Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I have to say Hayden Panettiere looked good. The hair and make-up were clean and classy and the dress very interesting. Most other ladies and some of the gents were disasters.
    WAY too much yellow and chartreuse. I'll give Claire Danes a pass 'cause she's pregnant. But Julianne Moore and Julia Bowne, beautiful women dressed in awful, awful colors for their coloring! Yuck.

I loved Zoe Deschanel's gown. It set off her beautiful skin and eyes and she's quirky enough to carry off all that princessy tulle.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Changing topic a bit. Daughter's wedding date it set. Early next September. Now the hunt is on, we have a year! We will look for hers first. I saw a dress that I think would be amazing on her, she likes it. : http://www.jlmcouture.com/Jim-Hjelm/...012/Style-8214
    I wore a Jim Hjelm for my wedding (ouch, 22 years ago now). The fabrics and workmanship are amazing. I doubt I could afford that dress today as it was 100% silk with rather elaborate lace and pearl embellishments on the bodice.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I love this one: http://www.jlmcouture.com/Jim-Hjelm/...012/Style-8211.

But I was raised in a religious tradition in which sleeveless and strapless dresses are not permitted, so despite all my rebelliousness I naturally gravitate to the more covered-up models.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

INTJ
    vCash
    Speaking of Zooey Deschanel's dress...
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I loved Zoe Deschanel's gown. It set off her beautiful skin and eyes and she's quirky enough to carry off all that princessy tulle.
    I thought so too. She looked like a beautiful, ethereal, princess.

But I was raised in a religious tradition in which sleeveless and strapless dresses are not permitted, so despite all my rebelliousness I naturally gravitate to the more covered-up models.
    A lot of the more covered up dresses can look dated. But, that one is stunning.

The photo of the one my daughter and I like has a sleeveless (sort of) bolero top option. We both really like that. My daughter has a very small waist and has nice curves, so the tight torso with the tule skirt would really flatter her. But, she could try it on and hate it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

That's very Duchess Kate. Love it. I have a soft spot for Jim Hjelm as my own wedding gown was copied from one of his (cuz I wasn't going to shell out 6K or whatever it was for a friggin wedding gown. And they wanted $500 for a veil!! A piece of white illusion fabric.)
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash

i think most people look better with sleeves or at least straps.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I have a sewing/fashion question for y'all.

I bought this dress at a thrift store ($4!) a few weeks ago, and on a date out with Boyfriend I realized that the fabric is actually quite stiff and somewhat uncomfortable when tied in a knot behind my neck. So I did some quick measuring and sewed the straps together into a loop that I can just slip my head through.

So, question... are the leftover dangling straps too long in the back? It wouldn't be difficult to cut and sew them shorter, but I can't decide how short, or if I should just leave them long the way they are.

vCash
    I like the ties long.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Me too. Otherwise too reminiscent of a swimsuit. Cute dress!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Excellent, less work for me Thanks, ladies!

vCash
    I like the long ties, too. I might go one step further and sew them into the back (or hook-and-eye) to create a T-shape back.

vCash
    What on earth do a I wear to a 5 pm wedding? HELP!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    What on earth do a I wear to a 5 pm wedding? HELP!
    Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? What does the invitation say? Black tie, black tie optional, nothing about dress? Where is the wedding? Beach, country club, banquet hall, restaurant? Do you know the couple well? What is their style? Trendy, fasionistas, laid back?

In general a cocktail dress. Gowns are no longer the "norm" wedding attire. But, the dressiness of the cocktail dress depends on the above. 5pm is usually dressier than an earlier wedding. But, again, that depends on the wedding style.

vCash
    Saturday. The invitation gives no guidelines, it's a hotel in Oakland, CA. I have a grey sheath dress with some black embroidery on the hem. Is that okay?

vCash
    That setting is a little more formal than some.
    Do you have a picture of the dress?

vCash
    Well, then it is not "formal", but it is dressy. If you don't have a photo of the dress, what is it made of? Can you describe it in more detail?

Title-less
    vCash
    I have been seeing a bunch of cute Mary Janes on Zappos and other places, but I can never figure out what socks I can wear with them when my feet get cold. (especially for a pair of cute red Mary Jane). Right now I can wear Mary Janes without socks but I want the sock option open

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I have been seeing a bunch of cute Mary Janes on Zappos and other places, but I can never figure out what socks I can wear with them when my feet get cold. (especially for a pair of cute red Mary Jane). Right now I can wear Mary Janes without socks but I want the sock option open
    The under 30s at our workplace wear them with thin ankle sox that match or contrast with the shoe. IMO, it's not a look for someone with shorter legs. The over 30s are going with tights.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Title-less
    vCash
    I knew there's a reason I haven't found anything to make Mary Janes work

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast