Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    vCash
    That is about as hideous as it gets!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    That is about as hideous as it gets!
    I hope the "reaction" is enough to keep her from repeating that "mistake".

vCash
    I look forward to jeans loosening up a bit -- kind of over the leggings/skinny jeans look. And still waiting for a reprieve from all those sparkles. Any hope for "clean", less ornate designs (easy to wear, easy to wash) to come back into style? I don't buy many clothes, and I hate buying jeans almost as much as I hate buying bras.

vCash
    So, digging this thread up to ask for suggestions. We are having a global technical conference at work next week. I am one of the organizers. Normally, these types of conferences have quite casual dress, even sometimes including jeans and polo shirts. One of our more uptight management types convinced some of the other sometimes uptight management types that the dress should be the "upper end of business casual." He actually wanted to require coats and ties for the men, but some of the other folks talked him down. So, barring some sort of mass rebellion, we are stuck with this. For women, it's not quite so obvious, though my lab director (who is a woman, as am I) commented today, well just a button down shirt with nice slacks. I was wearing today a nice Vera Wang top with a nice sweater and she said that would not qualify. I was thinking I could put a blazer over it and that would be fine, but now I am feeling paranoid and thinking I need to go shopping Saturday.

So... anyone have any suggestions? I could use some nice blazers or cardigans anyway, but I'm just not sure about tops or blouses. I don't like plain button down shirts myself, nor do I want to end up too fancy. Any links to ideas would be welcome.

vCash
    I don't know what your budget is. But, a navy or black suit (with a skirt or slim slacks) would be good. Theory is a good choice, though it is more $$$. What is nice about Theory is that you can buy a blazer and slacks, and if you decide, next year, that you want the skirt, the fabric never changes. You can always add to it. J. Crew, also, has very nice suiting. The beauty of separates suiting, is that you can always wear the jacket as a blazer.

vCash
    I think a skirt would be overkill, so it will be something with nice slacks. Good to know about Theory. The bigger question for me is what to wear with the blazer and slacks.

Quadless
    vCash
    I kid you not - I live in fitted t-shirts. Nice ones, of course. But under a jacket you don't really see them, especially if you accessorize (necklace or scarf). If the rest of your pieces are of good quality and fit you well, you can get away with it.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    What we used to call shells are nice -- somewhat structured, plain scoop-necked shirts made out of silky polyester or ponte. Three-quarter sleeves are flattering and useful for most people. Contrasting color, and wear a nice necklace.

I didn't like buttondowns either until boob shrinkage operation, I could never get them to fit properly. But I'm wearing one today.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Agree with above. A good quality t-shirt. Doesn't have to be cotton, it can be silk or some other silky fabric. A solid tank top would also work. A button down is fine, but I would go for a silkier fabric. I always feel constricted with a cotton shirt under a blazer.

Ideas:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...#fn%3Dspp%3D13

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Theory-G...&cmCat=product
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Theory-L...&cmCat=product

These are really nice, I have a few. http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category...3490/13490.jsp

vCash
    You may find some ideas here, as well:

http://www.anntaylor.com/sale-suits/...&fRequest=true

vCash
    I wear A'Nue Ligne, they are available in boutiques and on-line in 37 (seriously!) colors, and sizes--normal--and also the L1 and L2 are for heavier people:

https://anueligne.com/shop/ab002/

I wear one every day, wash and dry in machines (even though it says to hang dry), have held up over 5 years.

Not listed right here, but available, is a longer length one, but my butt is too big for that.

vCash
    Thanks for all the tips. We'll see. I could use some new clothes anyway, but I was intending to wait until I lost some weight, but since that's not happening very fast, what the heck.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Do you ever see something you love and can afford and know you.just.can't.wear.it.without.looking.silly. It's so frustrating.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/...0513-_-Large_1

Quadless
    vCash
    PRLady - I think you'd look fab in that. It's a great color for you, the neckline is good, and you've got the gams to pull off that length. Go for it!
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    PRLady - I think you'd look fab in that. It's a great color for you, the neckline is good, and you've got the gams to pull off that length. Go for it!
    You are very nice. But it is too bare up top, I'm getting more covered up these days, and the blush color is beautiful but would wash me out unless I had a nice tan, which one is not supposed to have anymore.

It's just too young for me. Sniff. But I want IceAlisa to buy it if it comes in petite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    You are very nice. But it is too bare up top, I'm getting more covered up these days, and the blush color is beautiful but would wash me out unless I had a nice tan, which one is not supposed to have anymore.

It's just too young for me. Sniff. But I want IceAlisa to buy it if it comes in petite.
    It's beautiful. But, it is sheer. I could never wear it either, because I HAVE to wear a bra!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

Not a chance. I just came back from Europe and am taking a break from shopping. We will see how long that lasts... But why don't you try in in black and without the tweeny jewelry? It looks like you can wear a bra with it.

ETA: damn it, PRLady. Now I found this super cute shift dress there and am thinking about it. Ugh.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/...6-_-Regular_16
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 10-21-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    That is one tough dress.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    adorable! i might run in on my way to pet smart tomorrow. it doesnt count as shopping if you arent making a special trip.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Do you ever see something you love and can afford and know you.just.can't.wear.it.without.looking.silly. It's so frustrating.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/...0513-_-Large_1
    it's not a big boob dress. something about the way it is cut might not flatter. waist seam might be too high.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast