Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

vCash

Question

Has Rockne got a triple axle? Maybe he could skate singles? Just sayin...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Bring back Jennifer Kirk!!!!!

vCash
    What ever happened to Erica Choi Smith? She was a great skater with Nathan Bartholomew in Junior and I thought she was the star of that team! I wonder if she would be to tall for Rockne as Nathan has always struck me as pretty short as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    McLaughlin/Brubaker clearly started to struggle when she became close to him in height and went from having a girl's to a woman's body.
    Sure, it had to be more challenging for them once Keauna grew. Less room for error. The big tricks were still doable, but they had to adjust. But they were never really "close in height". You've repeatedly mentioned in this thread how big and tall she was. In the lead-up to the Olympics, she was still rather small (despite not looking like a little kid or unhealthy) and probably no more than 5'1" (she was listed at 5'0"). Rockne is just that short. No matter how good he is, one of his biggest issues is that he is one of the shortest Sr pair guys out there. Marley stayed 4'9" at least up until now, and I think it may have led to some people having a distorted view of Rockne's height. As a result, they are suggesting girls like 5'3" Yankowskas for him Some people think Caitlin's smaller than she actually is because they are picturing her with the massive 6'2" Coughlin.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 08-17-2012 at 06:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Bring back Jennifer Kirk!!!!!
    Bring back Angela Maxwell!

Boy, I hated to see her vanish. I could really see her as a pair girl.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Gee, I wish I was 20 years younger and a much better skater .. I'm short enough for Rockne.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Has Rockne got a triple axle? Maybe he could skate singles? Just sayin...
    It seems that in the U.S., skaters go into pairs and dance if they don't have the skill set for singles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

You are being very naive again.

I'm sure that a number of female pair skaters who already have partners nowhere near as good as Rockne would definitely consider trying out with him.

Remember how Denney/Coughlin were formed?

And I know other stories of a pairs or dance skater turning up for practice to find out their partner is practising with somebody else.

Whether or not you feel that I'm being "naive again" or whether I feel that you are being presumptuous "again," really has nothing to do with the situation that Rockne is currently facing, nor does your presumptuousness or your feeling that I'm being "naive again" actually add anything of relevance to the conversation. So let's put that aside.

As far as your feeling "sure" that there "are a number of female pairs skaters who would definitely consider trying out with Rockne," despite the fact they already have partners is something I'm not sure how you can conclude without doing a survey. Probably everyone in skating has a lot of respect for Rockne and likely feel bad for him having to go through losing two partners over the last several years especially when he was involved in successful partnerships.

OTOH, anyone who already has a partner and "would consider trying out" with Rockne is obviously not very committed to their current partnership and in that case should probably not have entered into it in the first place, IMO. Of course, what you said Ziggy might be true, but if true, then I think (as others have expressed as well) that is perhaps one of the sources of the problems of constant break-ups among U.S. pairs. If both partners in a pairs team are not fully committed to their own partnership and at the "hint of a split" or at the moment of another pairs break-up they start looking at one or more individuals who are available (or even at individuals who are not actually available) as potential partner(s), then how far do you think any U.S. pairs team will actually get toward improvement and moving to the top internationally? If anyone in a current partnership is considering or fantasizing about Rockne as a pairs partner, then what's the use of them even going through the season with their current partner? If the current teams don't have the same level of commitment and enthusiasm and mutual goals, then they are all wasting their time. And this is NOT at all a comment on M/B's break-up because I don't know any details about what prompted their split.

While many or perhaps all of the current U.S. teams may be sorry for Rockne, they may also be looking at how the M/B break-up provides an opportunity for them to nab the second spot at Nationals. The questions they should be more focused on IMO are: How committed are they to their current partner?; What are their mutual goals and aspirations?; What are some of the obstacles they might be facing on and off the ice?; What are the areas in which they need to improve in order to compete successfully nationally and internationally?

Now, back to Rockne's predicament ...
    Last edited by aftershocks; 08-17-2012 at 05:41 PM.

vCash
    He has quite a dillema right now. He really is short and most of the pair girls suggested in the thread with or without a partner are way too tall for him (Ashley Cain, Becky Bereswell, Amanda Dobbs, Yanakowskas, and so on...). I just don't see anyone out there for him for this season. He could take on a lower level pair skater or a singles skater, but I just don't see them being ready in time for Sochi. He needs someone who has at least some promising senior pair experience, IMO and someone closer to his age. I thin the age difference was a big factor in their issues. From the crop of skaters in last years nationals I can only think of Castelli and Evora as being size appropriate for him, but I can't recall the first (lower group) of senior pairs that well.

vCash
    I always wondered what happened with the Sasha tryout, thought she would have made a great pair skater. Maybe it's not too late?

vCash
    He will probably team up with a new partner in the same way that he teamed up with MBM: Someone petite and relatively unknown to the world of pairs; perhaps, a singles skater with nice basics looking to change, or even a lady pairs skater with whom we are just not familiar. Deedee Leng, who was a singles skater, '09 Jr. National Champion, was out of competition for a while due to injury, has teamed up with Tim LeDuc and she's motoring through her tests.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

vCash
    What about Brooke Castile? She's a short, strong, former national champ and hasn't been out of skating that long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    What about Brooke Castile? She's a short, strong, former national champ and hasn't been out of skating that long.
    She's 5-1 (according to Wiki) and 26 yrs. old. Also, she's been retired from competition for 2.5 yrs and prone to injuries. I don't think this would work even under the theory she wanted to return and was looking for a partner.

vCash
    Does she still even have her eligibility? Didn't she do some TV show?

vCash
    Skaters that have lost their USFS eligibility are allowed to reinstate their eligibility once (IMO, Castile has been out too long to come back).

ETA: Castile participated in ABC's "Skating with the Stars" in late 2010.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    Does she still even have her eligibility? Didn't she do some TV show?
    She skated with Corey Feldman on Danding on Ice.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Deedee Leng, who was a singles skater, '09 Jr. National Champion, was out of competition for a while due to injury, has teamed up with Tim LeDuc and she's motoring through her tests.
    She did have a bit more than 16 days though... (has she passed senior yet? I know she sky rocketed to junior.) I really hope Rockne finds a partner and is able to train and do some non-quals this year, but I think his season is very sadly over.

I am so curious what the circumstance was that they trained all new routines, were gearing up for the season and the split occured when it did. It is just such an unlikely time for a split of the #2 pair of a country to happen. What in the world caused it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    She did have a bit more than 16 days though... (has she passed senior yet? I know she sky rocketed to junior.)
    The Indiana club where Leng/LeDuc are training has a test date scheduled on Friday, August 31 (last day before the USFS qualifying season deadline) so Leng can take her Senior Pair test then, if she hasn't done so already.

ETA: When Marley/Brubaker teamed up in the late summer of 2010, she took her initial pair tests through Novice in Chicago (IIRC) and her final 2 tests with Rockne in California in August.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-17-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Lovely skater but could never do more than a shaky double axel. Loved the team, loved that they won Nationals, but she just isn't strong enough technically on the singles side to be viable. BTW, Keauna did the same show so the same issues of reinstating would be applied to her as Brooke. If we are taking skaters out of retirement (if they would even want to do that at this point) Amanda Evora is by far the best bet for him. They would make a lovely couple and she hasn't been out of the game long, won't grow, is probably still in decent shape and has proven to be very commited in partnerships and her skating. Longshot, but I think it would be a great pairing. Although it seems she has moved on to other endeavors in her life.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast