Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I always thought the organisation would be great, but I expected the British public to be so cynical they'd fail to get behind the event. I'm glad I was wrong!

It must be said that the weather helped an awful lot. Had we had the non-stop gray sky and thick rain we experienced in July, things wouldn't have gone half so well.

Britain has had such a festive year - between the Royal Events, Murray reaching Wimbledon final, and Wiggins winning the Tour, I think even the deepest cynics had been dragged out of their whinge corner in time for the Games.

vCash
    I'm not sure where to post this, but there was a big parade in Bogota to honor the Colombian Olympic medalists, as well as the Olympians who received an Olympic certificate. Then they went to El Palacio de Narino to meet the President.

All the medalists + certificate winners were awarded full scholarships to the Military University (which is a very good school, a friend of mine went there) for the career/certificate program of their choice. Additionally, all the medalists were given a housing subsidy so they can buy their own homes as well as a brand new car.

I think it's great because during the Olympics there were many stories about how all these athletes really struggled to make ends meet and how little support they were receiving. Hopefully, it's a way they and others can help with some costs and keep on pursuing their sport...

Here's some pics of the event:

http://www.semana.com/foto-deportes/...picos/914.aspx

vCash
    What does it take to receive an Olympic certificate?

Nice that they're getting support now.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    What does it take to receive an Olympic certificate?
    Everyone who finishes in the Top 8 of their event gets a diploma.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Hmm hmmm didn't London get massively indebted to pay for the Games?

vCash
    In news that will surprise absolutely nobody, the artists featured in the opening and closing ceremonies benefited from a huge boost in sales.

Emeli Sande climbed up back to number one where she's remaining for the second consecutive week now and is soon to overtake Adele's "21" to become the best-selling album this year so far in the UK.

Her "Read All About It, Pt. 3" shot up to number 3 (despite no video and 'proper promotion' other than then the Olympic performances) and has stayed in top 5 for three weeks now.

Elbow has seen a huge boost in sales as well with their latest album and "One Day Like This" which they performed in the closing ceremony both returning to top 10 last week and conveniently they are releasing a b-sides collection now.

"Running Up That Hill" was at number 6 in the UK's singles chart last week which is very amusing, considering it's been released 27 years ago.

vCash
    Great project documenting the post-olympic legacy of various olympic cities.

http://www.olympiccityproject.com/

vCash
    Diving woman commentator=Cynthia Potter.

If she commented on figure skating we'd hear informed commentary about technical and artistic parts of each program, without a shred of bias.

A skatefan can dream, right?

vCash
    Victory Parade for Team GB about to start - both olympics and paralympic athletes involved 21 open top floats with over 800 athletes - huge crowds on a week day - I suspect many parents called in sick both at work and for their kids to see this

ETA: It looks utterly amazing - the crowds are HUGE
    Last edited by Lorac; 09-10-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    What's with all this Pet Shop Boys love?

Been a lovely spectacle though!
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Stood in Trafalgar Sqaure for 9 hours today, but it was totally worth it to be at the front when the parade came through!

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Awesome morget!

Oh Victoria Pendleton is on the One Show - For once she isn't whinging and is coming across quite nice instead of a drama queen.

Oh and yeah, she's going to be on Strictly....
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Victory Parade for Team GB about to start - both olympics and paralympic athletes involved 21 open top floats with over 800 athletes - huge crowds on a week day - I suspect many parents called in sick both at work and for their kids to see this

ETA: It looks utterly amazing - the crowds are HUGE
    That's wonderful!

vCash
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ach-nei...7631659558714/

To launch the redevelopment of the Olympic Park, a lego model of what it will look like when it re-opens is being built in the Westfield centre by the park - they called it "London Lego-acy" Anyone can help to build it. It looks awesome, although I was surprised to see how much smaller the aquatics centre will be once the "wings" are taken off.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Madison finished 3rd and Jones 2nd in today's World Cup Bobsleigh event in Lake Placid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12