Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Skate Canada's international selection criteria for Senior B & JGP assignments

2012/2013 International Selection Junior Grand Prix and Sr. International Events document including the benchmark target scores: http://www.skatecanada.ca/Portals/2/...riteria-EN.pdf
    Under normal development circumstances, skaters who meet the following minimum
    technical scores in 2012 summer competition season may be considered for an assignment.
    Skate Canada reserves the right to waive this requirement in extenuating circumstances.

NORMAL MINIMUM TARGET SCORES
    Jr. Grand Prix
    Demonstrated Benchmark 155 (Men) 115 (Ladies) 120 (Pairs) 115 (Dance)
    Sr. International
    Demonstrated Benchmark 185 (Men) 130 (Ladies) 140 (Pairs) 125 (Dance)
    In addition to the Salt Lake entries (see below), Kevin Reynolds and Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje have been assigned to the Ondrej Nepela Memorial:
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/Developmen...lt.aspx#srintl

Salt Lake City Senior B assignments:
    Amélie Lacoste, Jeremy Ten, Liam Firus, Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch and Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers; plus Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier and Alexandra Paul/Mitchell Islam.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-15-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: to edit in the missing dance entries
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Thanks for posting that. I'll be looking to see if any of the ladies at Thornhill this weekend can break 130.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    2012/2013 International Selection Junior Grand Prix and Sr. International Events document including the benchmark target scores: http://www.skatecanada.ca/Portals/2/...riteria-EN.pdf

In addition to the Salt Lake entries (see below), Kevin Reynolds and Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje have been assigned to the Ondrej Nepela Memorial:
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/Developmen...lt.aspx#srintl

Salt Lake City Senior B assignments: Amélie Lacoste, Jeremy Ten, Liam Firus, Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch and Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers
    It appears to me that SC has a more rational approach than USFS, one that is based on current abilities and performance, not solely on how the skater performed back in January. Just my humble opinion.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    "All skaters will be required to compete at a summer competition completing all portions of the event (SD, FD / SP, FP) "

Amelie Lacoste did the FS only at the Quebec summer competition. Yet she has already been assigned to the US International "B" event in SLC. I'm sure this won't be the only example of a deviation from the "standards". Every year, SC issues standards but has been known to ignore them when giving out assignments. Not quite as rational as one might like.

It's also more than a little irrational to suggest that "preference" for JGP assignments would be given to skaters who have 3/3s. Maybe one or two men can do a 3/3, but I can't remember the last time a Canadian lady has had a 3/3 ratified.

Skate Canada has traditionally given JGP assignments to Senior ladies who are still age eligible, even if they don't skate well in summer events. This year, all the seniors except Osmond and Chartrand aged out, which is why this year, two 2012 Nationals junior medalists were chosen. However, Chartrand hasn't performed that well at her summer events, while Sandrine Martin has performed very well at both Liberty and Quebec, yet Chartrand got a JGP assignment and Martin did not.

BTW, USFS does take summer performance into consideration. Last season, Gracie Gold (who didn't make it to 2011 Nationals) did get a JGP assignment.
    Last edited by euterpe; 08-15-2012 at 09:55 PM.

vCash
    Salt Lake City Senior B assignments: Amélie Lacoste, Jeremy Ten, Liam Firus, Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch and Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers
    Also Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier, Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam

vCash
    Oops! Too fast a copy/paste job. Fixed.

I hope Kate Charbonneau [41.14 (SP) + 91.63 (FS Final round) = 132.77 at Skate Detroit] will get a Senior B opportunity at Nebelhorn or Finlandia.

Kaetlyn Osmond was the highest scoring Canadian lady at Skate Detroit with a combined score of 141.72 [41.69 (SP) + 100.03 (FS Final round)].

ETA: Jeremy Ten scored 186.99 at Glacier Falls (123.61 FS). Andrei Rogozine scored 179.37 at Skate Detroit (113.65 FS) and is scheduled to compete at Thornhill this weekend.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-15-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Charbonneau should have gotten a shot at this competition. She met the minimum score by SC. She also has a full competition under her at Detroit. Lacoste hasn't even competed a SP yet and technically doesn't meet the criteria

vCash
    Has Kevin Reynolds competed yet this summer? It's possible that 2012 World team members are exempt from the published criteria...

vCash
    Has Kevin Reynolds competed yet this summer? It's possible that 2012 World team members are exempt from the published criteria...
    Reynolds is scheduled to compete at BC Summerskate this week.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I wonder if they will use summer scores to choose the TBD spot for ladies at Skate Canada. Maybe Charbonneau is being considered for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    It appears to me that SC has a more rational approach than USFS, one that is based on current abilities and performance, not solely on how the skater performed back in January. Just my humble opinion.
    THIS x infinity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Amelie Lacoste did the FS only at the Quebec summer competition. Yet she has already been assigned to the US International "B" event in SLC. I'm sure this won't be the only example of a deviation from the "standards". Every year, SC issues standards but has been known to ignore them when giving out assignments. Not quite as rational as one might like.
    The document also says, "For all assignments - Preference may be given to skaters who have attained a score that demonstrates a top 5 placement potential at that level of competition. The score must have been achieved at an international competition in the previous season."

Lacoste is the current Canadian champion and achieved the minimum score at 2012 Worlds. I see nothing untoward in this assignment.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Any idea if Elladj Balde is skating at a summer event?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    All I know is that he finished 4th in the SP (scored 63.68) at Skate Detroit in late July but did not compete his FS.

ETA: Just read in the Canadian summer competitions thread in Kiss and Cry that Andrei Rogozine competed at WOS Summer Sizzle. He improved his total score from Skate Detroit to 195.03 (62.32 SP + 132.71 FS).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    ... I can't remember the last time a Canadian lady has had a 3/3 ratified.
    Kaetlyn Osmond landed a gorgeous 3T+3T in the SP at the '12 WJC

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I don't know but I read this on Jeremy Abbott's twitter:

“@jeremyabbottpcf: Watch for my boy @elladjbalde this year his free program is #SICK”

vCash
    Who did the choreo for Balde?

vCash
    Carmelengo was supposed to be doing Elladje's FS but it wasn't ready for Detroit Skate.

vCash
    I hear that V/M will be returning to Finlandia for a warm-up to their season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kppt View Post
    I hear that V/M will be returning to Finlandia for a warm-up to their season
    that'd be nice

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast