Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 56 of 56
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,430
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    They could just let everybody skate the SP in two groups like before.
    What were the years they did this? I remember qualifying skaters in two groups, back when they made everybody skate in the Q round. It was awful. It seemed every year one group was distinctly weaker than the other and there was no consistency between the two judging panels. That one didn't last long.

    I can't imagine how they could fairly implement any system where points are added into the result without having everyone marked by the same judges.

  2. #42
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,200
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43906
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    What were the years they did this?
    From 2007-2010, or for four seasons, there were no preliminary rounds. Preliminary rounds were re-instated in 2011, but not with the entire fields.

    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I remember qualifying skaters in two groups, back when they made everybody skate in the Q round. It was awful. It seemed every year one group was distinctly weaker than the other and there was no consistency between the two judging panels. That one didn't last long.
    In fact, they lasted from at least thirteen seasons, from 1993-1994, and from 1996-2006. Wikipedia only shows (sometimes partial) results for the SP and LP/FS in 1991-2 and 1995.

    With the implementation of preliminaries in 2011, there were anomalies in field strength, as countries that qualified more skaters in 2011 than in 2010 had to send one skater to the prelims. Reigning silver medalist Takahiko Kozuka, for example, had to skate prelims, because his World Standing was third of the three Japanese men.

    Because not everyone skates the preliminary round, the scores are dropped. There was no reason that the ISU couldn't have dropped the quali scores as well, even when everyone skated them, and just use them as a way to cut down the field to 30/25/20.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by halfloopy View Post
    Israeli federation protests the new minimum TES scores. ....

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in the centre
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,559
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2426
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    But then this is the ISU's fault. They could just let everybody skate the SP in two groups like before.
    wheee, 50+ ladiezzzzzz, from 9 am to 5 pm!

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,430
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There was no reason that the ISU couldn't have dropped the quali scores as well, even when everyone skated them,
    For most of that time, the qualifying or preliminary rounds were just that. They served to eliminate skaters, but scores/placements did not carry forward into the event itself. I think that change was made in the mid 90s, because the best skaters were not attempting their full program content in the Q round, only doing enough to make sure they got thru to the SP. That made those rounds kind of a let down for audiences and of little interest to TV broadcasters. In an effort to wring even more money out of broadcasters, the ISU made this round count something like 10% of the total final score, so name skaters would make more of an effort. (Ordinals were factored from the 3 phases in a ratio of 1-3-6, IIRC.)


    From 2007-2010, or for four seasons, there were no preliminary rounds.
    I didn't remember the skaters competing in separate groups, though, as someone suggested above. I thought the conversation at the time was that the judges and/or callers found it very difficult to work thru that many programs. I'm pretty sure it was lessons from this experiment that caused the ISU to decide to set the 30 skater limit for short programs.
    Last edited by Susan M; 08-19-2012 at 09:15 PM.

  6. #46
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,200
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43906
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    For most of that time, the qualifying or preliminary rounds were just that. They served to eliminate skaters, but scores/placements did not carry forward into the event itself. I think that change was made in the mid 90s, because the best skaters were not attempting their full program content in the Q round, only doing enough to make sure they got thru to the SP.
    Which is normal in just about every other sport where there are prelims, qualis, early heats, round robin. The athletes attempt to peak in the final. Since there are few spectators at figure skating quali rounds, and the $$$ is supposedly in entry fees, they shouldn't have cared if Plushenko, for example, came in and did a 3F as his hardest jump in the qualis and sleep walked through his program, as long as the numbers added up. Also, if they're so convinced in their own WR system, they could have given a bye to anyone above a WR cut-off, and now that they have a SB list for the current season, they could have done the same with SB.

    A change in the mid-'90's would have been most of the years in which there were quali rounds.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    'Me so ashamed of my English'
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,016
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I objected to him buying a fcking bronze medal for his daughter and fostering the underhanded, bribe the block disease that riddled the sport for a decade. This scumbag is still in the sport? Prize prick.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,482
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I thought the conversation at the time was that the judges and/or callers found it very difficult to work thru that many programs. I'm pretty sure it was lessons from this experiment that caused the ISU to decide to set the 30 skater limit for short programs.
    I only remember Cinquanta complaining, not the actual panels.

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    104
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The scumbag,will unfortunately be in the sport buying skater judges and anyone he can
    For his daughters career. But good news is most judges and federations can't stand him
    Guess his daughter will have a tougher time with the criteria and it will be harder for them to try and buy the panel so her teams can make it in, thus the protest

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In Saransk, RUS with Gordi Pots
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,057
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    wheee, 50+ ladiezzzzzz, from 9 am to 5 pm!
    Like at the 2008 and 2009 worlds... I survived both!!!

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    psfoty's neighbourhood
    Posts
    8,684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    22404
    Quote Originally Posted by bruno6 View Post
    The scumbag,will unfortunately be in the sport buying skater judges and anyone he can
    For his daughters career. But good news is most judges and federations can't stand him
    Guess his daughter will have a tougher time with the criteria and it will be harder for them to try and buy the panel so her teams can make it in, thus the protest

    His daughter coaches skaters from 3 different countries at least (Japan, Ukraine and Israel, am sure there are more). She'll be just fine.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    104
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Right, Japan choked at worlds didn't make it thru Qualifiying. israel didn't Q at junior worlds or worlds and Ukraine well papaB surly bought Ukraine Judges, you right she will
    Be fine!

  13. #53
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,200
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43906
    Chris Reed was injured last Fall and was never at full strength last season.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    278
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Gailhaguet has also taken up the cause now and is proposing yet another qualification approach, which he would like put into use ASAP. Seems like he want a lower TES scores to make the championships about the same size as the former final rounds, but then also add a semi-final, if they guess wrong and too many skaters make the TES cut.

  15. #55

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,638
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    ^^^ Is there a link?

    For reference, here's the original thread on the topic: Minimum Total Technical Scores for 2012-13 ISU Championships (including Jr Worlds)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    278
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ^^^ Is there a link?

    For reference, here's the original thread on the topic: Minimum Total Technical Scores for 2012-13 ISU Championships (including Jr Worlds)
    http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...Scores%202.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •