Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Canada's bronze Olympics

This is good article that addresses the criticisms and ugly comments posted on Twitter and comment boards about the Canadians winning only one gold and 12 bronze medals. I read through the some comment boards and some of the posts were very, very ugly.

There’s no shame in celebrating bronze

vCash
    What a fantastic article.... gives some good perspective.

vCash
    Excellent article - thanks for posting.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Unfortunately some of the same asshats the article is responding to seem to have found the comments section
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I saw one tattoo that an athlete got of the Olympic rings and under it-it said "I may have been last but at least I was there"

Who cares what color the medal was they should be proud no matter what.

vCash
    I am very proud of how Canada did. We should be proud of our Olympians and congratulate them on their success.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Unfortunately some of the same asshats the article is responding to seem to have found the comments section
    I noticed that as well. Too bad that the Globe doesn't suspend comments for this article like they do for murder trials.

Some of the worst posts came on Saturday after the men's relay. A lot of comments along the line of "Who cares? It was just another bronze." If there was not a DQ, a bronze would have been a HUGE accomplishment for those young Canadian sprinters.

Their coach, Glenroy Gilbert, said before the DQ, Americans and Jamaicans offered congratulations on his team's race and said, "Canada is back". Americans and Jamaicans were more excited about Canada's bronze than a lot of Canadians.
    Last edited by algonquin; 08-14-2012 at 12:17 AM.

vCash
    It seems many Canadians were delusional in their expectations. Some even though it was going to be a Vancouver repeat, LOL! I love Canadians to do as well at the Games as everyone but realistically we were always going to get something from 0-2 golds this time around. I think Sports Illustrated had us winning 2 and Associated Press 1. We werent the heavy favorite for gold in any event, arguably the slight favorite in 1 or more things depending who you talk to, but probably not the odds on (better than 50%, so more than the rest of the field combined) favorite in any, and there were only 3 or 4 things we had a realistic chance of winning. I figured 15 or 16 medals were our most likely range, so 18 is good. Looking across all the sports this is one Olympics I thought was always most likely to be a bronze Olympics.

We just need to find ways to go into the Summer Games with more stronger contenders than currently. Based on how things were going in we did reasonably well, and those who think otherwise were expecting too much.

I agree there is nothing wrong with celebrating bronze. Anyone who has ever participated in sport, including many of the anger posters who I can pretty much guarantee could all only dream of an Olympic medal.

vCash
    As for how they rank it should not be done by either just golds or just total medals. It should be done by a points system that goes like this:

Gold- 5 points
    Silver- 3 points
    Bronze- 2 points

That is by far the fairest and most realistic way to do it. Winning golds vs winning other medals is a big difference, but winning medals vs not also is, and even winning a top 2 medal vs a bronze is. It is ridiculous to say Canada did better than Hungary who won 1 less medal but 8 golds, but also ridiculous to say we didnt do better than a country who won 2 golds but only 2-4 medals.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I can assure you that I'd be very proud and happy to be the third best in the world at something. People often quote the survey that says bronze medalists tend to be happier than silver medalists who focus on "just missing the gold" whereas bronze medalists are happy to have made the podium.

Frankly anyone who makes the Olympics is at a level far above most people and should be proud of their accomplishments.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    If you have out-performed someone and wish to offer a critique, you have a leg to stand on. Any other criticisms are basically verbal diarrhea.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Would it have been nice to get more gold medals? Of course, but you have to remember these are athletes that won OLYMPIC MEDALS for crying out loud. These athletes went out there and gave absolutely everything they could in order to acheieve success for our country. Canada exceeded my expectations in terms of total medals won. I figured about 15, so to come through with 18 and match our total number in Beijing was more than I hoped for. While some of our favorites (Pendrel, Spencer, etc.) didn't happen to come through there were a great many surprises like Christine Girard, Antoine Valois-Fortier, Derek Drouin and the Women's soccer team that won medals when they weren't expected to. There was a historic medal in the marathon swim that Canada won as well, so it really wasn't as bad as most people think it was. I'd sure as hell rather have a whole load of bronze medals than nothing at all!

Anyone who speaks ill or out against our athletes should be ashamed of themselves. They went out there to represent Canada as best as they could and should be admired for it, not admonished. They did what they could and achieved a pretty good result.

I'm happy with how Canada did.
    Kyle

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I *know* the next time I see my Brother in Law, this crap is what I'm going to be handed by him. I've already warned Mom that I'm not going to be putting up w/it from him or anyone else who comes into this house w/the intention of "teasing me" or being serious about "our poor performance".

Considering how many Sponsors have not renewed their agreements now that Vancouver's over and done w/, I was expecting far worse from London. I am thrilled by how well we did and an Olympic Medal is nothing to sneeze at. Regardless of the Medal.

The fact I've already been going through what I'll say to any of these idiots "criticism" of the Team is a sad reflection of how low interest in our Olympic Athletes the years inbetween Olympics truly is. Part of it goes like this...

"You really want more Gold Medals? Okay then, you get out your checkbook while I go online to find out the COC's mailing address."

I have a feeling that just might stop a lot of it right there. Sadly, many of them just won't get it either.

Thanks for that article, as it's wonderful and truly puts it all in perspective.

vCash
    ^^ Just hand your brother in law a copy of the article.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    The fact I've already been going through what I'll say to any of these idiots "criticism" of the Team is a sad reflection of how low interest in our Olympic Athletes the years inbetween Olympics truly is. Part of it goes like this...

"You really want more Gold Medals? Okay then, you get out your checkbook while I go online to find out the COC's mailing address."

I have a feeling that just might stop a lot of it right there. Sadly, many of them just won't get it either.

Thanks for that article, as it's wonderful and truly puts it all in perspective.
    Particularly in terms of summer Olympic sports, the Canadian television coverage of the World Cup/Grand Prix seasons as well as the world championships is practically non-existent. Even the FINA Aquatics and IAAF Athletics world championships (every odd year) are now only shown as "highlight packages" - that's just not acceptable. European and Australian television show these championships in full, as does the NBC Sports Network in the USA.

How can Canada develop a summer Olympic sports culture (like let's say, Australia or even the United States with their NCAA feeder system) when the newspapers + television don't have the interest themselves to put these events on their pages and screens? By the time the Olympics roll around, the Canadian reporters/commentators are so obviously inept at covering these sports, and it shows - media cannot hide behind the fact that they weren't paying attention and the years in between Olympics.

Considering there was the fear before the Olympic games started that Canada wouldn't even match 18 medals, I think Canada acquitted itself very well, especially considering all the countries that placed just ahead (Netherlands, Ukraine) and just behind (Brazil, Hungary, Spain) spend proportionally more towards summer Olympic programs.

One could even make the argument that Canada somewhat overachieves at the Summer Olympics compared to other countries taking proportional funding into account.
    Last edited by Seerek; 08-14-2012 at 10:15 PM.

vCash
    Suddenly all these couch potatoes are experts in diving and track and field when they don't pay an ounce of attention for the 4 years in between and couldn't name an athelete, let alone a medalist from the games if you asked them today. Canada did fine and all these idiots whining and complaining need to shut it because I've had it up to here. When your biggest accomplishment in life is finding a quarter in between the couch cushions you probably shouldn't be criticizing anyone.

vCash
    I always think whenever we (Canadians) win an unexpected medal, that another country's athlete (probably the reigning world champion) is devastated. And when our own Canadian world champion falters and doesn't win an expected medal, then another country gets an unexpected win. I figure everything balances out.
    I'm proud of what our athletes achieved, and feel bad for any athletes who were disappointed in their own performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    By the time the Olympics roll around, the Canadian reporters/commentators are so obviously inept at covering these sports, and it shows - media cannot hide behind the fact that they weren't paying attention and the years in between Olympics.
    Another reason why Randy Starkman will be missed so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    ...I think Canada acquitted itself very well, especially considering all the countries that placed just ahead (Netherlands, Ukraine) and just behind (Brazil, Hungary, Spain) spend proportionally more towards summer Olympic programs.

One could even make the argument that Canada somewhat overachieves at the Summer Olympics compared to other countries taking proportional funding into account.
    I did not know that, thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Another reason why Randy Starkman will be missed so much.
    The disappointing reality is that even Randy's fellow Toronto Star sports journalists have been quite noteworthy in their ignorance/disdain for Olympic sports (both summer and winter), so much as to flat out state that viewpoint in print.

Maybe Canadians are constantly benchmarking themselves vs. their American counterparts, thus feel like they "deserve" more summer Olympic medals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    I always think whenever we (Canadians) win an unexpected medal, that another country's athlete (probably the reigning world champion) is devastated. And when our own Canadian world champion falters and doesn't win an expected medal, then another country gets an unexpected win. I figure everything balances out.
    I'm proud of what our athletes achieved, and feel bad for any athletes who were disappointed in their own performance.
    That's an utterly beautiful point of view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast