Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Her big mouth could wear a Hefty bag and still get a response.
    What a pal. However, even if that's true, it's even more intimidating to have a big mouth be articulate AND feel well-dressed!

And mkats, that's the bargain to end all bargains. I don't know where you live that the pools are open til November (!) but congratulations!
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I had a gift card that was near its expiration date, so I made a detour to the mall today and picked up this pretty blue BCBG cocktail dress for $15 (it's going on ebay for $69!) and a brown and white summer dress by Connected (can't find a picture of it online) for $9. The lady running the fitting room laughed when she saw the summer dress and said that she'd been eyeing it for awhile, but since it didn't fit her she kept waiting for someone else to take it home It's still 80 degrees out today and the pool is open until November so I expect I'll get some use out of it this season yet.

And best of all I still have $30 on the gift card, so I'll have to make another trip soon!
    Pretty! And practically free!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I'll take both. And decide Saturday at around 4.
    Which dress did you choose for the wedding?

vCash
    Polka dot.

vCash
    I thought you would!
    Did you "fit in"?

vCash
    The clothes were all over the place! There were women in formal gowns, some in minis, and probably most of us in cocktail length. 5:30 is a weird time for a wedding.

vCash
    The clothes were all over the place! There were women in formal gowns, some in minis, and probably most of us in cocktail length. 5:30 is a weird time for a wedding.
    I was at an evening wedding last year that was more all over the place than that. It was in a hunting lodge with dirt on the floor and folding chairs and a bride in a enormous sequined ball gown. Guest attire ranged from people in sweat pants and Husker jerseys (including the mother of the bride) to people in cocktail dresses and suits and tie. My sister-in-law and I had debated what to wear as we knew the venue and we also had seen pics of the bridal gown. We went with rather casual skirts and boots and ended up feeling overdressed and under dressed all at the same time depending on who we were standing next to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I was at an evening wedding last year that was more all over the place than that. It was in a hunting lodge with dirt on the floor and folding chairs and a bride in a enormous sequined ball gown. Guest attire ranged from people in sweat pants and Husker jerseys (including the mother of the bride) to people in cocktail dresses and suits and tie. My sister-in-law and I had debated what to wear as we knew the venue and we also had seen pics of the bridal gown. We went with rather casual skirts and boots and ended up feeling overdressed and under dressed all at the same time depending on who we were standing next to.
    That sounds like a reasonable choice I bet you girls looked cute!

I still have never been to a wedding (unless you count being a babysitting for some strangers once). I kind of wish some of my friends would hurry up and get hitched so I could have an excuse to wear some of these dresses I bought

vCash
    You were in the Bay Area. I'm surprised no one showed up in a tutu. Or an ice dance costume.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Niece is getting married next October, and I'm on the "dress committee" which pleases me. But I just discovered she's getting married on a Friday night, which means the dress issue is going to be difficult.

Why? Friday night is not when Jews get married, it's the Sabbath, we get married Saturday night (after it's over) or Sunday. The fact she's getting married on a Friday means she won't find a rabbi to perform the wedding. It also means she will probably ignore the dictate of not wearing strapless or sleeveless.

As a rabbi friend says of me, "The shul I don't go to is Orthodox." Meaning that while I'm utterly secular in religioius observance, I tend to have the traditional instincts that reflect how I was raised. And if she picks a sleeveless/strapless dress I will be uneasy.

Talk about first world problems.

vCash
    5:30 is becoming more common as more and more brides and grooms are opting to get married at the reception venue, rather than in a religious building.
    Since you don't have to incorporate the travel time between the wedding ceremony and the reception venue, they like to start the cocktail hour immediately following the service. The service is typically 30 minutes. So, based on a 5 hour reception, you either start at 5:30 and and the reception at 10:30 or you start at 5:30 and end at 11:00. We just went through this booking my daughter's wedding. They want to get married outside, overlooking the golf course, at the venue. I am thinking, though, that I will put 5:00 on the invitation. Weddings never start right on time. And I figure that if we get people there and seated and actually start at 5:15, we can manage another 15 minutes of mingling before the drinks are served .

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    As a rabbi friend says of me, "The shul I don't go to is Orthodox." Meaning that while I'm utterly secular in religioius observance, I tend to have the traditional instincts that reflect how I was raised. And if she picks a sleeveless/strapless dress I will be uneasy.

Talk about first world problems.
    I can understand that. Tradition is important. There are some lovely dresses that are strapless and have matching "bolero" type tops for the service, that can come off for the reception.

Daughter and I are planning to start looking Friday. So excited!

Slightly off topic, had the engagement party on Sunday. 30 people at the house. 2 weeks of major cleaning, 3 days of cooking, I am exhausted! But, a great time was had by all .

vCash
    We got my daughter's wedding dress today. I was happy and sad at the same time. I am happy that she found a dress she loves. But, it was the first place we went to and I had hoped to have a few shopping expeditions with her. But, it is stunning and she is stunning in it.
    Last edited by cruisin; 10-11-2012 at 10:24 PM.

vCash
    Congratulations!

Do you have a picture of the dress?
    Now, what's the mother of the bride going to wear?

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Yes, photo please!

Something tell me the bride's mom isn't going to do this in one shopping expedition.

vCash
    Yes, photo please!

Something tell me the bride's mom isn't going to do this in one shopping expedition.
    You are so right! I seem easy to fit. Tall and thin. But, not being able to wear any dress that is strapless or too low in the front or back, eliminates about 75% or the dresses.

Here is the dress: http://www.jlmcouture.com/Lazaro/Bri...012/Style-3217

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    You are so right! I seem easy to fit. Tall and thin. But, not being able to wear any dress that is strapless or too low in the front or back, eliminates about 75% or the dresses.

Here is the dress: http://www.jlmcouture.com/Lazaro/Bri...012/Style-3217
    OMG what a dramatic dress! I know your daughter is tall like you and I'm sure she will look lovely, that is NOT a dress for the short girl.

And that Marchesa dress you showed us...keep an eye on that one.

vCash
    That's spectacular!

I seem easy to fit. Tall and thin. But, not being able to wear any dress that is strapless or too low in the front or back, eliminates about 75% or the dresses.
    And this MOB doesn't want to look like the "typical" MOB, I'll bet!

vCash
    OMG what a dramatic dress! I know your daughter is tall like you and I'm sure she will look lovely, that is NOT a dress for the short girl.

And that Marchesa dress you showed us...keep an eye on that one.
    Thanks! It is dramatic! She tried on a more traditional ball gown, with a set in waist. But, she is long waisted and it made her look like she was wearing a child's dress. Then she tried on some all lace mermaid style dresses, with the crystaled belts. They looked lovely. I actually pulled the one she got. At first she just looked at me and said do you really want me to try that on? I said, you have to see how it looks. She put it on, came out, I cried, and she just gasped at the mirror. I thought we should look around a bit more (I wanted more shopping time ), she said no, this is it. Plus, they were haveing a 15% off sale and if we came back next week, we'd have to pay full price. We get the veil for free. She needed dramatic. She's worn crystals her whole life ! It fits her like it was made for her. She looks like a cross between a movie star and an angel.

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    That's spectacular!

And this MOB doesn't want to look like the "typical" MOB, I'll bet!
    Thank you too! I know! That is going to be a problem. I found a dress that I like on the Pronovias site (MOB dress). But, stores only have what they have. They won't order different styles or sizes that they don't have. http://www.pronovias.us/cocktail-gowns/last-mob-gowns/ you probably won's see the dress on the first page. Click next until you see "Linda".

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    We got my daughter's wedding dress today. I was happy and sad at the same time. I am happy that she found a dress she loves. But, it was the first place we went to and I had hoped to have a few shopping expeditions with her. But, it is stunning and she is stunning in it.
    Wheee! I like one-stop shops. That is a super-dramatic dress indeed, and yes, sometimes it is better to get THE ONE instead of wanting to shop around and then losing your dream dress. When it's the one, it's the one!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Thank you too! I know! That is going to be a problem. I found a dress that I like on the Pronovias site (MOB dress). But, stores only have what they have. They won't order different styles or sizes that they don't have. http://www.pronovias.us/cocktail-gowns/last-mob-gowns/ you probably won's see the dress on the first page. Click next until you see "Linda".
    I love it!

My own mother will probably freak out a bit wondering what to wear for my wedding, but she'll probably end up grabbing something from my aunt's closet. She's super-short, so not every style will work for her, even if she is very thin.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast