Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I see you as more of an Anthro type than mlp, although you're about the same size and age. You're more whimsical than she is, I think if someone tried to put "whimsical" on her she would shoot it.

And yes, I know Wacoal runs small because my 36DD Olgas and Balis are too big or fit properly.
    Huh. I don't see myself as a whimsical dresser. I guess I like being trendy and like the way cropped jackets look on me with form fitting pants or jeans. Picture classically cut form fitting dark cropped jacket a flimsy white shirt and a well-fitting dark wash jeans with either wedge shoes or boots, depending on the occasion. IMO, that's trendy rather than whimsical. So far that cream lace dress is the only Anthro item I own.

This is whimsical IMO but it ain't me.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I like the Seth Aaron dress. When someone gets something from the collection, please report on the quality. Wonder if all are being manufactured in the same place.

vCash
    I believe Tim said that the suppliers of the fabric were manufacturing the collection.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I like the Seth Aaron dress. When someone gets something from the collection, please report on the quality. Wonder if all are being manufactured in the same place.
    That's the one I was just looking at, it's totally styled for me. Yum. And I have an L&T account but haven't used it in so long, I am not sure I have the card number....

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Huh. I don't see myself as a whimsical dresser. I guess I like being trendy and like the way cropped jackets look on me with form fitting pants or jeans. Picture classically cut form fitting dark cropped jacket a flimsy white shirt and a well-fitting dark wash jeans with either wedge shoes or boots, depending on the occasion. IMO, that's trendy rather than whimsical. So far that cream lace dress is the only Anthro item I own.
    I understand, I like dressing that way myself -- tailored-but-trendy, with any luxury in the fabric or design rather than in bling or twee birdies. Still, I find good stuff at Anthro a lot, you just have to winnow through the silly things.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I don't know anything about the company; but, JS COLLECTIONS supplied the fabrics and manufactured the dresses.

Weblink: http://www.jscollections.com/

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    you just have to winnow through the silly things.
    and ignore the overpriced furniture
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    and ignore the overpriced furniture
    Not only is it overpriced, but no-one human can sit in their chairs, which are about two feet off the ground.

I have some nice kitchen stuff from them, though.

vCash
    LOL my cousin is the head furniture buyer for Anthro/Urban. It is totally overpriced!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Please report on the dress after you receive it. Aceon6.
    I'm particularly interested in the fit and workmanship.
    Should be in Wednesday when I get home from work. I asked around and got confirmation from a friend in NYC that almost everything in the line sold out in size 6 and up so they're doing another production run. Hmmm, wonder if we can get a message to Ven that the 2s and 4s are still in stock while everything else is gone.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Harumph. They have changed the sizing of the Banana dresses again, damn it. I went there to take back one very nice work-conservative dress that was too big in the shoulders and too tight in the belly. I tried on another, really nice purple (YAY) one that should have fit perfectly: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=423138.

This one was very slightly snug across the middle but definitely in range -- and STILL too big in the shoulders, to the point where it sort of rippled into a bubble across the upper back.

Either my body is really changing or their sizing is. Phooey.

vCash
    Harumph. They have changed the sizing of the Banana dresses again, damn it. I went there to take back one very nice work-conservative dress that was too big in the shoulders and too tight in the belly. I tried on another, really nice purple (YAY) one that should have fit perfectly: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=1&pid=423138.

This one was very slightly snug across the middle but definitely in range -- and STILL too big in the shoulders, to the point where it sort of rippled into a bubble across the upper back.

Either my body is really changing or their sizing is. Phooey.
    Gap/Banana/Old Navy have always been inconsistent. I think that part of it is that they machine die cut (which many high volume vendors do). When the die is pressed into the fabric, the upper layers stretch. The sewers still use a 1/4 to 5/8 seam allowance. But the variance in the fabric cut causes significant size differences within the same size. Some vendors machine cut, but use a computer assisted saw type blade, that seems to provide a more consistent size.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Not only is it overpriced, but no-one human can sit in their chairs, which are about two feet off the ground.

come to think of it, my couch is low. but so am i.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I can sit in them. but I can't get out of them!

vCash
    Gap/Banana/Old Navy have always been inconsistent. I think that part of it is that they machine die cut (which many high volume vendors do). When the die is pressed into the fabric, the upper layers stretch. The sewers still use a 1/4 to 5/8 seam allowance. But the variance in the fabric cut causes significant size differences within the same size. Some vendors machine cut, but use a computer assisted saw type blade, that seems to provide a more consistent size.
    Yep. I bought jeans at Old Navy last year (don't judge me, I currently have an average income between $0 and $250 a month and my more expensive jeans are old and one pair gave out completely-- a body must be covered for decency's sake). I tried on a pair and liked the fit but decided to grab a different wash. Looked at that pair and something didn't look right, so I decided to try them on to be sure. Didn't fit at all. Same size and same style.

vCash
    Fit/sizing depends on who puts things together.
    It's rarely standardized, despite industry claims - at any price point.

vCash
    Sale alert (of sorts) for NM last call's website. Some of their accessories, including my new fall-winter handbag are an additional 50% off. Unfortunately, there is no way to search for these items, just have to browse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Fit/sizing depends on who puts things together.
    It's rarely standardized, despite industry claims - at any price point.
    There is more consistency in smaller lots. Price can make a difference, but it is not a certainty. Smaller, more pricy brands might spend more on their cutters. They also may have fewer places where they send their garments to be assembled. As much as I love J. Crew, the sizing can be pretty off. But, they are mass, mass producing. A company like Elie Tahari or DVF is making quantity, but not the numbers of a Crew, Gap, etc.

There are two basic reasons for size changes:

1. As I said above, the way the garments are cut. If the top pieces are cut 1/4" - 1/2" wider than the bottom pieces, even with the same sewer the garment will not be the same size.

2. Different garments are put together in different places. One pair of jeans may be put together in China, another in Indonesia. A sweater might be made in the US, another in Peru.

However, the same style is usually made in the same place. If they are, the change is usually because of the difference in the cut pieces. The machines they sew on have a "stop" that the edge of the fabric goes against to insure the same seam width.

Is anyone going to a Fashion's Night Out, Thursday night? We are not going into the city, but will go to the local one at the SH Mall. It's fun! Food, Champaign, Entertainment! And its for a wonderful cause - In addition to AMFAR, it supports many local charities. Including women's health issues and children's health (hospitals).
    Last edited by cruisin; 09-04-2012 at 05:59 PM.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Well, all that said, you should probably try one on given the fact that you have shoulders and a small butt.

vCash
    Well, all that said, you should probably try one on given the fact that you have shoulders and a small butt.
    I actually have a non-existant butt!

Small butt and hips is really unusual for BR. And, that is a really nice dress. So, I just may go and try it on! Thanks! Is it a knit?

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I actually have a non-existant butt!

Small butt and hips is really unusual for BR. And, that is a really nice dress. So, I just may go and try it on! Thanks! Is it a knit?
    It is. There are a few other nice ones as well. And, another bonus for you, they were too long on me, to the middle of the knee (I would have hemmed them two inches). So I'm guessing these dresses would fit you perfectly!

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast