Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Harvard's "An Evening with Champions" annual benefit show ~ September 29-30, 2012

Article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    (08/14/2012) - Tickets are now on sale for the 42nd annual "An Evening with Champions" at Harvard University, Sept. 29 and 30, at the Bright Hockey Center in Allston, Mass. All event proceeds will benefit the Jimmy Fund, which supports adult and pediatric cancer care and research at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Every year, the show brings a stellar roster of past, present and future skating greats to the Boston area. This year's event will feature three-time U.S. champion Jeremy Abbott, 2006 world champion Kimmie Meissner, Shawn Sawyer, Agnes Zawadzki, incoming Harvard freshman Christina Gao, Douglas Razzano, Kim Navarro and Brent Bommentre, Melanie Lambert and Fred Palascak, the Haydenettes, Team Excel Collegiate, and Theater on Ice team Act I of Boston. Perennial crowd favorites 1964 and 1968 Olympic champions Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov will return once again. Additional cast members will be announced soon.
    Official site: http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Oh, so Christina Gao is indeed attending Harvard? Good for her!

Did she announce any coaching changes to someone based in the Boston area?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Yes, Christina Gao has switched to Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson at the Skating Club of Boston.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    There have been some additions to the cast since the original announcement: http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/cast.html

"Men: Ross Miner, 2012 Four Continents Bronze Medalist, 2011 & 2012 U.S. National Bronze Medalist

Ice Dancing: Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus, 2011 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 6th Place

Pairs: Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, 2009 World Junior Bronze Medalists & 2009 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 5th Place
    Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton, 2012 U.S. Junior Bronze Medalists

vCash
    Going with my mom on Saturday!

vCash
    Jason Brown has been added to the cast!

vCash
    Additional additions: Emily Hughes (skating and emceeing again) and Ryan Bradley.

vCash
    Looking forward to reports!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    This is wonderful, and I totally love the cast of skaters. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews. As I was checking out "An Evening With Champions" website, I noticed there were other ways to donate to the Jimmy Fund if we can't attend.

I just finished looking at the 2012 Holiday Greeting Cards, and they're beautiful!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    *starts Jason-to-Harvard rumours*

vCash

And glad to see Emily has been added. I was wondering where she was initially.

If any other FSUers are going Saturday night, let me know. We can try to say hi. I'll try to provide reports and pictures although I don't love watching from behind a camera lens so we'll see how it goes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    If any other FSUers are going Saturday night, let me know. We can try to say hi.
    I should be at both shows

vCash
    I am going on Sunday. I'm not going to the meet and greet this year though. Last year's was a $plurge.

vCash
    Just got tickets for Sunday, as well. Tickets are for section 3, but not sure we'll be sitting there in the end. Looking forward to the awesome pairs line-up and all the promising juniors.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    http://www.aneveningwithchampions.org/cast.html

Cast 2012 (last updated 9/13/12)
    Hosts:
    Paul Wylie, 1992 Olympic Silver Medalist
    Emily Hughes, 2006 Olympian

Ladies:
    Christina Gao, 2009-10 Junior Grand Prix Final Bronze Medalist, 2009 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalist
    Emily Hughes, 2007 U.S. National Silver Medalist, 2006 Olympian
    Kimmie Meissner, 2006 World Champion, 2007 U.S. National Champion, 2006 Olympian
    Agnes Zawadzki, 2012 U.S. National Bronze Medalist, 2010 World Junior Silver Medalist, 2011 World Junior Bronze Medalist

Men:
    Jeremy Abbott, Three-time U.S. National Champion, 2008 Grand Prix Final Champion, 2010 Olympian
    Jason Brown, 2012 World Junior Bronze Medalist, 2011 Junior Grand Prix Final Champion, 2010 U.S. National Junior Champion
    Harrison Choate, 2012 U.S. National Junior Pewter Medalist, 2011 Gardena Spring Trophy Champion
    Ross Miner, 2012 Four Continents Bronze Medalist, 2011 & 2012 U.S. National Bronze Medalist
    Douglas Razzano, 2011 Finlandia Trophy Silver Medalist, 2012 U.S. National Championships 5th Place

Ice Dancing:
    Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus, 2011 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 6th Place
    Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre, 2008 & 2009 U.S. National Bronze Medalists, 2008 Four Continents Bronze Medalists

Pairs:
    Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir, 2009 World Junior Bronze Medalists & 2009 U.S. National Junior Bronze Medalists, 2012 U.S. National Championships 5th Place
    Lindsay Davis & Mark Ladwig, 2010 U.S. Junior Bronze Medalist (Davis), 3-time U.S. National Medalist, 2010 Olympian (Ladwig)
    Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton, 2012 U.S. Junior Bronze Medalists
    Melanie Lambert & Fred Palascak, Professional Adagio Pair Team & U.S. National Medalists
    Ludmila & Oleg Protopopov, Two-time Olympic Champions, Four-time World Champions

Synchronized Skating Teams:
    The Haydenettes, 2010 & 2011 World Synchronized Skating Championships Bronze Medalists, 20-time U.S. National Champions
    Team Excel Collegiate, 2012 U.S. National Synchronized Skating Championships 5th Place

Theatre on Ice:
    Act I of Boston, 2012 U.S. National Silver Medalists, Three-time International Champions, Two-time International Silver Medalists

Please keep checking back for more updates on this year's cast!
    *Cast list subject to change without notice.

Re-posting the following from another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-your-favorite

Golden Skate has 2 tickets to Evening With Champions to give away, so we're holding a drawing.

The event is in Boston, either Sept. 29 or 30th.

If you're interested in entering, please visit the above thread & post a memory about one of the teams entered, and you'll be entered in the drawing.

Evening With Champions is a fundraiser for the Jimmy Fund (childhood cancer)

vCash
    I wonder why Shawn Sawyer pulled out of the latest lineup? Oh well... he seemed to perform well there last year.
    Last edited by oakl0008; 09-19-2012 at 01:11 AM.

vCash
    Looking forward to reading the reports. I would love to see Kimmie, Jeremy and of course, the Protopopovs skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oakl0008 View Post
    I wonder why Shawn Sawyer pulled out of the latest lineup? Oh well... he seemed to perform well there last year.
    Was he actually in this year's lineup at some point? Generally there are more skaters who don't appear in consecutive years, with the exception of the Protopopovs and skaters from the Boston area.

Back in the 80's, there were a lot more current reigning US medalists in this show, but that was before training for and competing in the Grand Prix took up so much of their fall schedule.

vCash
    This is one of the long-standing great benefit shows. It is probably difficult for them to get some of the US medalists because it coincides with some of the noteworthy Senior B events. This year same time as Nebelhorn. Finlandia is also the next week so perhaps some people do not want to be traveling so close to an event.

vCash
    Was he actually in this year's lineup at some point? Generally there are more skaters who don't appear in consecutive years, with the exception of the Protopopovs and skaters from the Boston area.

Back in the 80's, there were a lot more current reigning US medalists in this show, but that was before training for and competing in the Grand Prix took up so much of their fall schedule.
    Hi snoopysnake. On the very first post of this thread, an early icenetwork article was quoted on this year's show with Sawyer listed a performer. So I was a bit suprised since he was out of competition since mid 2011, therefore wouldn't have any events of that sort to attend, and it looked like he was well recieved last year (although who wasn't for attending a charity event of this kind) unless I am mistaken. I do understand though that the lineup can change at any moment for any reason. And this years lineup looks good.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast