Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    O-M-G. And herewith is the problem with US pairs.

As someone said upthread, the 2d spot will be wide open now.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I really feel for both Rockne and Mary Beth -- they accomplished SO much in their 2 seasons together. I thought they showed improvements as a pair in their "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" FS video from L.A. Open in July and I was really looking forward to seeing this program develop during the season. I wish the two of them only the best.

Side note: Teams split for many different reasons and the decision to split is not taken lightly in most cases. This is not a problem that's unique to U.S. teams.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wow, I'm just baffled by this news!

Their Umbrellas of Cherbourg LP was such a great step forward for them.

I hope Donlan & Speroff can take advantage of this. That 2nd worlds spot is wide open now.

vCash
    Andea Poapst has been in the US for a while and has competed at US Nationals. She may have a green card at this point. The process to get the US citizenship would be doable in the medium-term but not for Sochi. She is a great pair skater. Does she have a 3T?

vCash
    Holy crap! OK there is a "WHAT HAPPENED" in here somewhere.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Side note: Teams split for many different reasons and the decision to split is not taken lightly in most cases. This is not a problem that's unique to U.S. teams.
    Absolutely. This happens in all countries. It happens more often in US pairs in part because as thin as we are in pairs, we still have more teams than most countries (resulting in more opportunities to see splits). I don't even see it as a real problem, or at least not a problem that can realistically be fixed. It just seems like the nature of the discipline.

vCash
    ((Rockne))

vCash
    I saw them skate at AN EVENING ON ICE just last month.

Shocked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Rockne could ask Keauna if she wants to return to competitive skating.
    Keauna was the girl for him, but she probably doesn't want anything to do with competitive skating. Plus she seems happy post-skating.

Someone should twett her the news just in case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Andea Poapst has been in the US for a while and has competed at US Nationals. She may have a green card at this point. The process to get the US citizenship would be doable in the medium-term but not for Sochi. She is a great pair skater. Does she have a 3T?
    Nope she does not and not great lift positions, throws, or jumps although everything else is amazing!!!!. SHe is also a proud Canadian so becoming a US citizen is not something I think she or her family would go for....Also she gave her last partner an ultimatum to move with her or else and I believe that Rockne gave Knierim advise to not move as I believe somewhere he regrets his initial move from CS.and the ultimatum KM gave him to move or else.....it was obviously good for knierim given his new successful partnership.... as a partner should never do that to a person in a pair relationship guess it happens though.... That said she is a beautiful skater but knowing that I am not sure Rockne would put himself in that position with a partner again like he did with KM...a partner that cannot jump and that thinks they are in a position to give the person they skate with ultimatums...just seems so wrong...so....although it is a fine idea that coupled with the citizenship problems...ummm NO.

Caitlin is a great fit given the power they both have. Also the maturity between them would be awesome to see. Rockne is very powerful and if caitlin skated with Doniel Cohen ?? in Novice I think... he is about the same size as Rockne....it could very well work!
    Wish MBM the very best....something must have happened injury? or something. They would not have broken up unless there was some sort of pain involved and it is so sad to see that. I hope they both find happiness...

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I really liked them at Nationals, and thought the Olympics were in reach.

vCash
    Feeling gutted right now. I loved this team and believed they could be the best the U.S. has had in years. I just saw them skate twice this summer! Ugh. And here I was looking forward not to just 2014 but 2018.

vCash
    Maybe they are not through...could it be a mistake? Or a rash decision...?? At this point you never know what could happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolsk8tr View Post
    Maybe they are not through...could it be a mistake? Or a rash decision...?? At this point you never know what could happen.
    Nothing is guaranteed, but I think if they went through the trouble of putting out the press release, it's over. Pairs can be split for weeks and months without a press releases going out. But having an announcement put out there is an official signal that Rockne is looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolsk8tr View Post
    Nope she does not and not great lift positions, throws, or jumps although everything else is amazing!!!!. SHe is also a proud Canadian so becoming a US citizen is not something I think she or her family would go for....Also she gave her last partner an ultimatum to move with her or else and I believe that Rockne gave Knierim advise to not move as I believe somewhere he regrets his initial move from CS.and the ultimatum KM gave him to move or else.....it was obviously good for knierim given his new successful partnership.... as a partner should never do that to a person in a pair relationship guess it happens though.... That said she is a beautiful skater but knowing that I am not sure Rockne would put himself in that position with a partner again like he did with KM...a partner that cannot jump and that thinks they are in a position to give the person they skate with ultimatums...just seems so wrong...so....although it is a fine idea that coupled with the citizenship problems...ummm NO.

Caitlin is a great fit given the power they both have. Also the maturity between them would be awesome to see. Rockne is very powerful and if caitlin skated with Doniel Cohen ?? in Novice I think... he is about the same size as Rockne....it could very well work!
    Wish MBM the very best....something must have happened injury? or something. They would not have broken up unless there was some sort of pain involved and it is so sad to see that. I hope they both find happiness...
    What? Cohen is listed at 6 feet. Rockne is absolutely nowhere near that, and Caitlin needs someone as close to 6 ft as possible.

I don't really understand your post, but just because some skaters would prefer to only train in certain places, it doesn't mean that they are doing something bad. If you look at icepartnersearch, there are plenty of skaters who list themselves as unwilling to relocate or undecided about where they would be willing to skate. One of the challenges of pair skating is getting both partners to agree on a number of major issues. Sometimes sacrifices are required to keep the team as a whole working. That has nothing to do with Poapst not wanting to be a US citizen.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    just saw this.

gutted
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Awk!!..What is going on this year ?

They were so promising. Stunned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Sometimes sacrifices are required to keep the team as a whole working.

SO BEYOND TRUE.....

vCash
    I guess the only word I can come up with is "Wow". speechless, really.

Something must have happened to/with Marley for her to quit so early. Yes, it's likely personal business and thus not available to fans, but as much of a shock as it seems to us, I don't think this exactly came out of nowhere. SOMETHING went down, and very recently too, it seems.

Still though- if USFS or other entity does not provide SOME incentive (or assistance) to pair teams to help them stay together, we will continue to languish in the discipline. Simple as that.

vCash
    Sad and, at this point, unexpected news. Rockne really have bad luck!

In the place 4 hours due East of where George Spiteri has his workshop
    vCash
    (Banging Head) (Banging Head)

WTH?

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast