Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oakl0008 View Post
    Hi snoopysnake. On the very first post of this thread, an early icenetwork article was quoted on this year's show with Sawyer listed a performer. So I was a bit suprised since he was out of competition since mid 2011, therefore wouldn't have any events of that sort to attend, and it looked like he was well recieved last year (although who wasn't for attending a charity event of this kind) unless I am mistaken. I do understand though that the lineup can change at any moment for any reason. And this years lineup looks good.
    I remember one show where about six of the acts in the program book did not appear. (One of those was Rory Flack.) They hastily prepared an insert page on some of the substitutes. One was Rudy Galindo. This was between the breakup of Yamaguchi/Galindo in pairs and Rudy's win at Nationals. I was really impressed with his y-spin!

Last year was a very different crowd, as there were so many Yu-Na Kim fans who had come from long distances to see her! The shows sold out quickly and they delayed the entrance into the small venue, resulting in long lines outside the arena. Early arrivals could not come in to watch the rehearsals (which for me has always been a favorite feature of these shows.)

Shawn was indeed well-received last year and I'm sure will be again if he comes back to EWC in the future.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Last year was a very different crowd, as there were so many Yu-Na Kim fans who had come from long distances to see her! The shows sold out quickly and they delayed the entrance into the small venue, resulting in long lines outside the arena. Early arrivals could not come in to watch the rehearsals (which for me has always been a favorite feature of these shows.)
    It didn't help that it was fairly cold outside while we had to line up, great depression-style before we could get inside the arena. This was the first time I saw this sell-out-type turnout since I've been going to EWC, so the organizers must have been very happy. Both with the increased profile of the show and what I assume were increased ticket sales and revenue.

vCash
    Can anyone who has been to the show give some idea of how cold it usually is?

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Can anyone who has been to the show give some idea of how cold it usually is?
    A sweatshirt or sweater has always been good enough for me, and I tend to always feel cold. I've never had to wear my coat or gloves inside, if that helps at all.

Although if you are walking to the arena from Harvard Square, it can get windy walking over the bridge and I've regretted in those moments not bringing a coat.

vCash
    In my opinion the arena is fairly warm. The hockey glass will be up so that would keep the cold from the ice on the ice. I usually don't wear my coat or jacket inside, if I've worn one outside. Sometimes this show's been held in Indian Summer weather, sometimes it's been very chilly out. That's autumn in New England! This year's show is earlier in the year than it usually is.

vCash
    Oh, the Hockey glass is going to be up? I'd have chosen different seats if I realized that, probably.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Oh, the Hockey glass is going to be up? I'd have chosen different seats if I realized that, probably.
    I don't recall it not being up at any of these shows, and I attend nearly every year. I suppose taking it down and putting it back afterwards would be expensive and thus reducing the charity's revenue, and/or disruptive to the rink's use for hockey.

vCash
    ^^^ You're correct on both counts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    I don't recall it not being up at any of these shows, and I attend nearly every year. I suppose taking it down and putting it back afterwards would be expensive and thus reducing the charity's revenue, and/or disruptive to the rink's use for hockey.
    I've never been before. I just didn't think of it.

vCash
    FWIW, I never found the hockey glass at Bright distracting. Depending on how many tickets they sell, you might be able to move away from the ice seats if it bothers you. I only saw the rink packed to the brim when YuNa was here last year. In the past, you were able to find a couple of empty seats and move there.

And, Bright is fairly warm for a rink. I skate there now for their FS sessions and even at 7 am when it's completely empty, I end up skating in a t-shirt by the end of the session. Think a light jacket or hoodie should be enough for the show, but it all depends on how easily you get cold, as well.

vCash
    Are they sold out? Thinking of going, since I'll be in Boston this week-end. Just need to convince the bf!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Are they sold out? Thinking of going, since I'll be in Boston this week-end. Just need to convince the bf!
    Not at all; at least, not based on their website

https://www.boxoffice.harvard.edu/Online/

You can also try & buy discounted tickets at the door before the show (just bring a student id with you). Think they were $10 last year.

http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/faqs.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Not at all; at least, not based on their website

https://www.boxoffice.harvard.edu/Online/

You can also try & buy discounted tickets at the door before the show (just bring a student id with you). Think they were $10 last year.

http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/faqs.html
    My student ID expired 10 years ago unfortunately...and I went to a rival school. but my bf is a student, so thanks for the tip.

I don't see the Protopopov on the list anymore. Is he ok?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    I don't see the Protopopov on the list anymore. Is he ok?
    I saw both of them at Lake Placid Labor Day Weekend for the Jr GP and both looked fab! They were in the stands watching a lot of the skating, and during some of the pairs, Oleg was in the K n C area watching.

vCash
    Sorry for all the questions, does anyone know what the camera policy is likely to be? I generally take pictures with no flash with a point and shoot camera, so nothing too fancy and no video. Just wondering if I should expect to be able to do that or not.

vCash
    Sounds like you should be fine. Last year's show policy states:
    "3) Photographs - Flash photography is not permitted at the shows. Video recording is also not permitted at the shows."

I came across this in the FAQ: http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/faqs.html
    "When and where will the show be broadcast on television?

As of 2008, the show is no longer being broadcast on television, but it will be posted on IceNetwork."

Will this be a first? (EWC on-demand video being on IN)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks! I haven't had problem with it anywhere else but I like to know in advance so that I don't break any rules.

vCash
    We raffled off the tickets at GS, and eyria won!

And I'm so taken with the show, I'm going myself-what a wonderful bonus that Jason Brown will be skating!

vCash
    Got a little sneak peek Friday night at Harvard and just had to say what an amazing group of young people (both on and off the ice). Should be a great show!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    And I'm so taken with the show, I'm going myself-what a wonderful bonus that Jason Brown will be skating!
    Delighted for you, Doris!
    I'm glad that you will have a chance to see Jason.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast