Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Cross-posting more hearsay info to this relevant thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by kppt View Post
    I'm betting Najarro's knee isn't 100% yet after her surgery in the spring
    Quote Originally Posted by kppt View Post
    Ralph/Hill are going to Oberstdorf, along with Paul/Islam. I think that sets up our dance teams well to earn points.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Andrei Rogozine is slated to do Oberstdorf, too.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    From BC Summerskate, cut-off for normal minimum target scores:

Senior Dance (125/115):
    Yes: Orford/Williams (139.01) -- Assigned to NHK based on SB 21 (JW)
    No for Senior B: Van As/Shindle (116.59). She's 20, he'll be 20 in December. I'm not sure if they are juniors internationally. They met the JGP minimum of 115.

Junior Dance (125/115)
    Yes: Dalmer/Firus (119.43) for JGP
    No: Bruser/Lum (113.95)

Edwards/Pang: SD only and assigned to JGP this weekend

Senior Men (185/155):
    Yes: Reynolds (216.30) -- with two GPs, he could request a Senior B -- and Ten (192.62) for Senior B; L. Firus (175.05) for JGP
    No: Gordon (136.50) and Godfrey (88.52)*

*Yes, he deserved to be last, but, no, he didn't deserve those appallingly low PCS scores.

Junior Men (185/155)
    Yes: Mitchell (160.15) for JGP
    No: Wolfe (120.99), Cuevas (199.72), and Hori (112.30)

Senior Women (130/115)
    Yes: Kitty Qian (138.30)
    No: Gray (112.90), Leniuk (112.69), Rynn (98.93)
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    L. Firus (175.05) for JGP
    Firus is 19 and has aged out of juniors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Firus is 19 and has aged out of juniors.
    Hasn't Firus been assigned to Skate Canada? If he doesn't make the minimum in Salt Lake does anyone know what will happen?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    He was born on 2 July, and I thought he was the magic age before the magic deadline. He's going to have a tough time as a Senior this year, unless Skate Canada decides to "reserve(s) the right to waive [the minimum score] requirement in extenuating circumstances." He fell on both 3A attempts (SP and FS) at BC Summerskate, and three more times in the FS. He is going to SLC; I hope he's gotten the kinks out of the program.

I wonder if Mark Pillay is his choreographer this year. His 2011-12 programs are still up on his bio, and the choreographer listing might be old.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Hasn't Firus been assigned to Skate Canada? If he doesn't make the minimum in Salt Lake does anyone know what will happen?
    He was (I'm confusing him with his little bro again.)

The minimums guidelines are for JGP and Senior B's, not for GP. Technically, SC could replace any of their host spots, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that, especially since they don't have many choices. There's still a TBA. Rogozine already has one and is high on the sub list (as if they matters), and I suspect they've got Balde or Ten in mind for the spot. Ten fell on his 3A's, too, but landed a bunch, too.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-21-2012 at 05:27 AM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Has SC assigned any ladies to Nebelhorn?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/Developmen...lt.aspx#srintl

Ladies
    • Kaetlyn Osmond

Men
    • Andrei Rogozine
    • Elladj Baldé

Pair None

Ice Dance
    • Kharis Ralph/Asher Hill
    • Alexandra Paul/Mitchell Islam
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Is SC only permitted to send 1 lady to the Senior B events? Only Osmond assigned to Nebelhorn.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The 2012 Nebelhorn Announcement says:
    "Each ISU Member has the right to nominate one competitor for each single event in the NEBELHORN-TROPHY 2012. Member Federations, placed 1 to 10 at the NEBELHORNTROPHY 2011 in the category concerned, are entitled to enter two participants."

Adriana DeSanctis placed 14th last year, while Elladj Baldé was 10th and Samuel Morais 11th.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I wonder who will get the TBD host pick for ladies at Skate Canada. I thought the Salt Lake City and Nebelhorn assignments would give us a clue, but nope!

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia for the info.

SC seems to want to keep it a secret on the TBA for SCI. I don't think after Nebelhorn there is anything else internationally. Desanctis was there last year. But my bet would be on Charbonneau. When you look at the senior scores from the ladies this year, Grenier has scored ok. But that was at Quebec summer skate.

vCash
    Finlandia is still an option.

vCash
    Maybe they wanted to know how was Samson's skating...

vCash
    I'm very glad to see Elladj Baldé get a Senior B assignment. With the improvements that have resulted from his new coaching situation (and, apparently, no injuries), he could do well at Nebelhorn.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    I'm very glad to see Elladj Baldé get a Senior B assignment. With the improvements that have resulted from his new coaching situation (and, apparently, no injuries), he could do well at Nebelhorn.
    Fingers and toes crossed!

vCash
    It is hard to understand SC rationale when it applies to the ladies group. They have selected well for the JGP so far. But then they seem to miss something with the seniors. Knowing they have 2 slots for the US senior B and only send Lacoste. Then with one spot at nebelhorn they send one. So one spot is lost to a potential SCI TBA. Have they decided to go with a youth movement and only giving Lacoste a Senior B because they had to assign her to SCI? Have they lost interest in Charboneau and Grenirer (excluded Najarro and Phaneuf -injury)? I personally agree with the youth movement. Lacoste did not raise any eyebrows at Quebec, Phaneuf is injured, Desanctis has been competing but yawn, and Najarro is injured. That leaves Osmond to lead the way and has shown in summer comps she is willing. Lacoste and Osmond head to head at SCI. I think with the international judging Osmond beats Lacoste. Will be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hohoho View Post
    It is hard to understand SC rationale when it applies to the ladies group. They have selected well for the JGP so far. But then they seem to miss something with the seniors.
    I actually think that what they've done makes a certain amount of sense. I was initially confused by the Lacoste assignment, because I had forgotten that she only has one GP. But I can definitely understand why SC would want their national champion to have a second assignment. And Osmond definitely needed a senior B...I just wish she could get another one. To me, Osmond was by far the most impressive Canadian lady last seaon and desperately needs ISU points because she is way down in 82nd place in the ISU World Rankings. If we had enough spots, I'd send Charbonneau and/or Samson to a Senior B (and Finlandia may still be an option), but not at the expense of Lacoste or especially Osmond.

I've actually been reasonably impressed with the assignments that SC has done so far. All of the skaters who only have one GP (Firus, Rogozine, Lacoste, Osmond, Ralph & Hill) were assigned to a senior B. Paul & Islam got two Bs to help make up for not having a GP. Ten & Balde both get a B, giving a chance to figure one whether one of them (or Rogozine) should get the SC spot. And since Gilles & Poirier are starting out with no ISU points, it's good for them to have a B as well. The JGP assignments also look good, with the first assignments going to the three ladies I think have the most potential and actually using all of the pairs assignments. I'm often very critical of SC's assignment process, so I feel like this is a minor miracle.
    Last edited by Erin; 08-23-2012 at 02:38 AM.

vCash
    I agree with all you are saying. Just wish SC could have sent another to US Senior B

vCash
    I've heard that Kate Charbonneau scored somewhere in the 120s (total score) at the MN State Championships last weekend. I believe that's been her only summer competition this year, correct?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast