vCash

Granny Vinson Owen

Say,how much do we know on her? As the Book "Frozen in Time" only refers to her as "Granny." But did history leave us with any known name for her? Do we know if she was a Skater herself,etc.?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Do you mean Maribel Vinson Owen's mother?

If so, Wikipedia lists Maribel Vinson's parents' names here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maribel_Vinson

"Maribel Vinson was the daughter of Thomas and Gertrude Vinson of Winchester, Massachusetts. Both of her parents were figure skaters and Maribel was made an honorary member of the Cambridge Skating club at birth."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Vacant
    vCash
    You can see Granny Vinson skating in this clip of the family at the 1960 Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...QCq_JY4#t=326s

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks, floskate! I just found that video when I Googled just now. FSWer, hopefully you can find a way to watch this video on a computer that can play youtube videos!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks for sharing that clip, floskate. Very poignant and historical. Some of the posters' comments were apt too. Fortunately today I don't think a whole team would likely be wiped out like that unless indeed they were all on the same plane together. Although of course many skaters touring in shows travel together on the same bus. It would indeed be devastating to lose anyone within the skating community (e.g., Angela Nikidinov's mother; and Sergei Grinkov's tragic death), much less an entire busload of skaters from different countries or an entire planeload carrying national team and family members. But the last scenario is much less likely to happen today.

It is remarkable and evident of her admirable character that Mrs. Vinson continued to support Boston area skaters while living with the overwhelming grief of losing daughter and granddaughters in such a tragic way.

It reminds me sadly of the executive who lost not only her parents, but her three young daughters (by her former husband) in a tragic house fire one Christmas eve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks, floskate! I just found that video when I Googled just now. FSWer, hopefully you can find a way to watch this video on a computer that can play youtube videos!
    LOL,unfortunely I can't access UTUBE on here. LOL,in response to aftershocks...can somebody please explain a little bit about how separating even fully helps? As that would be like putting half a Football Team on 1 Plane and the other half on another plane. OR...1 Team for a Game on 1 plane,and the other on the other plane. In which case if one plane crashes in either case...guess what?....You can't play the Game,right?

vCash
    Two reasons.

1) Unlike football teams, a figure skating "team" sent to a championships consists of several individuals or couples who compete separately each in their own events. So theoretically if one plane didn't make it to the destination, skaters who traveled on another plane could still compete.

It might make more sense to use a word like "delegation" rather than "team" to refer to the whole group of athletes and officials that the federation sends to the competition.

2) More importantly, if a plane carrying part of a country's delegation went down and killed everyone on board, the competition might still be canceled out of respect for the dead, but the other half of that country's delegation would still be ALIVE.