Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Evan is not going to win Olys again and will be lucky to make the team again. Once you take time off the injuries and age just snowball. It's frustrating when Oly champs take the gold and flee the scene - so I'm glad he's giving it a try though.
    Frustrating for who, leafygreens? The fans? Think about the athletes....they are the ones who put in the work, day in and day out, abusing and punishing their bodies with injuries, trying to determine what level of pain can be managed...what is a new ache and pain. Skating in 2012 is far different from 20 years ago. COP has changed how skaters train, and I for one, believe that the athletes are dealing with more debilitating injuries now than ever before; chronic injuries that their work, school, training schedules just don't allow for complete recovery. And once a chronic injury takes root, it starts to play with the psychological side of training and performance. The athlete's frustration must sky-rocket!

vCash
    The last couple of times I've seen anything about Evan training it has said that he is at Lake Arrowhead. Is he training with Frank Carroll? I thought Frank was at the new Cathedral City rink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan102 View Post
    If I had to guess, probably not. Kudos to Johnny for getting out there and actually competing, but it was far from a homerun. Not a meltdown, but he didn't do great either. I maybe would have bought this (a little) if Johnny had been amazing, but he was pretty mediocre at Finlandia (and this is from a fan). I doubt Evan was intimidated by it or used it as a gauge for his own comeback.
    Maybe, not Johnny's results, but possibly, Richard Dornbush's results may have had an effect? Certainly, Evan can't compete against a good Dornbush (or Miner) unless he is 100 percent healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Maybe, not Johnny's results, but possibly, Richard Dornbush's results may have had an effect? Certainly, Evan can't compete against a good Dornbush (or Miner) unless he is 100 percent healthy.
    If Miner's 4s isn't consistent by Nationals thanLysacek without a quad would likely still beat him, at least domestically. I don't think getting out of the US would really be that much of a problem for Evan honestly, only Max Aaron has been really consistent with his quad and Evan will have a huge PCS advantage over him, and all the other men, while many are talented, tend to be inconsistent in general or at least in terms of lading and rotating quads, even though many are attempting it this season. Evan could likely make the World team without a quad if he could just skate well, hit his 3axels, and make sure his spins are up to snuff. The bigger fear is the international stage - there, without a consistent quad it's highly likely Evan won't medal at Worlds or the Olympics, and potentially his placement could be out of the top 10 which would be embarrassing for him. He's already won Worlds, medaled at Worlds a few times, and won the Olympics: in order for him to repeat any of that now he either needs to either develop a consistent quad or pray for a miracle or splatfest to occur. And even then, things are slippery. If Evan's smart he won't come back and will end his career on a high note.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    If Miner's 4s isn't consistent by Nationals thanLysacek without a quad would likely still beat him, at least domestically. I don't think getting out of the US would really be that much of a problem for Evan honestly, only Max Aaron has been really consistent with his quad and Evan will have a huge PCS advantage over him, and all the other men, while many are talented, tend to be inconsistent in general or at least in terms of lading and rotating quads, even though many are attempting it this season. Evan could likely make the World team without a quad if he could just skate well, hit his 3axels, and make sure his spins are up to snuff. The bigger fear is the international stage - there, without a consistent quad it's highly likely Evan won't medal at Worlds or the Olympics, and potentially his placement could be out of the top 10 which would be embarrassing for him. He's already won Worlds, medaled at Worlds a few times, and won the Olympics: in order for him to repeat any of that now he either needs to either develop a consistent quad or pray for a miracle or splatfest to occur. And even then, things are slippery. If Evan's smart he won't come back and will end his career on a high note.
    I think this is why I miss professional competitive skating so much, and why last weekend's Medal Winner's Open in Japan was such a tread.

Evan could have been this generation's Brian Boitano and after his experience on Dancing With The Stars, was really beginning to develop the artistic / performance aspect of his skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Evan Lysacek has withdrawn from Skate America "due to a groin injury"; Armin Mahbanoozadeh has replaced him - press release:
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48513&type=media

"Lysacek expects to compete at the 2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 20-27, in Omaha, Neb."
    Shocking!

Well sans the if he really is suffering from a chronic injury. But that makes his come back even less likely.

vCash
    I'm sure that Evan will at least make the 2013 U.S. Nationals....advertisements. Advertisements that will show him and Johnny. Of course, we all hope that BOTH men actually compete.

vCash
    So Evan is pulling a Sasha. I am so happy that Johnny is out there already competing and getting his grove back. Evan has to watch it, just because he won 2010, does not mean there are any guarantees, he should be out there now smoothing out the rough edges, sort to speak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Evan Lysacek has withdrawn from Skate America "due to a groin injury"; Armin Mahbanoozadeh has replaced him - press release:
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48513&type=media

"Lysacek expects to compete at the 2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 20-27, in Omaha, Neb."
    Yeah for Armin!

(We could try to focus on the positive!)

vCash
    I dont think Evan will even show up at Nationals and will likely bail on his so called comeback altogether (or continue the chardade of it until the last minute to milk publicity, whichever it is). However in the event he does show up at Nationals I dont think he will have an easy time making the team. His problems with the USFSA last year indicate they arent even a huge fan of his comeback neccessarily. Abbott usually skates great at Nationals, and beat Evan there easily the last two times they met at Nationals, in Evans World and Olympic title years too. Dornbush continuing his early season momentum wouldnt be easy for Evan to beat at Nationals, especialy as the USFSA probably views him their best future hope at this point. Rippon is a threat as well. He could make the team but it is no slam dunk. Yes Evan would probably beat Miner or Weir, but that only guarantees him getting in the top 4 or 5, those arent the guys he will have to beat to make the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I think this is why I miss professional competitive skating so much, and why last weekend's Medal Winner's Open in Japan was such a tread.

Evan could have been this generation's Brian Boitano and after his experience on Dancing With The Stars, was really beginning to develop the artistic / performance aspect of his skating.
    True Evan seems stuck in limbo. He might want to compete but he probably cant compete with the top amateurs at the World level today anymore, and there is no pro competitive avenue to go to. So he is stuck in a kind of netherland, getting injured, not knowing what to do, losing money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I dont think Evan will even show up at Nationals and will likely bail on his so called comeback altogether (or continue the chardade of it until the last minute to milk publicity, whichever it is). However in the event he does show up at Nationals I dont think he will have an easy time making the team. His problems with the USFSA last year indicate they arent even a huge fan of his comeback neccessarily. Abbott usually skates great at Nationals, and beat Evan there easily the last two times they met at Nationals, in Evans World and Olympic title years too. Dornbush continuing his early season momentum wouldnt be easy for Evan to beat at Nationals, especialy as the USFSA probably views him their best future hope at this point. Rippon is a threat as well. He could make the team but it is no slam dunk. Yes Evan would probably beat Miner or Weir, but that only guarantees him getting in the top 4 or 5, those arent the guys he will have to beat to make the team.
    Max Aaron, Joshua Farris, and Armin Mahbanoozadeh could play possible spoilers as well.

vCash
    Max Aaron, Joshua Farris, and Armin Mahbanoozadeh could play possible spoilers as well.
    True, it will be an interesting Nationals. I dont think anyone is a lock, but I do think if Abbott skates as well as he usually does at Nationals he will win and for sure make the 2 man team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverkwanfan View Post
    So Evan is pulling a Sasha. I am so happy that Johnny is out there already competing and getting his grove back. Evan has to watch it, just because he won 2010, does not mean there are any guarantees, he should be out there now smoothing out the rough edges, sort to speak.
    Maybe you missed the part about Lysacek withdrawing due to injury. I am sure that Lysacek's doctor has advised him to wait until the injury heals before he tries to "smooth out the rough edges" in competition.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    He said he's asked USFS to find him a Senior B to replace his GP for December. According to the icenetwork article:

Still, in the big picture, Lysacek is looking at this injury as "probably a minor setback" but added that he wanted to be "really careful" about staying healthy.
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I hope that Evan is able to compete, if that's what he wishes to do.
    The opinions of "armchair experts" won't determine this, fortunately.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I love Frank Carroll's "Eh, you'll live" attitude
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    And Keegan Messing, and as much as I hate to say it, even Brandon Mroz if he manages to land some of those 3 different quads he's reportedly training. So that's the issue, there's around 8 guys in the mix for the 2 Worlds and 2 or 3 Olympic spots already without Evan showing up, and by next season, there could be even more players (Jason Brown if he gets a 3a and quad by then, someone who comes out of nowhere a la Gracie Gold, etc). The men's field has breadth and depth, much like the international stage, meaning a rusty or "off" Evan could place shockingly low (for his standard) at Nationals, 4CC, Worlds, etc just because of this, if that happens, its embarrassing and could lead to bad publicity, mockery, re-hash over the fairness of the 2010 Olympic results, etc. Which is why I have a hunch this comeback will never materialize. Groin injuries are tricky to begin with, so that alone could keep him out of the game until it's feasibly too late to go after a legitimate come-back.

vCash
    The men's field has breadth and depth, much like the international stage, meaning a rusty or "off" Evan could place shockingly low (for his standard) at Nationals, 4CC, Worlds, etc just because of this, if that happens, its embarrassing and could lead to bad publicity, mockery, re-hash over the fairness of the 2010 Olympic results, etc.
    This is another reason why I miss the professional competitive circuit from the 80s and 90s. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Medal Winners Open in Japan last weekend is the start of a pro circuit renaissance.

Many Olympic and world medallists didn't risk potential embarrassment returning to eligible events or watch their own standing slide. Instead, they were able to develop showmanship as well as maintaining a decent technical standard.

At least when Boitano stumbled in Lillehammer (mostly due to a nagging tendon injury), he was so well trained upon recovery that in the Autumn and Winter of 1994, he dominated the pro circuit thereafter.

Skaters like Lysacek and Weir don't have that, or the luxury of watering down their content with quad jumps suddenly in vogue again.

vCash
    [QUOTE=pinky166;3708296 I don't think getting out of the US would really be that much of a problem for Evan honestly, only Max Aaron has been really consistent with his quad and Evan will have a huge PCS advantage over him, and all the other men, while many are talented, tend to be inconsistent in general or at least in terms of lading and rotating quads, even though many are attempting it this season. [/QUOTE]
    Are you forgetting about Abbott? While he is inconsistent in general, he seems to give his best performances at Nationals and I think can be expected to skate well enough there to get World team slot. I agree that Lysacek would have a big PCS advantage over the rest of the US men. I don't know if the US selectors would give him a World team slot if he does not place 1 or 2 at Nationals. If I were them I'd be tempted if he looks any good at all. This Worlds will determine 2014 Olympic spots and all our other men (incl Abbott) either have no experience or have fairly poor Worlds showings to date.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast