Watch me move
    vCash

IOC Refuses to Stand Up for Gay Athletes

Article on how there won't be any Pride House at the Sochi Games because "promoting" homosexuality is illegal in Russia

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ot-just-sochi/
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    sad.
    interesting to hear Amaechi's perspective. I have to wonder though, would the IOC of today take a stand against apartheid, or would they demonstrate the same apathy in that case? I wonder if the court's ruling will be appealed. I really wish the IOC would speak up about this.

I hope the athletes in Sochi can set up an unofficial Pride House, a designated safe space for LGBTQ people.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Maybe the Olympics are like Iran. There are no gays?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Whether there is a Pride House or not, there WILL be gays competing in Sochi. There WILL be gays that win medals in Sochi. Hopefully, the presence of people who are out, successful, and great ambassadors of their various countries and sports will work towards changing people's minds and hearts.

It might not make a difference to Olympians at those games, but it will for Olympians of the future. Be out, be proud. I'd imagine it would be more important to be visible (and much harder) in Sochi than in London. Plus, Russia will be on the world stage. I think they will be forced to tone down their rampant homophobia somewhat, and maybe a lightbulb will spark for some, even if it's only the 20-watt variety.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Article on how there won't be any Pride House at the Sochi Games because "promoting" homosexuality is illegal in Russia

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ot-just-sochi/
    Very disappointing that the IOC is letting Russia get away with this...