Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

vCash
    Mary Janes look super cute with tights. Or if you are wearing them with pants, go with a nude sock or black sock depending on pant color.

Okay, the grey dress. I got it at a vintage store; it's allegedly from the 70s and has no tags indicating material.

This is the color - my dress is more of a slip dress and has spaghetti straps, and I have a little black shrug to put over it.

http://www.polyvore.com/grey_straple...ng?id=46462099

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Mary Janes look super cute with tights. Or if you are wearing them with pants, go with a nude sock or black sock depending on pant color.

Okay, the grey dress. I got it at a vintage store; it's allegedly from the 70s and has no tags indicating material.

This is the color - my dress is more of a slip dress and has spaghetti straps, and I have a little black shrug to put over it.

http://www.polyvore.com/grey_straple...ng?id=46462099
    Is it silky? And is the bottom embroidery or lace? It sounds pretty. Just be careful that it is not too lingerie looking (the fabric too thin) for a wedding. Hard to know without seeing it.

vCash
    It's not very silky. More chiffon. And mine has embroidery around the bottom.

My back up dress is black and white polka dot with a red tulle underskirt. It's a bit short, though, I think. (the bottom of the tulle hits right above the knee)

vCash
    It's not very silky. More chiffon. And mine has embroidery around the bottom.

My back up dress is black and white polka dot with a red tulle underskirt. It's a bit short, though, I think. (the bottom of the tulle hits right above the knee)
    That doesn't sound too short, to me . I think either dress would be fine. I'm feeling a retro look with the polka dot one - if dressy enough, that would be very cool!

vCash
    I'll take both. And decide Saturday at around 4.

vCash
    Have a great time. I'm sure you will look fabulous in either dress.

vCash
    When you're there you'll know the best look for the occasion.
    Enjoy!

Title-less
    vCash
    Thx for the tip on shoes, gals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Thx for the tip on shoes, gals
    You could also try patterned tights - polka dots, stripes, etc. they would be funky with maryjanes.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    there are SOOOO many cute tights right now, it is impossible to not buy a ton of them

and if you had your heart set on socks for warmth, they have the knit ones and also ones that are lined.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I'm looking for advice on what to wear on "formal nights" on a cruise. My sister, some friends, and I booked a trip on Royal Caribbean (through the Caribbean) in March and have 2 formal nights, where the dress code says "cocktail dress". Do people really bring two cocktail dresses, with jewelry and heels, on a mid-priced cruise? I have two dresses that I wore recently to weddings that could pass (and I can wear the same shoes), but I really don't want to take two dresses when they each will be worn just at dinner. From what I hear, closet/room space is at a premium anyway.

Would it be a mistake to forgo one or both of the formal dinners? Are these dinners really that much better than the food/atmosphere we could get at the more casual dining options? Since this is my first time, other tips for cruising are also welcome.

vCash
    Unless you feel odd wearing the same dress twice, I can't see why you would need two. I've never cruised the Caribbean, but when cruising Alaska (on Holland America), I just wore the same skirt and fancy blouse for the formal nights ... and it was fun just dressing up for a change. However, I understand from a few friends who are travel agents that Alaska is the most informal of the cruise locations.

You may want to find out more about the casual dining options on board your ship. On my cruise (which was over ten years ago), it was the formal dining room or the buffet ... and I wanted to avoid the buffet, to make portion control easier.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    I've been on the RC cruise through the Caribbean (plus two longer Princess cruises through Europe) and while some people do really really dress up on formal nights, you can totally get away with wearing a nicer skirt and blouse (bring one skirt, two matching blouses - few will even notice, because you'll be sitting down) on formal nights. I've seen people wear nice jeans on formal nights. They won't throw you out of the restaurant (it goes against their best interests, because they hope you will purchase drinks with dinner).

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I've never been on a cruise but I've been to "fancy" restaurants in the Caribbean many times. And one thing is consistent -- no matter what I wore, I was overdressed. Meaning that I brought real dresses or fancy tops to wear with white slacks and hardly anyone else dressed up that much. It's a vacation, wear something nice that you're comfortable in and maybe a sparkly necklace to make it look "formal" and call it a day.

And I have a LOT of Mary-Janes because I can't wear pumps with my foot problems. I wear them barelegged in summer and with tights or trouser socks in the winter and they look good, I think.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    You could bring one "nice" dress and a maxi tee shirt type of dress. The maxi would work for sightseeing as well. Just change the shoes/jewelry.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I have been seeing a bunch of cute Mary Janes on Zappos and other places, but I can never figure out what socks I can wear with them when my feet get cold. (especially for a pair of cute red Mary Jane). Right now I can wear Mary Janes without socks but I want the sock option open
    I have a pair of red Mary Janes and I wear them with black tights when it's too cold for nekkidness. I was in a fabric store the other day and a little girl saw my shoes and said "I like her shoes!" and I thought to myself excellent, I must be starting to skulk into "age inappropriate" territory if little girls are coveting my footwear.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I have a pair of red Mary Janes and I wear them with black tights when it's too cold for nekkidness. I was in a fabric store the other day and a little girl saw my shoes and said "I like her shoes!" and I thought to myself excellent, I must be starting to skulk into "age inappropriate" territory if little girls are coveting my footwear.
    Nope. Red Mary Janes (and now I want a pair too!) say sexy-and-funky to grownups and fairy-tale-shoes to little girls. You're good.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Nope. Red Mary Janes (and now I want a pair too!) say sexy-and-funky to grownups and fairy-tale-shoes to little girls. You're good.
    Rats.

My red Mary Janes are Naots. I blame you entirely.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Rats.

My red Mary Janes are Naots. I blame you entirely.
    I have been craving for a pair of Naot Nina in red. But it is a freaking 180 dollars

http://m.zappos.com/naot-footwear-nina

I really like Naot's selection of colors. Naot lyric in bronze is also purdy

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    I have been craving for a pair of Naot Nina in red. But it is a freaking 180 dollars

http://m.zappos.com/naot-footwear-nina
    Yes. However, I gave up on Made in China shoes because none of them ever last longer than 6 months. The Naots, on the other foot, keep going and going and going so really in the long run they end up being the more cost effective choice.

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast