Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Israeli federation objects to the new minimum TES scores

Israeli federation protests the new minimum TES scores. They say they are set too high and are unfair to the skaters from the smaller federations.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...S%20Scores.htm

vCash
    Bit late now, isn't it? Why weren't they kicking up a fuss about this when it was coming in?

I mean, I agree with them, but why wait a few months before getting cranky about it?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Boris Chait is a stupid twat. He was warned that getting rid of preliminaries would result in restricted entries and he still went ahead with his campaign. He's responsible for this mess.

He could also learn how to spell Cinquanta's name correctly.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Boris Chait is a stupid twat. He was warned that getting rid of preliminaries would result in restricted entries and he still went ahead with his campaign. He's responsible for this mess.

He could also learn how to spell Cinquanta's name correctly.
    So he dug his own grave and he's still complaining?

vCash
    Frankly, other than a mis-spelling, the letter seems quite reasonable and proper. Most on this board also thought the increases were excessive and arbitrary, precisely because it would so drastically reduce the numbers qualifying, thereby making it even more difficult for smaller federations to develop the sport and for figure skating in general to grow in popularity.
    Good for him for saying what so many here think - perhaps all the other similarly-affected federations should follow suit.

vCash
    I'm sure that Boris Chait is much more used to using the Hebrew and Cyrillic alphabets than the Latin one. He did spell "Cinquanta" properly in the body of the letter.

And as for the substance -- better late than never! The issue isn't going away.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I find this ironic considering that Israel has stringent qualifications for who can go to the Olympics and will keep good skaters who qualified a berth via ISU procedures at home... but maybe that's the Israeli Olympic committee, not the skating federation.

The letter isn't that unreasonable; they don't seem to disagree with the concept of a minimum score, they just feel that the increases in the score are too much. I don't see what the ISU can do about it now, though.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    He doesn't have a problem with restricted entries. He's asking that the minimum scores be set so that there are the same number of competitors in the SP/SD after preliminaries (30 for singles, 25 for Dance, and 20 for Pairs).
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I find this ironic considering that Israel has stringent qualifications for who can go to the Olympics and will keep good skaters who qualified a berth via ISU procedures at home... but maybe that's the Israeli Olympic committee, not the skating federation.
    Yes, that is the Israeli Olympic Committee, not the skating federation - and Chait was not pleased when they would not allow Katz to go to the Olys, so I see nothing inconsistent with his positions.

vCash
    Twat or not, I hope other federations follow.. If they were strong enough to get rid of QR they need to get together and force the lowering of the minimun scores.. Its not too late for some damage control.

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Twat or not, I hope other federations follow.. If they were strong enough to get rid of QR they need to get together and force the lowering of the minimun scores.. Its not too late for some damage control.
    Hmmm, allezfred summed up my feelings exactly.

You either have QR and lower the minimum scores, or you have no QR and raise the minimum scores. You can't have it both ways. Getting rid of the QR would have consequences, a fool could have seen this coming. And why should the host nation be responsible for the skaters hotel fees and stuff? Was that one of the reasons the smaller feds got rid of the QR in the first place? Tell the smaller feds to pay for all their skaters and lower the minimum scores or STFU and deal.....or just reinstate the QR, whichever is easier.

vCash
    I'm surprised we haven't heard from Israel sooner... were they even able to send a representative to Kuala Lumpur to participate in the ISU Congress? Kind of unfair if they didn't get to participate because the meeting was held in a country that prohibits entry of Israelis...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliona22 View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't heard from Israel sooner... were they even able to send a representative to Kuala Lumpur to participate in the ISU Congress? Kind of unfair if they didn't get to participate because the meeting was held in a country that prohibits entry of Israelis...
    Wow. I didn't even know that. I mean I know there are some countries that prohibit the entry of Israelis, but I didn't know Malaysia was one of them. If that's the case, then that's really unfair and the ISU should have their butts kicked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    Frankly, other than a mis-spelling, the letter seems quite reasonable and proper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I'm sure that Boris Chait is much more used to using the Hebrew and Cyrillic alphabets than the Latin one. He did spell "Cinquanta" properly in the body of the letter.
    Do you think he wrote that himself? I'm not sure, to be honest, though telling Cinquanta to stop messing with the smaller federations suggests that he came up with the spirit of it. Anyway, Chait lives in the US, his English is probably better than his Hebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post

The letter isn't that unreasonable; they don't seem to disagree with the concept of a minimum score, they just feel that the increases in the score are too much. I don't see what the ISU can do about it now, though.
    That's how it came across to me, too - that minimums are fine, but they are currently set too high, something many here have also argued. Isn't there a loophole in place that allows the ISU to change this in-season? I thought that was part of the decision that was passed. But in that case, lobbying in private should be much more effective than trying to embarrass Speedy.

Re qualifications for Israeli athletes, as 2sk8 noted, those are NOC crtieria, not something thought up by the national federations - they would probably love to send anyone qualifying to the Olympics. I've seen suggestions that Israel's relatively poor performance at the London Olympics may have been due in part with athletes chasing the (rather stringent) qualification standards set for them instead of properly training up to the Olympics. But sometimes you have to look at it as a learning experience for the next Olympics and to develop the sport.

Although it must be said, skating in Israel faces bigger problems than the current minimum scores.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Do you think he wrote that himself? I'm not sure, to be honest, though telling Cinquanta to stop messing with the smaller federations suggests that he came up with the spirit of it. Anyway, Chait lives in the US, his English is probably better than his Hebrew.
    Zemgirl, the problem isn't with his English, it's with his Italian.

It's not that easy to sort out spelling rules in the third alphabet you've had to learn, especially when it comes to a word in a language you don't know.

Let's cut the guy some slack.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 08-15-2012 at 06:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Zemgirl, the problem isn't with his English, it's with his Italian.

It's not that easy to sort out spelling rules in the third alphabet you've had to learn, especially when it comes to a word in a language you don't know
    Yes, I meant that having lived in the US for thirty years or more, he's probably more used to communicating in English and using a Latin alphabet. I'm all for cutting people some slack, but someone should certainly have double-checked to make sure the name was spelled correctly.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    All that is very fine, but I'm a bit surprised that out of them all, Israel is the one to complaint: after all, it's not like we have figure skating anymore, thanks to Boris Chait. So why would he bother?
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    Oi, papaBoria realized the American and Ukranian skaters who he bought to represent Israel are THAT useless? About time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Oi, papaBoria realized the American and Ukranian skaters who he bought to represent Israel are THAT useless? About time.
    But then wouldn't the solution have been to import skaters from other countries?
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 08-15-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliona22 View Post
    Boris Chait was in Kuala Lumpur.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast