Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    That dress is a rather simple sheath. If you sew, you could copy that for around $75, even if you went with a designer silk.
    I'd make it up in a stretch sateen, rather than silk - more comfortable, and no dry cleaning - in a fabric like this:http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/shop/....php?pID=19101
    You would probably have to be a more experienced sewer, to make that. Princess seams are not easy to get smooth, and there are some neckline darts that fold into the princess seams. I've sewn for years, and I often find that some of the simplest (looking) garments can be the most difficult. simply because any little miss-stitch shows.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Making clothes!

I am stunned that I'm getting emails about advance sales on fall clothing. Where did summer go?
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Making clothes!

I am stunned that I'm getting emails about advance sales on fall clothing. Where did summer go?
    This is when the fall clothing comes out. The spring stuff is on sale in March, the summer stuff on sale by, May. I was in Bloomingdales, last week, and the Vince stuff is all fall - sweaters, wool pants, etc. all of the Vince summer things are on the final sale racks. By next week, I expect to see all fall on the racks. But, I hear you, summer is only 1/3 over! and We're getting ready for cold weather. Though, after the last week, I'd love for a few days in the 70s.

vCash
    Didn't think this deserved a thread of it's own. So, I thought I'd put this here. Saks 5th Ave is being sold to Hudson's Bay Company for 2.4 billion. I had heard that Saks was having financial difficulties, and that there was a possibility of going out of business. They are selling themselves. HBC (for those unfamiliar) Is a Canadian department store/corporation. They also manage Lord & Taylor, in the US. It will be interesting to see how or if Saks changes after the sale.

vCash
    ^^^
    I'm interested in seeing what happens, as well.

vCash
    I think that part of Saks problem has been that it is not as current as Neiman Marcus and that they don't carry some more moderately priced lines like Bloomingdales. Saks has tended toward a more matronly, very expensive style. They also have a weird rewards program. You accrue points, but they only issue rewards once a year (February, I think). Most other stores issue rewards as soon as you have enough for the minimal reward card. Interestingly, I just got a questionnaire from Saks (email), asking opinions on how the store could be better. It was primarily service oriented.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I put Saks in the Neiman Marcus category -- Stores That Intimidate Me. And stores that intimidate don't sell to people who perceive that they don't belong there, although I could find many things in both stores on sale. Bloomie's makes me laugh but it doesn't intimidate me.

The Chevy Chase Saks just screams, you have to be really rich to shop here.

vCash
    I could find many things in both stores on sale.
    I've done lots of shopping on those racks over the years -- particularly at Saks!

vCash
    Neither store intimidates me. I have bought things at both. But, I find that Neiman Marcus seems to carry more current, on trend fashion. While Saks tends to be more conventional. Those comments really reflect in-store merchandise. Saks on-line is much more like Neiman.

PRlady, why does Bloomies make you laugh?

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Neither store intimidates me. I have bought things at both. But, I find that Neiman Marcus seems to carry more current, on trend fashion. While Saks tends to be more conventional. Those comments really reflect in-store merchandise. Saks on-line is much more like Neiman.

PRlady, why does Bloomies make you laugh?
    Because it's a caricature of itself. It's so shiny, so trendy, so brown-bag, so infatuated with itself. I buy things there occasionally, usually on sale. The new one in Chevy Chase is ridiculously overpriced and if you wander in there on a weekday -- this being a working woman's town -- all the over made-up cosmetics ladies are deep in conversation with each other, having nothing else to do.

There's a fair amount of brand overlap with Lord & Taylor and even Macy's, and the stuff is always cheaper if carried elsewhere. Also its website stinks.

Next question?

ETA: Maybe my problem is with Chevy Chase. I lived there for ten years and now wonder what the hell I was thinking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Because it's a caricature of itself. It's so shiny, so trendy, so brown-bag, so infatuated with itself. I buy things there occasionally, usually on sale. The new one in Chevy Chase is ridiculously overpriced and if you wander in there on a weekday -- this being a working woman's town -- all the over made-up cosmetics ladies are deep in conversation with each other, having nothing else to do.

There's a fair amount of brand overlap with Lord & Taylor and even Macy's, and the stuff is always cheaper if carried elsewhere. Also its website stinks.

Next question?

ETA: Maybe my problem is with Chevy Chase. I lived there for ten years and now wonder what the hell I was thinking.
    I have a few Bloomingdales near me. Paramus, NJ/Bridgewater, NJ/and the closest one is Short Hills, NJ. Don't like the stores in Paramus or Bridgewater. But, the one in SH is fantastic. I have no problem with their website. But, I know what brands fit and which ones I like, so I go straight to them. The Lord & Taylor near me is not so nice. And, the Macy's around here are terrible. Clothes thrown all over the dressing rooms, the stores smell funny (bad funny), the sales help doesn't have a clue. And, no cash registers in departments, they have two or three general registers on each floor and (again) the sales help is clueless. Macys used to carry a lot of what Bloomingdales carries, but not anymore, not since Macys bought them.

The Neimans, near me, just renovated. Don't like what they did. The departments are more flashy, but they have half the inventory. Nordstroms is great for shoes, but I don't do well there with clothing.

The one problem I have with most department stores is that their plus size departments are terrible. Saks and Neiman don't even have them in the store, just on line. Bloomingdales and Nordstroms have departments, but it is mostly crap. All of the nicer things are on line. And as hard as it is for average sized women to buy without trying on, it is so much harder for plus size. I have a dear friend who likes to shop when she is here visiting. She finds more things here than in KY, but it is always disappointing. And why do they put plus departments in the basement with housewares? that is insulting!

vCash
    Had my fitting today. Love my dress. Had 4 different bras with me . Still not sure which will be best. I'll wait for the next fitting and decide.

vCash
    I'm glad to hear good news about the fitting.
    That dress is ideal for you.

The "big day" will arrive before you know it!

vCash
    Getting down to the wire! Did the table assignments on Friday night. Had dinner for daughter, fiance', his parents and my husband and I. Did the planning over desert and wine . Don't know why I felt so overwhelmed by doing that. but, glad it's done. We officially have 192 people coming! I try on my dress Wednesday, hope it fits. And my daughter tries hers on Thursday, also hope it fits. i don't want to have to be running around the following week picking up dresses. Daughter goes back to school the first week of September, so she will have very little time. Especially since this semester she starts her clinical work. Still have to make several pounds of fudge for the welcome bags (for people staying at the hotel) 65 of them! I'm starting to get excited/nervous.

vCash
    Ahh...I was awaiting your latest report. crusin.
    I'm happy to hear that the "last-minute" plans are going well.

vCash
    Cruisin, fudge recipe?

vCash
    My daughter is married! The wedding was a blur! She was exquisite and her husband handsome. I can't believe it's over! A year of planning and looking forward to it and now it's over, and I feel like I was trying to take in so much that I was overwhelmed. It was beautiful!

vCash
    YAY! Congratulations to the happy couple! Glad to hear it went well.

vCash
    Pictures, please?

vCash
    I don't know how to insert photos.

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast