Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    What about Sasha Cohen? Wasn’t she interested in pairs at one point? She’s the right size, she’s local, she has no problem with 3T, they’re both pupils of Mr. Nicks….

Didn’t she and Rockne practice pairs a couple of years ago for something, too?

vCash
    Coming out of lurkdom to post my shock. But I agree with Leafygreens, I seriously believe that if MaryBeth had an injury, it would have been reported.
    Got to be some other reason and I don't think it's finances either. Wouldn't they be getting $ help with their 2nd place National's finish and potential for the US?
    So I'm sure it's some other serious issue with her.
    Kathryn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by daisies View Post
    What about Sasha Cohen? Wasn’t she interested in pairs at one point? She’s the right size, she’s local, she has no problem with 3T, they’re both pupils of Mr. Nicks….

I tend to doubt Sasha's being interested as this point, as it appears that she has moved on. She was prominently presented in an interview on CNBC and her interest in Finance and Wall Street, given her current studies at Columbia.
    Given the above, I just can't see it happening.

vCash

Now that would be

I'm sad and surprised to hear of this split.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    I tend to doubt Sasha's being interested as this point, as it appears that she has moved on. She was prominently presented in an interview on CNBC and her interest in Finance and Wall Street, given her current studies at Columbia.
    Sasha Cohen has moved to NYC - here's the recent thread / CNBC video interview link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84554
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Cohen is in business school right now- I think she has moved on from skating. Besides, she'd be nearly 30 by Sochi.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, and it's up to the individual skaters (and their families) to decide how much they are willing to sacrifice. In the big picture of life, "the Olympics" isn't everything for everyone.
    No it's not, but when you're not pursuing an individual discipline, it's extremely unfortunate for your partner if in fact the Olympics does seem to be everything for him or her.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash

Although I know that will NEVER happen, that would've been an absolutely gorgeous pairing!
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Reminds me of a really, really talented young 16 year old dancer at my school. So talented that my teacher called me to tell me I needed to see her new prodigy. My teacher was ready to take her to Varna or Moscow competition -- and she was very selective about who went to competitions. The girl suddenly decided she wanted to be on the cheerleading squad at high school and go to the prom and had no time for ballet. And just quit. You never know with a teenager.
    You can have all the talent in the world at something, but if your heart is not in it- if you don't enjoy it- no use in continuing, no matter what any one else says. If this is what happened to Marley, I understand. I know how it feels, having been through a similar situation a few years back.

The flip side is, of course, that M/B are hardly the first top US pair to split quickly in the past few years. Constant shifting at the top in pairs virtually guarantees that the US will stay right where it is for the foreseeable future. You don't see all this shifting around at the top in US ice dance, for instance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Cohen is in business school right now- I think she has moved on from skating. Besides, she'd be nearly 30 by Sochi.
    I don't consider age to be a factor, but, yes, her having moved and enrolled in school is definitely a deal breaker. They would have made a fantastic team, though!

vCash
    just another circle of life in the drama that is American Pairs

vCash
    I don't consider age to be a factor, but, yes, her having moved and enrolled in school is definitely a deal breaker. They would have made a fantastic team, though!
    I mentioned age because like it or not, there is a certain time period in which you peak, and you can only take so much of a beating before your body quits on you. Just ask scores of "comeback" athletes who had the heart and the will, but not the body, to do it.

She ALREADY attempted a comeback two years ago only to get injured (she wasn't getting any younger) and be taken out of the running. She has moved on, but I'm saying that even if she WANTED to return, it would be doubtful whether she could.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    She ALREADY attempted a comeback two years ago ...
    three years ago! how quickly time passes
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I mentioned age because like it or not, there is a certain time period in which you peak, and you can only take so much of a beating before your body quits on you. Just ask scores of "comeback" athletes who had the heart and the will, but not the body, to do it.

She ALREADY attempted a comeback two years ago only to get injured (she wasn't getting any younger) and be taken out of the running. She has moved on, but I'm saying that even if she WANTED to return, it would be doubtful whether she could.
    Cohen has always been injury prone regardless of age... Skating when approaching 30 and pretty much learning a brand new discipline of skating (which happens to involve being thrown across the ice) when approaching 30 are also two very different things.

vCash
    I just saw this thread. I am shocked and disappointed.

vCash

I hear you, but pairs is different than singles. She wouldn’t have to work on any solo triple jumps more difficult than 3S and 3T. I don’t know if she can master difficult throw triples, but the assistance on the throw is definitely a benefit.

(I’m not saying it’s not hard, it’s just different.)

I know it's a pipe dream, but I have to believe this has crossed both Rockne’s and Sasha’s minds.

vCash
    This was the last thing I was expecting. I'm disappointed as well. Something is up that we don't know about. Mary Beth must have a very good reason to step away..

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash

I think her jumping days are behind her.

vCash
    Will any new partner be compared to "The Ghost of Marley"? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I hope he can find a good partner, soon. It does seem odd that two partners in a row quit skating, all together.

vCash
    I'm really sad about this. They were one of my favourite pairs. I'm starting to wonder if Rockne is difficult to work with though, since both his partners quit and Marley didn't say she had an injury or anything like that.

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast