Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    ^^ Just hand your brother in law a copy of the article.
    If it isn't about the NFL, he could care less. Funny thing though, he's an emigre from Italy and I've noticed that the European Countries tend to pay more attention to their Amateur Teams. So you'd *think* he'd also care more about Canada's Team considering the sporting culture.

But nope!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    It is ridiculous to say Canada did better than Hungary who won 1 less medal but 8 golds, but also ridiculous to say we didnt do better than a country who won 2 golds but only 2-4 medals.
    Depends on how you spin it. In 2010 Canada topped the gold medal count but not that total medal count, and that was considered satisfactory for 'owning the podium'.

All that said, Canada is not a summer sports powerhouse and will have to really up its investment in summer sports if it wants more medals.

And there were some freak events as well. The runners being disqualified after finishing third. The cross-country bike athlete who was a favourite for gold finishing off the podium. And the soccer team perhaps being denied a chance at silver or bronze. From what I gather the calls in the Canada-US game were indeed very odd.

Then to balance than out, of course, were the surprises, such as the marathon swimmer's bronze and the trampolinist's gold

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    And the soccer team perhaps being denied a chance at silver or bronze.
    Err Canada won bronze.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Depends on how you spin it. In 2010 Canada topped the gold medal count but not that total medal count, and that was considered satisfactory for 'owning the podium'.
    For Canada to be 1st overall in 2014, there will need to be tangible gains in alpine skiing (still depending on veterans like Erik Guay and Jan Hudec, but making some inroads with Ben Thomsen and Marie-Michele Gagnon) and cross-country skiing (Alex Harvey and Devon Kershaw)

The cross-country bike athlete who was a favourite for gold finishing off the podium.
    Interestingly, Catharine Pendrel had been heavily featured in the pre-Olympic marketing from the Canadian Olympic Committee, as she had been one of the few athletes who was holding a World Championship in the pre-Olympic year.
    Catharine actually was considered to be short-listed for being flag bearer in the opening ceremonies as well.

Then to balance than out, of course, were the surprises, such as the marathon swimmer's bronze and the trampolinist's gold
    Rosie Maclennan was already ranked top 4 heading into the Olympics, so while the gold was indeed a surprise, she was actually one of the safer bets for a medal.

With Richard Weinberger, he is probably still far from reaching his peak as a 10 km swimmer (where you can be competitive right through to your 30s). Expect to hear a lot from him in the years ahead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    With Richard Weinberger, he is probably still far from reaching his peak as a 10 km swimmer (where you can be competitive right through to your 30s). Expect to hear a lot from him in the years ahead.
    Agreed, he has a bright future. The thought of swimming 10k just makes me feel absolutely exhausted.

Here is a nice story.

Newfoundland boy garners national attention for sending letter, medal to men’s relay team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post

Maybe Canadians are constantly benchmarking themselves vs. their American counterparts, thus feel like they "deserve" more summer Olympic medals?
    Well those people need to stop and have a reality check because we will never compete in the summer Olympics with China or the U.S. so get over it and be grateful we live in a fabulous country and have wonderful athletes who try their best. What more do they want from someone?

Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    I always think whenever we (Canadians) win an unexpected medal, that another country's athlete (probably the reigning world champion) is devastated. And when our own Canadian world champion falters and doesn't win an expected medal, then another country gets an unexpected win. I figure everything balances out.
    I'm proud of what our athletes achieved, and feel bad for any athletes who were disappointed in their own performance.
    You know I've always held this thought as well. Sometimes I think we get so wrapped up in our own country and athletes that we think we are the only ones who ever have disappointment. We need to look outside and see that that is just what sport is and that is what the Olympics is and why so many people love it.

I feel like it's a portrait of life all rolled into 2 weeks. The highs and lows, the ups and downs, the tears, the joy, the devastation, pain, agony, controversy, surprise, drama you catch my drift I'm sure. But that's why I love it, it's humanity. That's the way I see it anyway and we are not the only country to ever have disappointment GB was DQ'ed in the 4X100 long before we were how do you think they felt? Get over yourselves people and just enjoy and be grateful we are in the position we are. It could be a whole lot worse.

vCash
    Oh I read that this a.m. So precious. Brought a tear to my eye.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    Well those people need to stop and have a reality check because we will never compete in the summer Olympics with China or the U.S. so get over it and be grateful we live in a fabulous country and have wonderful athletes who try their best. What more do they want from someone?
    Canada tends to have an inferiority complex, particularly in regard to the United States.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    If it isn't about the NFL, he could care less.
    Then I wouldn't even listen whatever it is he has to say about the Olympics. Why try to argue with someone who obviously doesn't care about being informed or thoughtful?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Honestly hearing some of the comments of people lately, especialy some of the nasty messages in articles like the one posted I wonder what people were expecting. Did some Canadians actually think this would be a repeat of Vancouver and we would win the gold medal count, being it is the Summer Olympics, with something like 50 golds. Our overall performance was about on par with what any realistic person would have expected. I would have said 1-2 golds and 15-18 medals and we got 1 gold and 18 medals.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Err Canada won bronze.
    You are a good Canadian.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I often wonder why there is even a medal count by country, seeing as most countries don't subsidize the athletes in any way, so wins are usually the product of individual effort, not the product of a state-run program. My Canadian husband was feeling depressed by Canada's medal count vs the US, & I reminded him that while the US doesn't support its athletes either, we have millions of more people to draw from for sport. Proportionally there are also a lot more millionaires available who give money to sports programs. How does it glorify the US that it produced Michael Phelphs when the government gave not one penny towards his upkeep or his training?

I hate the daily updates on who is ahead. If you have to even mention it, why not wait till all competition is over & then announce the standings. As an American whose country is usually at the top of the leaderboard, I have never cared about being 1st overall.

OTOH, when the athletes wear US gear I expect them to represent our country well. That may be a double standard but I don't care.
    Last edited by taf2002; 08-16-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Then I wouldn't even listen whatever it is he has to say about the Olympics. Why try to argue with someone who obviously doesn't care about being informed or thoughtful?
    The problem is, he'll keep at me and at me and at me until he gets a reaction. I've tried ignoring him in the past, but considering he always turns it into something personal, I've had enough!!

As I've warned Mom (Dad's just as fed up w/him as I am, so he's pretty much looking forward to this, as it's been a looooong time coming), enough is enough and I'm not putting up w/the way he treats me anymore. And it's not just over this either. It's pretty much everything and anything I have an interest or passion in and I am more than past my tolerance point.

vCash
    I think I found it more disappointing than most due to being in London and seeming to see defeat after defeat. We really began to feel like the David Camerons of Canada, bringing with us an Olympic jinx. Now, we didn't really expect to do well in show jumping (I'm still mourning Hickstead), but having a horse DQd again??? Trampoline, we have the world record holder... whoops, falls out of the second element. Fine, diving, we have great divers, should do okay there... okay, maybe not our night. Okay, fine, let's go watch some handball, and watch triathlon on the big screen, and over shoulders. Okay, Simon is out of the water, let's go into our event... okay, where is he? What, he had an accident? Seriously? Off to synchro we go, and Canada finishes... fourth.

Suddenly, it flashes on the screen, Canada is third in relay! Woohoo! Excitement from our crowd! Wait, why is this taking so long? DQd? No. Noooo. I have a lovely picture of him stepping over the line, didn't know that I'd taken it until the next day.

Personally, there were so many disappointments in that the events we went to had strange things happening. We were sitting there cheering for the athletes to do their best so that they could feel proud, only to have people slip, step, or have something else happen. It felt jinxed.

So, for quite a few medal chances, I'm to blame. Sorry, Canada. I even warned the parents of one of the synchro swimmers... they didn't quite believe me, until after I'm sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12