View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peggy Fleming

54 32.53%
  • Dorothy Hamill

36 21.69%
  • Katarina Witt

22 13.25%
  • Yuna Kim

54 32.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Olympic Champion SURVIVOR: LADIES Round 5

Here we go, Round 6 -- Ladies!

In Round 5, we said goodbye to:

5th place: KRISTI YAMAGUCHI

We eliminate one skater per round.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Still voting in the icenetwork "It's your move!" contest.
    vCash
    There's a 5 where the 6 should be in this thread title.

I'm voting for Witt again.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    There's a 5 where the 6 should be in this thread title.
    Oh crap!! Admins, can you fix the title to say "Round 6?" Thank you!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    I'm voting for Witt again.
    Me too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Me too
    Me three!

vCash
    We've all seen Yuna Kim's Olympic LP, so here are the others:

Peggy Fleming 1968: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEeKHqFUTqo

Dorothy Hamill 1976 (US Nats LP--doesn't seem to be a video of Olys): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudUg...eature=related

Katarina Witt 1984: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLS0nUK_syA

Katarina Witt 1988: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57R7aAY5QiM

vCash
    This entire poll i have voted for Katarina. But because it is so close between Yuna and Peggy, i voted peggy because Yuna is Awesome and should win

vCash
    I don't like Katarina Witt's style. But the weakest for me is Peggy.

vCash
    Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by galaxy; 08-13-2012 at 10:30 AM.

vCash
    It's so weird. In the round 5 Peggy got only 10 votes while Yuna got 44. As soon as this round started, Peggy got more votes than Yuna.
    This is why these kinds of polls are meaningless, isn't it?
    Maybe FSU should disclose who voted for who also in Ladies just like some of other polls.

vCash
    Peggy

vCash
    I cant believe Yu Na is getting so many votes amongst this group. The only one of these who even compares to her is Hamill and "maybe" Yamaguchi (now gone anyway) due to her longevity and pro career. I LOL at the idea she was a weaker skater than Fleming or Witt even considering the eras they skated in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    It's so weird. In the round 5 Peggy got only 10 votes while Yuna got 44. As soon as this round started, Peggy got more votes than Yuna.
    This is why these kinds of polls are meaningless, isn't it?
    Maybe FSU should disclose who voted for who also in Ladies just like some of other polls.
    Many posters in previous rounds stated that they were gonna vote for Peggy but since Kristi was on the edge, they went for her. Reasonable guess is that votes that were for Kristi are now going for Peggy.

And Konspiracy theory is already boring

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I LOL at the idea she was a weaker skater than Fleming or Witt even considering the eras they skated in.
    One word: figures. Put 2010 Yuna in an 80s comp and she's so far back after the first segment that there's no point continuing to skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    One word: figures. Put 2010 Yuna in an 80s comp and she's so far back after the first segment that there's no point continuing to skate.
    Same scenario for 1966-1968...Peggy and Co. could've possibly wiped the floor with Yu-Na after Compulsory Figures, that not even Yu-Na's 3Lutz-3Toe would save her (even against Peggy's SE-2Axel-SE-Layback... )

vCash
    Im sorry but you cant use the excuse of figures to say that fleming and Witt are better than yuna. If compulsory figures were still in competitions, im sure yuna would have spent hours and hours on them like everyone else had to. Of course her figures arent going to be as good as fleming of witt, because she doesnt need it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Im sorry but you cant use the excuse of figures to say that fleming and Witt are better than yuna. If compulsory figures were still in competitions, im sure yuna would have spent hours and hours on them like everyone else had to. Of course her figures arent going to be as good as fleming of witt, because she doesnt need it.
    Similar analogy also applies. Well it goes around and comes around. If Peggy, Hamil, or Witt had lived in more current era, they probably would have upped their caliber with 3-3s to win.

We don't necessarily need to solely look into these champions' technical abilities or how excellent they were in figures. Dominance, their iconic position in their victories, ability to fully show and present their potential when the time came. These are easier to compare them with.

vCash
    I voted Yuna.. not a fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    LOL and you know Yu Na would have been defective at figures how exactly. Even if she didnt show excellent basic skating which would seemingly lend itself to strong figures if she came up in that era, you would still wouldnt have anyway to tell unless she was Surya Bonaly. Nobody would watch the free skating of Schuba and Lynn and imagine Lynn would be so poor in figures and Schuba so great. That is unless you are admiting the way the sport was then, so rife with politics that a Korean skater would be certain to be buried in figures that they would be certain to never become a big name (probably true in fact, but that only mocks the credability of results in the figures era, and in no way is a mark against Yu Na's skating ability).

One thing for sure, the likelihood of Yu Na being worse in figures than Witt would be next to nothing, given how pathetic Katarina Witt's figures were. Granted she wouldnt have the communist bloc and being the sex symbol of sports at the time to save her if she was anywhere near that bad. Since we are going into fantasy what ifs, an even more likely one is if Witt were from Korea nobody would have ever heard of her, or had she been born in the era of the jumps likewise she would be a nobody today. Only being born in the country she was, having the coach she had, skating when she did, and being born with the looks she did, could she have become a great champion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I haven't actually claimed that Yuna was worse than Witt or Fleming. I believe that the whole comparison of is somewhat pointless. Thus making claims like judgejudy has:
    I LOL at the idea she was a weaker skater than Fleming or Witt even considering the eras they skated in.
    is ridiculous. Yuna -as we know her- would have been slaughtered in Witt's or Fleming's era because she would be competing in a totally different sport.
    Now had Yuna been brought up as a competitive skater in the figures era, she obviously would have devoted most of her time to figures...but then she'd probably also be a way weaker jumper and free skater in general. That's pure speculation we'd be indulging in.
    Kim's actually my favourite skater from that list. I just cannot say that she's clearly superior to the other ladies. She's never had to acquire some of the skills that were fundamental to them.

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy
    LOL and you know Yu Na would have been defective at figures how exactly.
    I said Yuna of 2010 would not be competitive in figures, which is a fair assumption given she's never had to practice them. As to the rest, see above. We aren't comparing hypothetical skaters that could have been totally different under whatever circumstances, which makes your claim of Yunas clear superiority considering the others' era ridiculous. As to the big konspiracy in favour of Schuba from mighty Austria or Witt from mighty GDR . Lacking any proof of them being upheld in figures, I'm more inclined to go with those that were around at the time. Especially Schuba is recognized for being and outstanding figures skater. The woman does deserve some respect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast