Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I was just pointing it out because us Americans take so much heat when we win. We are not the only ones who gloat. And for those select few here who always point out that the US does not win the medals count because of the lack of gold ----USA! USA!
    It was a celebration of joy and happiness in typical OTT hot-blooded, Latin American style.

Something completely and utterly different from the aggressive and condescending 'USA! USA!' behaviour that that other thread was about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    love the phrase "fallen pregnant"
    It calls to mind someone jogging along, they trip and fall, then get pregnant by the earth or something.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I was just pointing it out because us Americans take so much heat when we win. We are not the only ones who gloat. And for those select few here who always point out that the US does not win the medals count because of the lack of gold ----USA! USA!
    Any one who gloats rather than celebrates is out of line IMO. That said, I don't think what the Brazilians did was gloating. They defended their Beijing gold - I can't think of any team who would not have celebrated that. Could they have toned it down for a moment while others were getting their medals? Of course, but that doesn't mean they were "ugly Brazilians".

OTOH, when a US team or fans chant USA USA or stick their index fingers up, that can get offensive. It's all the way you do it. As for the medal count, who cares? I sure don't...I wasn't competing in London so the medal count doesn't glorify me one way or the other.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    You making it sound like the brazilians were like
    "Ha ha, I win, you lose, ha ha, you suck, ha ha, look at us, we are so much better than you are that we are going to tumble down the court just for it"
    when it was not the case.

It was not gloating. It was rude, loud brazilians being happy. They had a rough road towards their win and were happy. If it offended anyone, sorry, it was most definetively not the case.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Don't worry beepbeep. Jayar just has to throw his toys out of the pram every once and a while.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    yeah but you seem to feel that way a lot
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    They were completely classless in their display when winning volleyball.
    so this one incident is enough to establish a pattern of behaviour and characterize Brazilians as 'ugly'?

and the best way to point this out is by denigrating another group of people? And I don't know how valid this comparison is due to economic differences as well as differences in power and privilege (which are related to the former) between the USA and Brasil, between Global North and Global South (and this is an oversimplification as power and privilege vary within those countries).
    Are your issues with the way in which the women's volleyball team from Brazil celebrated a good reason to start a thread like this?

Also, while I don't think it was intended to be offensive, I think the term "hot-blooded" when used in reference to an ethnic/ethno-cultural group is offensive. In the case of Latin people, it is a colonial stereotype that was used as justification for slavery and colonial practices (the idea that Latin people were animalistic, out of control, etc. and needed to be controlled).
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 08-13-2012 at 04:03 AM.

vCash
    This is ridiculous. It's either acceptable to publicly celebrate a win, or it's not. It's the behavior that should be in question, not the individual. You don't get to say, so-and-so is poor, so they get a pass, but so-and-so is rich, so they don't.

And who gets to say what the line is between gloating and celebrating? You win, you get to gloatabrate. For most sports, the Olympics is the biggest stage there is. You win in front of potentially one billion people, hold it together in team events that last the entirety of the Olys, and perform the absolute best, you get to act like you're better than everyone else, because for one moment, you actually are.

It's completely hypocritical to have different standards of behavior for the same thing.

And as for US fans, well, sorry people from other countries aren't as supportive of their athletes, but that's not our problem. There's nothing stopping other countries form screaming for their own athletes. I definitely heard the Russians screaming in artistic and rhythm gymnastics, and the Brits in diving, and why not? The Irish drowned out EVERYONE in their cheers. I'm tired of the US being singled out when other countries do the same thing.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    OTOH, when a US team or fans chant USA USA or stick their index fingers up, that can get offensive. It's all the way you do it. As for the medal count, who cares? I sure don't...I wasn't competing in London so the medal count doesn't glorify me one way or the other.
    So it's not OK when USA athletes and/or fans do that, but when cheers of "Team GB! Team GB!" or "Ross-ee-yah! Ross-ee-yah!" ring out, it's completely acceptable? Just wondering, because there seems to be a pretty obvious double standard here.

I don't mind chants from fans or athletes of any country, and I'm not sure why it bothers some people so much. It's the Olympics. It's the biggest sports stage in the world. Let them celebrate or chant their country's name and don't let it get to you (not necessarily you, but people in general) so much.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    There will always be a double standard when it comes to the USA because we are always at or near the top of the medal standings. People get tired of us winning after 2+ weeks
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    So it's not OK when USA athletes and/or fans do that, but when cheers of "Team GB! Team GB!" or "Ross-ee-yah! Ross-ee-yah!" ring out, it's completely acceptable? Just wondering, because there seems to be a pretty obvious double standard here.
    That. American fans are an obnoxious bunch, but so are most others. I don't get why they are singled out for it that much. I guess, that's why I often end up
    rooting against the home team at most comps, all this nationalistic screaming and yelling tends to get on my nerves quite quickly. I AM an unhappy watcher though, since home teams have the nasty habit of always overperforming.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    The Irish drowned out EVERYONE in their cheers.
    We'd scooped up all the tickets for the women's boxing finals so there was nobody else from any other country. Besides we are just as loud when we are losing as when we are winning (cf Euro 2012 being hammered by Spain). We're used to the losing bit so we have had lots of practice.

We did cheer for the other bouts as well even there were no other fighters from Ireland involved. Having been to the Olympics this time I can say that the crowds were far less partisan than what I remember from previous Olympics. Yes, they cheered for the British, but they really did appreciate all the great performances. And there was a lot less chanting of the country's name in individual sports which I absolutely detest regardless of which country's supporters are doing it.

Although I believe the original poster was complaining about how a group of athletes celebrated and not their supporters. As far as athlete celebrations go they can do what they like as far as I'm concerned.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    This is ridiculous. It's either acceptable to publicly celebrate a win, or it's not. It's the behavior that should be in question, not the individual. You don't get to say, so-and-so is poor, so they get a pass, but so-and-so is rich, so they don't.

And who gets to say what the line is between gloating and celebrating? You win, you get to gloatabrate. For most sports, the Olympics is the biggest stage there is. You win in front of potentially one billion people, hold it together in team events that last the entirety of the Olys, and perform the absolute best, you get to act like you're better than everyone else, because for one moment, you actually are.

It's completely hypocritical to have different standards of behavior for the same thing.

And as for US fans, well, sorry people from other countries aren't as supportive of their athletes, but that's not our problem. There's nothing stopping other countries form screaming for their own athletes. I definitely heard the Russians screaming in artistic and rhythm gymnastics, and the Brits in diving, and why not? The Irish drowned out EVERYONE in their cheers. I'm tired of the US being singled out when other countries do the same thing.
    Why are you discussing supporters? I think everyone would agree that the spectator support from all countries has been magnificent. Of course spectators are going to make noise for their own competitors, that's why they are called "supporters".

To be fair, I didn't really notice any obnoxious/ungraceful/unsporting celebrations by the athletes.Haven't really noticed a heap, and they certainly aren't country specific IMO.

My favourite obnoxious yelp came mid competition from Jamie Nieto of the USA in the men's High jump, "YEAH, USA BABY, All day every day BABY, Holla at ya boy...HOLLA"... Eh, you're in 4th, keep jumping and shut the fck up, there's another guy waiting to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    We'd scooped up all the tickets for the women's boxing finals so there was nobody else from any other country. ed by Spain). We're used to the losing bit so we have had lots of practice.
    And with that in mind, how epic were we for the Brit Girl, Nicola whatsherface...??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post

and the best way to point this out is by denigrating another group of people?
    This

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    This
    It kind of proves the point doesn't it?

vCash
    It kind of proves the point doesn't it?

Sour grapes, I think. USA rocks and everyone else sucks. Except anyone who looks good in lycra.

The point that I was making is-- Americans take a lot of heat for celebrating when we win. If any American spoke as eloquently as Usain Bolt did about himself, they would be verbally slapped (for good reason). I don't want to split hairs about this-- none of us know how we would react should we win the Olympics because, well, very few of us, if any, are Olympians. So we don't know what it is like to win... or lose. I think that most of the athletes get completely overwhelmed by the moment and lose their minds for a bit. Does that make them ugly? I think not, but I certainly think that some of the athletes handle victory and defeat better than others. Personally, I think Michael Phelps spewing water from his mouth repeatedly was uncalled for, but then I thought about how he was likely tasting Ryan Lochte's urine, so it made me giggle a bit.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Don't worry beepbeep. Jayar just has to throw his toys out of the pram every once and a while.
    I only do that because there isn't enough room for me, you, and all of the toys, Fred. Somethings gotta go, and I wouldn't want to be rude to throw you out of your pram while I am visiting.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Stop fighting it Jayar. Embrace the ugly and come celebrate that greatness has been found with the rest of us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Stop fighting it Jayar. Embrace the ugly and come celebrate that greatness has been found with the rest of us.
    But I am too cute to be an ugly American.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast