Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Resurrecting this thread. My daughter's shower is in two weeks! The wedding is only two and a half months away! Time is flying! Her dress is in, fitting in July. Bridesmaids dresses are cobalt chiffon, three different bodices, same manufacturer. Flower girl's dress is precious! Going for tasting Wednesday. My dress is in, waiting for late July for fitting. Flowers are purple, blue, and white hydrangea, with white roses. Daughter ordered her shoes, hope they fit (skater's feet). And hope her dog doesn't get to them.

vCash
    I'm glad to hear about your progress toward the "big day"!

vCash
    Well, the shower is past. It was June 30th. It was lovely. About 50 people. My daughter got lovely gifts. It was at a restaurant in Peapack-Gladstone, Cafe Azzurro. The food was great. We provided the wine and Prosecco. The company was great. My daughter looked beautiful, as did her bridesmaids.

We go for my daughter's first gown fitting on Thursday. We spent yesterday printing the addresses on the envelopes for the invitations. Today, I get them weighed for postage and then Grooms Mom and I will stamp and stuff. Hope to have them out Wednesday. That part is the most nerve wracking part. My OCD kicks in and I start worrying - Did I forget one? Did I forget to put the RSVP card in one. I will survive this!

vCash
    ^^^
    I know you will!

vCash
    Invites are stuffed and stamped. Bringing them to post office tomorrow. Stressing that I forgot something in an envelope. Mom-in-law, and new wonderful friend assures me I didn't forget anything. She helped me today. Can't open the envelopes to check. Stamps are on them and I don't have enough extra envelopes! LOL Have to trust that it's fine. Self doubt stinks!

Can't believe that wedding is only 2 months away! I'm excited, can't wait. Yet, at the same time, don't want it to come too soon and be over. I suppose that's normal.

vCash
    Went for the first fitting today. The dress is even more beautiful than I remembered. I got tears in my eyes again. My daughter's fiance's mom came, she got teary too. I got my veil out of the box it went into after I got married, and it is in perfect condition. It was a Pricilla of boston and beautifully made - netting with handmade lace, scalloped and medallion edging. It is the perfect ivory match. so, we will take it off of the head piece it was on and attach it to a comb. And she will wear my veil. Goose bumps!

vCash
    ^^^
    I'm so happy for you!

Ivories are surprisingly difficult to match.
    Obviously, your daughter was meant to wear your veil.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    ^^^
    I'm so happy for you!

Ivories are surprisingly difficult to match.
    Obviously, your daughter was meant to wear your veil.
    I, actually, didn't think it was going to work. The veil was in perfect condition. However, when we got to the bridal salon, I took it out of the bag and placed it on a chair. When it was all folded up, it looked off from the dress. I said to my daughter, i don't think this is going to work. Then she put it on. With it spread out, it matched. The seamstress said it was one of the most beautiful veils she'd seen. And, that we'd never be able to find one made like that today. I will put some crystals on the lace edging to make it work with the dress (which has crystals - not a lot). It was really special that when the seamstress said she would put some Swarovski crystals on the lace, my daughter said - I was a figure skater and my Mom beaded all of my dresses, so my Mom should do it. She wanted me to bead something she will wear, this is perfect. Sending you a PM

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Yay!

I'm in need of some new shoes for my career change. By the fall, I will no longer be working in a lab, but very likely interning at an enterprise software company.

What do you think will work for a typical corporate environment? I'm not entirely sure how formal the dress code is (if I need to invest in pantsuits, for example) but I figure my dirty sneakers and old jeans will not fly. I have wide feet and narrow heels and my feet get cold VERY easily, but I'm not sure if typical career shoewear for women allows for socks...

Any advice?

As for clothing, I figure I should traipse around the local H&M for things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Yay!

I'm in need of some new shoes for my career change. By the fall, I will no longer be working in a lab, but very likely interning at an enterprise software company.

What do you think will work for a typical corporate environment? I'm not entirely sure how formal the dress code is (if I need to invest in pantsuits, for example) but I figure my dirty sneakers and old jeans will not fly. I have wide feet and narrow heels and my feet get cold VERY easily, but I'm not sure if typical career shoewear for women allows for socks...

Any advice?

As for clothing, I figure I should traipse around the local H&M for things.
    I would invest in a pair of Cole Haan pumps. Watch for sales. they have some that do not have super high heels. But, a black pair of simple pumps will take you anywhere. The reason for Cole Haan is that they are very, very comfortable. Via Spiga is also very comfortable, but they are more trendy. I have a wider toe box and a narrow heel and both brands fit well. Nordstroms is about to have a big sale in a few days, check there. A good pair of black leather pumps is truly an investment, well worth it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I would invest in a pair of Cole Haan pumps. Watch for sales. they have some that do not have super high heels. But, a black pair of simple pumps will take you anywhere. The reason for Cole Haan is that they are very, very comfortable. Via Spiga is also very comfortable, but they are more trendy. I have a wider toe box and a narrow heel and both brands fit well. Nordstroms is about to have a big sale in a few days, check there. A good pair of black leather pumps is truly an investment, well worth it!
    Thanks for the heads up! This is why I hang out at FSU.

I already have a pair of Easy Spirit pumps that fit pretty well, but I'm just not used to wearing heels, period. Should probably go around the house in them for a while before I commit myself to an entire working day in them.

vCash
    RE: Cold feet. If you plan on wearing pants, a lot, consider a pair of booties. You can get a pair with a moderate heel, and try them on with socks, to make sure they are roomy enough. You can also wear booties with tights and skirts/dresses. Even if the workplace is casual, I.E. jeans permitted, I would not wear sneakers. That, in my opinion, is too casual. Loafers/oxfords/ballet flats/booties/boots/low heeled pumps (especially with skinny jeans/pants), sandals (weather permitting) all would work in a casual environment.

Quadless
    vCash
    It was really special that when the seamstress said she would put some Swarovski crystals on the lace, my daughter said - I was a figure skater and my Mom beaded all of my dresses, so my Mom should do it. She wanted me to bead something she will wear, this is perfect.
    What a wonderful moment.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    RE: Cold feet. If you plan on wearing pants, a lot, consider a pair of booties. You can get a pair with a moderate heel, and try them on with socks, to make sure they are roomy enough. You can also wear booties with tights and skirts/dresses. Even if the workplace is casual, I.E. jeans permitted, I would not wear sneakers. That, in my opinion, is too casual. Loafers/oxfords/ballet flats/booties/boots/low heeled pumps (especially with skinny jeans/pants), sandals (weather permitting) all would work in a casual environment.
    This, and also in the more socially acceptable months of "winter wear" (I put that in quotes because in some places of the US "winter" is merely a work we use to mark the time, not an actual description of the kind of weather you typically have), you could probably get away with tights and sockings. They cover your whole leg, not just your foot, buuuut they will keep your feet toasty warm! And they are fine to wear with heels and such.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Also, Anita, I have problem feet and find it easier to wear boots (of any length) than ordinary shoes. The ones with heels are easier to walk in, too, because they can't fall off your narrow heels. Try Rieker brand for booties (Zappos) and see if they work for you.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Some good luck today! Alf needed a new pair of jeans, and his go-to clothing store (for some reason or another) is Crossroads Trading Co, which is a consignment shop. I tagged along since I figured, might as well shop for work-appropriate stuff, and I spied a pair of patent black flats. Cole Haan, Nike Air footbeds. Given the lack of wear inside and out, practically unworn. I couldn't see a size (it turned out to be waaay inside the shoe) but I tried it on anyway....AND IT FIT GREAT.

The price was $28, and it was 50% off (probably out of season, I can't find it online) that so I snagged 'em for $14.

vCash
    Some good luck today! Alf needed a new pair of jeans, and his go-to clothing store (for some reason or another) is Crossroads Trading Co, which is a consignment shop. I tagged along since I figured, might as well shop for work-appropriate stuff, and I spied a pair of patent black flats. Cole Haan, Nike Air footbeds. Given the lack of wear inside and out, practically unworn. I couldn't see a size (it turned out to be waaay inside the shoe) but I tried it on anyway....AND IT FIT GREAT.

The price was $28, and it was 50% off (probably out of season, I can't find it online) that so I snagged 'em for $14.
    You will love them! I got a pair of Cole Haans really cheap a few years ago. It ruined me for other shoes! Except for Via Spiga (which would fit you well too). And on sale Stuart Weitzman. I have a few pair of Marc Marc Jacob shoes, love them, but can only wear them if walking is not mandatory! LOL

Cole Haan has outlet stores, you can get really great deals there. Do you have one near you?

vCash
    You will love them! I got a pair of Cole Haans really cheap a few years ago. It ruined me for other shoes! Except for Via Spiga (which would fit you well too). And on sale Stuart Weitzman. I have a few pair of Marc Marc Jacob shoes, love them, but can only wear them if walking is not mandatory! LOL

Cole Haan has outlet stores, you can get really great deals there. Do you have one near you?
    I think I tried Via Spiga at a Nordstrom Rack once, and it fit me well. Wasn't the right style, though, but I just wanted to see.

I found a pair of Ferragamo pumps that fit well too. Apparently 7B is my size for higher-end shoes. But they were a weird pattern and $50. I mean, if they had been black or something, I probably would have gotten them despite them being more pricey, but they would have been hard to match outfit-wise.

No Cole Haan outlets near me. My wedding shoes were also Cole Haan, from ebay, and I went to the regular store to try on the size.

vCash
    I think I tried Via Spiga at a Nordstrom Rack once, and it fit me well. Wasn't the right style, though, but I just wanted to see.

I found a pair of Ferragamo pumps that fit well too. Apparently 7B is my size for higher-end shoes. But they were a weird pattern and $50. I mean, if they had been black or something, I probably would have gotten them despite them being more pricey, but they would have been hard to match outfit-wise.

No Cole Haan outlets near me. My wedding shoes were also Cole Haan, from ebay, and I went to the regular store to try on the size.
    I hate to admit this but I am a total shoe freak! I have more shoes than anyone should ever own. I read a fashion article, once, that asked the question: How many black pumps should a woman own? Their answer was 10. I laughed, I know I have more!

Keep your eyes open for Cole Haan ballet flats going on sale - they are beyond comfy! I have them in 7 or 8 colors and wear them with everything. The one color I don't have is brown, keeping my eye out for a brown pair on sale. This pair in particular is amazing! http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/cat...ctGroup=387804

vCash
    I hate to admit this but I am a total shoe freak! I have more shoes than anyone should ever own. I read a fashion article, once, that asked the question: How many black pumps should a woman own? Their answer was 10. I laughed, I know I have more!

Keep your eyes open for Cole Haan ballet flats going on sale - they are beyond comfy! I have them in 7 or 8 colors and wear them with everything. The one color I don't have is brown, keeping my eye out for a brown pair on sale. This pair in particular is amazing! http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/cat...ctGroup=387804
    I have...no shoes. I wear the same pair until they die. I do love the way shoes look, but I'm extremely picky about fit and comfort, and I can't be arsed to match them with outfits and stuff.

Maybe I'll go shopping on ebay for more Cole Haans now that I know what my size is.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast