vCash

qualifying for nationals when you are a comeback skater

I apologize if this was already explained, but are Johnny and Evan being given automatic byes to nationals based on Evan being reining olympic champ and Johnny skating in the grand prix?

vCash
    Yes I think Evan is able to get a bye to nationals till after the next Olympics based on the fact that he won/podium finish (same as Sasha Cohen did) and I believe johnny will only get a bye if he makes the GPF.

Correct me if I am wrong.

vCash
    Weir's 2 GP assignments currently give him a bye through Eastern Sectionals in November (Rostelecom Cup is the same week) but not North Atlantic Regionals (Oct. 5-9 in Hackensack, NJ).

ETA: He will not have to compete at Regionals if there are 4 or fewer Senior men registered for North Atlantics or if he is assigned to a Senior B such as Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-7).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-12-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    so once the selections for Finlandia Trophy come out, we will have a better idea if Johnny has his bye or not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I apologize if this was already explained, but are Johnny and Evan being given automatic byes to nationals based on Evan being reining olympic champ and Johnny skating in the grand prix?
    *Qualifying for US Nationals when you are a comeback skater.

vCash
    I would love to see Johnny compete at Regionals

vCash
    Yes, it would be good practice for him, especially as it is in his home rink.

vCash
    I wonder how badly he'd have to do to not qualify

vCash
    Quite badly, I'd guess - and he'll do much better than that, I think - so not sure what you're getting at.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Olympic medalists receive an automatic bye. What I'm not clear on is if this is a bye for every nationals in that quadrennial, or just once?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    so once the selections for Finlandia Trophy come out, we will have a better idea if Johnny has his bye or not?
    If Weir gets Finlandia he should get the Regionals bye; however, if he doesn't, it will come down to how many Senior men register for North Atlantic Regionals by the Sept. 1st deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Olympic medalists receive an automatic bye. What I'm not clear on is if this is a bye for every nationals in that quadrennial, or just once?
    Every nationals in that quadrennial.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden