Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'd like to add to my earlier post -

Versus the 3 oldies, I think it may come down to just Dornbush and Miner on the young'uns side. Mahbanoozadeh's problem is that he doesn't seem to get a lot of love from either the USFSA or from international judges. He is handicapped in that he will not make an appearance on the GP circuit to bolster his credibility as a US top #2. Now, if he goes to a Senior B and gets a big score showing a consistent, workable Quad, that might change the equation but not sure by how much.

I also did not know that the judges in this quadrennial were scrutinizing jump take-offs more? I never saw the problem with EL's axel take-off relative to any one else's but I guess we will find out soon enough.

I want to reiterate I actually like JW's chances: He seems to have matured more (marriage?), made some peace with the USFSA, and of the 3 - Lysacek, Weir, Abbott - he was always a bit more 'authentic' with more natural ability than Lysacek (Weir's 3x was always a beauty), combined with not being nearly as head case-y as Abbott: A good balance might lift him to a spot. He is reportedly training the Quad w/ some success. I know. We must see it to believe it, but it sounds encouraging.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I never saw the problem with EL's axel take-off relative to any one else's but I guess we will find out soon enough.
    There's a reason Plushenko's camp referred to Evan's 3A as a "triple salchow," and the reason isn't trash talking.

As far as which skaters will be on the World team, considering that the season hasn't yet begun, it seems a bit premature to be speculating. I just hope that whoever they are, they don't end up having had their best performance of the season at Nationals, as has been the trend lately.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yes, I know all of that.

Some skid/pre-rotation will always happen on the edge jumps. Such is their nature.

In Lysacek's case, it was consistently more pronounced and apparent than what you usually see from other skaters.
    Oh okay.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Quadless
    vCash
    I never saw the problem with EL's axel take-off relative to any one else's but I guess we will find out soon enough.
    There's a reason Plushenko's camp referred to Evan's 3A as a "triple salchow," and the reason isn't trash talking.

As far as which skaters will be on the World team, considering that the season hasn't yet begun, it seems a bit premature to be speculating. I just hope that whoever they are, they don't end up having had their best performance of the season at Nationals, as has been the trend lately.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    ^^ Yes, speculation is premature, BittyBug, I agree. But as fans we always seem to do it. Perhaps we do it out of anticipation and eagerness for the season to begin, as well as a bit of anxiety and fingers-crossing for our faves, not to mention just plain temptation to predict. Of course, predictions are a dime a dozen and can generally be thrown out the window when the season starts, since anything can happen and usually does.

Johnny's always had a gorgeous 3-axel (hopefully he will have success landing a quad too, but actual competition is necessary to find out). Miner is another U.S. guy with a consistent and beautifully executed 3-axel. Abbott generally has all around great jumping skills, when he's on. Abbott landed the quad extremely well I believe about 2 out of six or seven tries last season(?). Abbott's quad in fp at Nats was a gorgeous slam dunk. Richard was successful on quad too a few times last season, although he seemed to have trouble maintaining rhythm and execution on some of his triples. Someone indicated in the U.S. men's thread that RD had a bit of trouble with his skate blades last season too. I hope all the guys will be prepared with no equipment problems. RD seems to be on the right track with both of his programs this season. I can't wait to see what everyone has in store. It seems to me that even the middle rung of U.S. guys have stepped up their game and have improved a lot, and no wonder.

It's definitely crucial for them all to pace themselves to do well throughout the season, in order to be primed at Nats, but to peak at Worlds. I don't know about poor Worlds performances being "a trend" necessarily among U.S. skaters, since the men acquitted themselves very well in 2011 (but were just undermarked, IMO). Alissa also did well in 2011 (but obviously in both 2011 and 2012, one U.S. lady suffered from injury-related problems). Yes, Abbott and Rippon did not perform up to their abilities as they had at Nats in 2012, but I don't accept that as a trend. Hopefully, it will turn out to be a lesson learned for everyone on the U.S. team. Pace yourselves, try to stay injury-free, learn how to let your nerves work for you, not against you. Bring your A game, and own the moment!

Oh yes, this is the Evan comeback thread, not U.S. men's thread, but it's all connected. May it all play out fairly and may the best men win and bring back the 3-spot!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 08-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    Now that they can judge the takeoff edge in slow motion, Evan might be in some trouble on his flip.
    That won't matter with him at US Nationals anyway. Judges at Nationals are renowned for batting a blind eye to a skater's technical problems on home country ice and then said skater doesn't make the required fixes to said issues and are hammered for it at Worlds.

vCash
    Weir´s past results show that as a Worlds competitor he has been a lot better than Abbott. Lysacek though did beat Weir in every Worlds he participated in. I hope that Weir´s transitions will be not "the Russian style transitions", but true transitions....

Anyway this season with Lysacek´s comeback will become even more interesting that I thought.

vCash
    As far as "comebacks" are concerned, I look at it in a very democractic way -- even though figure skating can be far from democratic. If a skater (any skater) wants to make a comeback, wants to try again, wants to test their limits, whatever ... I say, "Go for it!"

Some would like Evan to go away. But having Evan in the mix or even just trying to be will create tension -- tension for those who like Evan and tension for those who don't. That's interesting.

Same for Johnny.

Overall, however, if healthy, I think Evan will have a better comeback shot than Johnny -- just due to his training style and single-mindededness. Not a compliment to Evan and not a slam to Johnny. Just a difference in personality and approach.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Mmmm, ahem, ya don't say. Well based on your stated location, your preference is not too surprising I suppose ...
    watching the same over emoting gets boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    ... Some would like Evan to go away. But having Evan in the mix or even just trying to be will create tension -- tension for those who like Evan and tension for those who don't. That's interesting.

Same for Johnny.
    I think that Evan (and Johnny) being in the mix will also help spur the competitiveness of the other men. The competition level has been raised and thus, everyone will have to be even better just to get a shot

vCash
    ^^ I agree. It's already apparent to me, as I mentioned earlier, that everyone has worked hard at improving and upping the ante.

Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    watching the same over emoting gets boring.
    ... And watching the same tepid or "trying too hard" presentation skills (lack thereof) isn't boring?

I'm not singling out Brezina btw, as I think he has great potential to develop more presentation-wise (and he already has exciting jumping abilities). It will be interesting to see the impact that his new coach/ training environment will have on his skating.

vCash
    I also did not know that the judges in this quadrennial were scrutinizing jump take-offs more? I never saw the problem with EL's axel take-off relative to any one else's but I guess we will find out soon enough.
    The instances of skaters getting marked down on the GOE for underrotation when they haven't got a < or << equal pretty much zero so Evan can sleep safe and sound.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ... And watching the same tepid or "trying too hard" presentation skills (lack thereof) isn't boring?

I'm not singling out Brezina btw, as I think he has great potential to develop more presentation-wise (and he already has exciting jumping abilities). It will be interesting to see the impact that his new coach/ training environment will have on his skating.
    Not really, because the music is more exciting in his case. And when someone tries too hard, it keeps me awake because I can make fun of it if it's REALLY bad? And yes, hopefully he will manage to skate a clean long program, too.

vCash
    Do you think Johnny will skate his elements the way they are planned?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    Do you think Johnny will skate his elements the way they are planned?
    Yes. Moreover, he seems genuinely open to any feedback that will come out of Champs Camp next week. We know this has been an issue in the past; hell, he even wrote about it in his book. The maturity is the difference here, imo.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Just curious - if Evan does well at Skate America, then would there any chance for him to get a 2nd GP assignment (for example, as a last minute alternate/substitution)? Or are 2nd GP assignments dictated solely by the ISU rankings/season standings?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Just curious - if Evan does well at Skate America, then would there any chance for him to get a 2nd GP assignment (for example, as a last minute alternate/substitution)? Or are 2nd GP assignments dictated solely by the ISU rankings/season standings?
    Nope, it wouldn't. You have to have a (high) score from last season in order to be on the substitute list.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Just curious - if Evan does well at Skate America, then would there any chance for him to get a 2nd GP assignment (for example, as a last minute alternate/substitution)?
    Not the way the GP Announcement is written, unless he were to win one of five early Senior B's, and then he'd be so far down the list, he'd never get into a group of five to be selected.

Or are 2nd GP assignments dictated solely by the ISU rankings/season standings?
    Alternates list (in order)
    • Split couples/Return skaters
    • Skaters in proper order of top 24 SB
    • Top 75 SB
    • Comeback skaters/couples (7th-12th at 2010 or 2011 WC's)
    • Winners of US Senior International, Nebelhorn, Nepala, Finlandia, Cup of Nice
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Evan is gonna win everything! He will even win Canadian Nats! He's just that good
    Yeah, and he also works harder than everyone else...

Guess it's time to get the 'ol black big bird costume out of the closet, and dust it off.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Evan is gonna win everything! He will even win Canadian Nats! He's just that good
    He'll even beat Gracie Gold.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast