fall, 3S+2T, 3Lo, 3T

Richard Dornbush (1st in FS): 4T fall, 4T fall, 3A, 'Rippon' 2Lz+3T, 1A, 3Lo, 3F, 3S

Sean Rabbitt (3rd in FS): 3S, 3Lz+2T, 3Lo, 3F, 3S turnout, 2A, 3Lz, 2A+2T+2T

Hopefully someone who was there last night will chime in with more details.
    Impressions on the senior men from the rink:

Razzano - IIRC, he didn't rotate any quads in the warm-up, so I wasn't surprised to see him do a triple in the competition. Does he not do the flip anymore? (Did he ever do it?) I was surprised to see him do a 3T-2T combo in the middle of the program. I realize this was a competitive debut, but in both SP and LP, he never seemed relaxed. You could feel him thinking through his programs. I'm also not sure his music in either program helps him. It's very BIIIIG and dramatic, but for reserved skaters like Doug, it can make what they're doing seem distant, rather than elevate them to the audience. Maybe it will work better with more mileage and confidence.

Cassar - Struggled at the beginning but finished strongly. I feel like he is just shy of completely entrancing the audience. Everything about him is grade-A sophistication and maturity, but I can't quite get swept up in his skating yet. I give him +3 GOE for his impeccable hair, though. Someone get this boy a shampoo endorsement!

Warren - I preferred his SP to his LP - LOVED the character of his SP. His LP was a little more generic. Unfortunately, not enough of the jumps were there for him on this night.

Dornbush - I've been an uber for this sleek program since I first saw it back in July. I think it's going to impress a lot of people who are used to Ricky's comedic side. Both of his programs this year are a great direction for him. I wish the quads had been there for him. He was one for three in the warm-up. Here's hoping everything comes together for his first face-off with Weir at Finlandia.

Rabbitt - Was Golden West a great competition for him or what? I think he's in great shape to return to Nationals. You can feel his confidence building each time he competes.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Was that Sarah Feng? Why did they send that sweet little thing out to skate to "Big Spender" and a bunch of other brassy musical jazz? The music cut was a chaotic mashup. How unfortunate.
    They must have been watching "Dance Moms."

Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I agree with you. Cute and fast can only take you so far. At some point one has to slow down and make every movement deliberate.
    That was the strategy last year for Nam Nguyen, his Canadian counterpart, with last year's Beethoven FS and this year's Bach FS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I've been told that Keiser plans to skate the Junior version of her FS tonight at Golden West in preparation for her upcoming JGP. So that means she will take the automatic time deduction since the Senior FS is 30 seconds longer than Junior.
    Do you know why there is only a maximum limit for SP's, but a range requirement for FS?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Do you know why there is only a maximum limit for SP's, but a range requirement for FS?
    I don't know, but I can guess.

Freeskating has a specific time limit for each discipline at each level, with 10 s leeway in either direction, because originally the purpose was to show as much content, with as much quality, as possible in the given time. There were originally no limits on the number of each kind of element, and at the very beginning of freeskating the "elements" were not very important compared to the "in-betweens," so the best way to make programs comparable to each other was to make them last the same amount of time.

It wasn't just "Show us all the best stuff you can do besides school figures" but "Show us as much of the best stuff you can do besides school figures that you can fit into X minutes and Y seconds." That way skaters couldn't get credit for doing twice as much content just because they took twice as long to do it, including multiple attempts at the same skills. But skating for significantly less amount of time would indicate either that you didn't have the stamina to keep skating at that intensity for the same amount of time as your competitors, or else that you didn't have enough different skills to fill the time.

Freeskating has changed significantly in the last hundred years, or even in the last twenty or so, with more difficult elements and rules that limit how many of each kind (and therefore how many elements total) you can include. But it still makes sense to standardize the amount of time all skaters in the same competition are allotted to show their stuff.

(As an aside, this is not the case in adult competition, at least in the US -- the times for adult programs are maximums not set numbers +/- 10. I'm sure this is because adults can vary much more in their stamina capacity, independent of skill level.)

When the short program came in, everyone had to do the same elements with few opportunities for different choices. So there wasn't any worry that a skater would have an advantage by taking more time to do more elements. But taking more time to do the same number of elements could still be an advantage because the skater could build in more places to rest and recover before the next difficult skill. So therefore the rules were "Show us these seven elements, and no others, in no more than X minutes and Y seconds."

Taking less time to complete those seven elements (or eight, between 1989 and 2010) would show greater skill because of less time to rest and/or set up elements. So there was no penalty doing all the required elements more efficiently in less time, but less time also allowed less opportunity to show choreography and transitional moves between the elements, or to earn higher levels on steps and spins in IJS. So most skaters do use almost all the time allowed up to the maximum . . . and as we know occasionally they plan the program so close to the max that if something goes wrong and they're still skating when the clock hits 2:40 or 2:50, they get hit with a time deduction.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Thank you so much gkelly! I originally thought the logic for the SP would have applied to the LP/FS,

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post

Taking less time to complete those seven elements (or eight, between 1989 and 2010) would show greater skill because of less time to rest and/or set up elements. So there was no penalty doing all the required elements more efficiently in less time, but less time also allowed less opportunity to show choreography and transitional moves between the elements, or to earn higher levels on steps and spins in IJS. So most skaters do use almost all the time allowed up to the maximum . . .
    but in the context of the early history of free skating, your explanation makes so much sense. It's like the "You have 30 seconds to do a solo to save yourself -- figure it out" on DWTS.

About differences in the LP, I was catching up on a few missed manleywoman podcasts last night, and when Frances Dafoe noted that she and Norris Bowden were skating a five-minute program, that reminded me of the stamina requirements from her competitive days. Also part of the evolution was the list of elements she and Bowden introduced, and the string of rules prohibiting a number of them.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    So impressed by Sean Rabbit. Daphnis and Chloe is amazing music and he holds his own with it. He looks GREAT on the ice. He better make it out of sectionals. I want to see him at Nats.
    I *really* liked how he chose to edit that piece of music. You think of it as sort of soft and meandering, but he chose exactly the right parts and did an excellent edit! I love his musicality.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456