View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Belousova/Protopopov

81 53.64%
  • Gordeeva/Grinkov

70 46.36%

vCash

Olympic Champion SURVIVOR: Final Round PAIRS

Here we go, the final round for the ultimate OLYMPIC CHAMPION SURVIVOR -- Pairs!

In Round 6, we said goodbye to:

3rd place: RODNINA/ZAITSEV

Vote for the weakest link!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    While the Protopopovs are admirable for competing at an old age, one of the reasons I didn't vote them out earlier, G/G got one OGM and then managed to come back and win another one a decade later against a team (M/D) who had already won the OGM as well. Not to mention their collection of world titles!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    While the Protopopovs are admirable for competing at an old age, one of the reasons I didn't vote them out earlier, G/G got one OGM and then managed to come back and win another one a decade later against a team (M/D) who had already won the OGM as well. Not to mention their collection of world titles!
    G&G did not come back a decade later; just 6 years later. Katia was 16 when they won their first OGM and she was 22 - in her prime- when they won their second. Their second OGM was not without a controversy. G&G won the same number of world titles as the Protopopovs (4 each) and fewer than Rodnina (she won 10!). The Protopopovs greatness is not just that they competed at a relatively advanced age (in their 30's) but because they completely changed the way pairs skating was done. Before them, it was all about doing the elements; they turned it into an art form.

vCash
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

And the Protopopovs will be skating again this year at An Evening With Champions for the Jimmy Fund.

Truly, the most amazing skaters ever, in any discipline.

vCash
    G&G are for me the best ever. So, my vote goes to Protopopovs, even if they are an amazing team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The Protopopovs greatness is not just that they competed at a relatively advanced age (in their 30's) but because they completely changed the way pairs skating was done. Before them, it was all about doing the elements; they turned it into an art form.
    I ADORE both pairs - to me, they are both the greatest pair teams in the history of the sport.

But if I have to choose one as THE greatest, it has to be the Protopopovs in part for the reasons Vash notes above. Ludmila didn't even begin skating until the age of 16, same age as when Katia was when she won her first Olympic title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Protopopov

In 1962, they made the World Championship podium for the first time, earning the silver medal. They were the first pair from the Soviet Union or Russia to win a World medal since the discipline's introduction at the 1908 World Championships (which had only three pairs competing). They also won silver at the European Championships, becoming the second Soviet pair to medal after Nina Zhuk / Stanislav Zhuk (who won silver from 1958 to 1960).

Belousova and Protopopov's first major international gold medal came at the 1964 Winter Olympics. It was the first Olympic pairs gold for the Soviet Union. Belousova and Protopopov began the forty-year Soviet/Russian gold medal streak in pair skating, the longest in Olympic sports history, from 1964 to 2006.

Belousova and Protopopov won their first World and European gold medals in 1965, and in so doing, also became the first Soviet/Russian pair to win those titles.

They became Olympic champions for the second time at the 1968 Winter Olympics. At 32 and 35 years old respectively, they were among the oldest champions in figure skating.

In total, Belousova and Protopopov won two Olympic titles and medaled eight times at both the World and European Championships, including four consecutive World and European gold medals. After retiring from competition, they skated in shows and continue to do so into their 70's.

Belousova and Protopopov contributed to the development of pair skating, including introducing three death spirals – the backward inside (BIDS), forward inside (FIDS), and forward outside (FODS), which they dubbed the Cosmic spiral, Life spiral, and Love spiral, respectively. Dick Button stated: "The Protopopovs are great skaters not only because they were the finest of Olympic champions, but also because their creative impact was extraordinary."
    Protopopovs 1984 World Pros artistic program - Ave Maria - the first time at World Pros that a competitor was awarded all perfect marks. He is 51, and she is 48 here.

As far as Katia and Sergei, it is sad that we are left wondering how much G&G could have accomplished as pros had Sergei not been taken from us at such a young age.

G&G - The Man I Love

vCash
    The incredible Protopovovs largely made pair skating what it was today (or should I say what it was before pairs skating went to the dogs under COP).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The incredible Protopovovs largely made pair skating what it was today (or should I say what it was before pairs skating went to the dogs under COP).
    Exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    G&G did not come back a decade later; just 6 years later. Katia was 16 when they won their first OGM and she was 22 - in her prime- when they won their second. Their second OGM was not without a controversy. G&G won the same number of world titles as the Protopopovs (4 each) and fewer than Rodnina (she won 10!). The Protopopovs greatness is not just that they competed at a relatively advanced age (in their 30's) but because they completely changed the way pairs skating was done. Before them, it was all about doing the elements; they turned it into an art form.
    That's true, not quite a decade.

vCash
    Voting closes Sunday evening. Will it be the legendary Protopopovs or the wonderful G & G?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Protopopovs 1984 World Pros artistic program - Ave Maria - the first time at World Pros that a competitor was awarded all perfect marks. He is 51, and she is 48 here.
    Okay, that clinched it for me. Still doing SBS double salchows at that age and those incredible death spirals! And it's just beautiful skating. I truly love Katia and Sergei, but -- Protopopovs for the win!

vCash
    The Propotovs were the Real Legends and innovators
    G/G were more hype, so I voted for them

come on people vote G/G

vCash
    Besides, who but Oleg ever lost his toupée while skating, and just picked it up and stuck it back on without missing a beat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Besides, who but Oleg ever lost his toupée while skating, and just picked it up and stuck it back on without missing a beat?
    Really?? When was this?

(Hard to imagine having the balls to skate wearing a toupee to begin with...)

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    The Protopopovs revolutionized pair skating and the way it is performed and competed, especially in terms of death spirals. What exactly did G/G do, other than beautiful pair skating in general, to advance the sport?
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    As much as I love G&G, I don't see them as a pair that revolutionized pairs skating. They were beautiful to watch though.

The Protopopovs revolutionized pairs skating (so for this poll, I voted for G&G to be eliminated) and although I am not a fan of Rodnina-Zaitsev, they took the sport to another level, with their daring lifts and speed,which at that time was new. More recently, Mishkutenok-Dmitriev had a bigger impact than G&G, IMO because of their innovative choreography and Artur's contribution to the emotion of the performance (he was not just a frame to the picture; he was a part of it).

vCash
    NOOOO Gordeeva/Grinkov winning
    come one people the Propotovs revolutionized pairs skating
    and they had the longevity, and even until this day can still wow us
    G/G had refined skating but that's it !

haven't we had enough Balsphemy when Yagudin won the mens poll ?

vCash
    In this case, mention of longevity makes me sick.

vCash
    Less than 7 hours to to get your votes in!