Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    The Brazilians like people who won the gold medal. The Americans behaved like people who lost the gold medal. Didn't see anything wrong with either side, especially the Brazilians. I like it when people celebrate their medals.

Destinee Hooker cannot help her name. I think her being a big girl would have made it worse, especially in middle school. As a former middle school teacher, the first time I heard her name, I could hear the taunts in my head.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I expect she doesn't get many taunts any more. She's gorgeous and can shove that ball in your face. I think she does just fine and she likes her name. So do I.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Meh they sound like the ugly American soccer team.
    From the article, it sounds like most of the women agreed with the coach's view:

“Hey listen, it’s their journey. If that’s the way they choose to [celebrate], I’ve got no issue with that. Let’em run around, do whatever they want to do. It’s not an issue for us,” said McCutcheon, who coached the U.S. men’s volleyball team to gold in 2008.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Beach Bum
    vCash
    So many ugly people of all nations celebrating the fruits of decades of hardwork.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I was just pointing it out because us Americans take so much heat when we win. We are not the only ones who gloat. And for those select few here who always point out that the US does not win the medals count because of the lack of gold ----USA! USA!
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    People who point out Americans who celebrate are BITTAH and wish they could be in our fabulous grey jackets!

It's our national anthem. I don't care what people say, it's fecking inspiring. "The land of the free and the home of the brave" is a fab last line. Hell, the whole thing is like foreplay to the big climactic end. It was made for winning Oly gold medals.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    It's like Frances Scott Key had Olympians in mind when he wrote the thing!

vCash
    Too bad most of American volleyball team choked simultaneously against Brazil, and couldn't have their wonderful anthem played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Destinee Hooker cannot help her name.
    She can legally change it if she wanted to. But it looks like she fully has embrace the name she was given. So good for her (... but you have to wonder if her parents were under the influence when they named her though )

vCash
    Probably, the parents didn't think about it. I really think we get more innocent as we get older.

I've been a teacher on and off since 2005, and Destiny in various spellings is a really popular name. In 2007, I had a total of 10 Destiny girls and one Destine (accent over last e) boy of various ethnic backgrounds. I had four in one class! It wasn't an unheard of name when I was in school--not nearly as common, but it's been gaining ground for a while.

vCash
    People who point out Americans who celebrate are BITTAH and wish they could be in our fabulous grey jackets!

It's our national anthem. I don't care what people say, it's fecking inspiring. "The land of the free and the home of the brave" is a fab last line. Hell, the whole thing is like foreplay to the big climactic end. It was made for winning Oly gold medals.

Also, I kinda sorta love those grey Nike jackets.

vCash
    Uh, is the OP being sarcastic because I saw their reactions when the Brazillians won and I didn't notice anything unseemly in the way they behaved.

They were overjoyed and bounding up and down all over the place - generally the way in which many winners behave.

vCash
    Probably, the parents didn't think about it. I really think we get more innocent as we get older.

I've been a teacher on and off since 2005, and Destiny in various spellings is a really popular name. In 2007, I had a total of 10 Destiny girls and one Destine (accent over last e) boy of various ethnic backgrounds. I had four in one class! It wasn't an unheard of name when I was in school--not nearly as common, but it's been gaining ground for a while.
    A friend of mine's name is Destiny, which she hates. According to her, "Did my dad name me after his favorite stripper?!". She goes by her middle name, Nicole. She saw Destinee Hooker and texted me "My name situation could be so much worse"

vCash
    Yay did I become a girl?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Yay did I become a girl?
    Have you ever indicated otherwise? I think the default on this board, right or wrong, is female...but now we know.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Love that Destinee has become more famous than her sister who almost certainly would have been a 4x1 gold medalist had she not fallen pregnant.

Destinee is/was also a top class High jumper who jumped 1'98 whilst also concentrating on volleyball. 1'98 would have given her 5th place in the high jump. If she was to ever concentrate on the event solely, I have no doubt she could me an Olympic medalist!

Marshavet, her sister, is a 10'8 sprinter, 6'90 long jumper and 22.1 200m runner.

Talented family, horrendous names.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    love the phrase "fallen pregnant"
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    love the phrase "fallen pregnant"
    Hate it.
    3539 and counting.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    yeah but you seem to feel that way a lot
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    yeah but you seem to feel that way a lot
    3539 and counting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast