Watch me move
    vCash

"Flat Randy" Tribute to Randy Starkman at Olympics

Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    What a nice way to remember him!
    just my two cents...

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Oh have I missed that man's knowledge and articles during these two weeks.

What a wonderful tribute both this *and* naming the Cdn Press Room in his honour. I hope CTV gives us a heads up when the Tribute airs, because I know I'll need Kleenex.

Thanks for posting that and I hope both Clara Hughes and Adan vanK (no way am I screwing up the spelling of his name.) got pictures w/Flat Randy after their wonderful tributes they shared w/all of us.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    What a great tribute to Starkman.

(RDS guy is cute, too. Lovely eyes.)
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Tranquillo
    vCash
    How sweet, thanks for posting the link.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I had CTV on my computer tonight and tried keeping tabs on it, but never saw the promised tribute. Hope I didn't miss it? Maybe it'll air tomorrow?

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Somewhere around 3 p.m. in their Sunday review show leading up to the closing ceremonies. They showed "flat Randy", Randy's spot (reserved for him by the journalists), comments from Simon Whitfield, Andy VanK & Mark Odershaw, and lots of comments from Brian Williams including mention of Randy's family.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Brian Williams said that all the reporters miss Randy.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks to everyone who shared information about "Flat Randy" here! (see my sig. line) I'm hoping I might be able to watch the CTV segment via their website or maybe someone will upload it to youtube at some point?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks to everyone who shared information about "Flat Randy" here! (see my sig. line) I'm hoping I might be able to watch the CTV segment via their website or maybe someone will upload it to youtube at some point?
    Sylvia, CTV has it up on their website already. http://www.ctvolympics.ca/videos/wat...-starkman.html

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks, Anemone, but it looks like CTV's Olympic videos are geoblocked for me here in the States.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    lovely. thx for posting, overedge.

vCash

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I hope you get to see it somehow Sylvia. Good thing I was where the Kleenex box was when it aired.

Loved what Simon said about Randy and his crash. How he just *knew* Randy was up there throwing his notebook to the floor and yelling "Whitfield!!" in disgust.

He just cared so much about the Athletes and so many became friends. The only one I was missing hearing in the Tribute was Clara Hughes, but I think she'd left already by the time they started putting the piece together.

It really was so well done and the respect and love all felt towards him was just so very obvious.

Oh and Sylvia? When my Brother in Law eventually lays into me on "what a disappoinment these Games were for Canada", and this is a sure thing the next time I see him too , may I use that quote as part of my reply to him? I've already warned Mom I'm not putting up w/that crap this time. He once snapped at me when I was at their place and one of our Downhillers won his first World Cup race, "I don't know why you care so much?" I snapped back w/"And why do you only care once every four years?"

I am so sick and tired of people only supporting our Athletes once every four years and then pitching fits when we don't win oodles and oodles of Medals at the Olympics. God forbid the two are linked crosses their minds though.

Randy got that and his passing last Spring left a void in our Sports reporting World in Canada I don't think will ever be filled.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I hope you get to see it somehow Sylvia.
    Thanks, I sure would like to! Anyone in Canada reading this willing to upload that CTV segment somewhere where I can view it? (Go ahead and use my sig. line quote, AE.)

From Starkman's daughter, Ella: http://www.thestar.com/sports/london...-olympic-house
    As someone with a profound dislike for sports, I went in not knowing what to expect. But as I sat there surrounded by so many athletes who share such a strong love and admiration for my father, I was overcome with emotion.

For my entire life, I sat and listened to my father drone on and on about the Olympics. But today I realized the full extent of how much he contributed and how much it meant to him. Even though he never threw a hammer or won a race, my Dad was a champion of a different kind.
    Another article: Canadian Olympians honour memory of sportswriter Randy Starkman: 'A life lost too early'
    “Randy was there when we were nothing and followed us until we became something. He was not about the big things. He was about the small things,” said four-time Olympic rowing medallist Marnie McBean, as she unsuccessfully fought back tears. McBean came to know Starkman in the early 1990s, through his work around the Olympics in Barcelona and Atlanta.

“Whenever I got out of my boat I expected to see Randy on the dock,” said sprint kayaker Adam van Koeverden, a four-time Olympic medallist who won silver in London earlier this week.
    Starkman was special to so many Canadian Olympians in part because he was usually the only journalist following their careers outside the Olympic circus. But he meant much more than that to most of them because he was intensely interested in who they were, where they came from and what they thought about life. To borrow a sports cliché, he always had their corner.