Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    In his place, I'd be happy that everything aligned for me to win gold and find something else to do.
    Pretty much. If he actually does carry out his comeback at some point, I am not sure what his goals or motivation for it would be. It is hard to imagine even him being delusional enough to convince himself he can fight for gold vs the current field.

vCash
    From Phil Hersh's article today: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...4124661.column
    Lysacek, who turned 27 in June, said he will be working with both his longtime coach, Frank Carroll, two or three days a week at a rink in Ontario, Calif., and with Kwan’s sister, Karen, the rest of the time. He has been training with Carroll in Lake Arrowhead this summer.

“I think the most positive thing of delaying a year is I have had a whole year to train before jumping back into competition,” he said. “I feel much more prepared than I was a year ago.”
    “It was very impressive what he did in a year,” Lysacek said of Plushenko. “I need the extra year to get my world ranking points up so I can do the World Team Trophy this season. There will be a team event in the 2014 Olympics, and I would like to be part of that.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Go, Evan! Go !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    As long as they get marked to the same standard as everyone else at Nationals.
    Sasha was not marked ridiculously up at 2010 nationals, so that gives me hope. I like our young guys and I want to see them continue to develop and be rewarded for what they do well. I'll also be excited to see Evan and Johnny again (if it happens, I'll believe it when I see it).

Please god let him have better triple axels.
    Keep dreaming. He's never had good Axel technique, and I don't expect that to change now. His best thing is his consistency.

vCash
    The team competition as part of the rationale for coming back does make sense. If ever can get back near his 2010 form, he'd be a heck of a lot better than what we saw at Worlds last year. Hopefully the US men's situation will improve to the point where we have a medal contendor, but it's not happened yet. So if the rest of the US men don't improve and Evan is able to regain his form, he probably can't really contend for an individual medal without a quad but he could definitely add points for the team over what we saw in 2012.

vCash
    From the Chicago Tribune article:

snip

Lysacek said his efforts to add a quadruple toe loop jump are going well.
    I hope this comes to fruition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Please god let him have better triple axels.
    Please, God, if he doesn't, let the judges give the appropriate marks.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    From the Chicago Tribune article:

snip

I hope this comes to fruition
    It's very doubtful. Under the old COP he was able to get a level 4 step sequence and now they are easier to get. They will focus on the level 4 step sequences and now that there is going to a halfway point bonus in the SP they will backload SP and LP and go for level 4 step sequences. Maybe 6 jumps after the halfway point in the LP and 2 in the SP. He was very strident in defending his quadlessness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    If the judge panel had in Vancouver, he wouldn't have won the gold. They turned a blind eye to his UR-ed 3A and lip while Takahashi's UR on 3F+3T and "e" on 3Lz (twice) were really questionable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Is there a public link to this video? =I[/url]
    The video is private.
    Last edited by SkateFan66; 08-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide2 View Post
    EEEVVVVAAAANNNN!!!!!!!!! EVAN in LONDON!! EVAN AT SKATE AMERICA!!!

i'm so happy!
    Could not agree more!!! Welcome back, Evan...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Just like with Johnny, I'll believe it when I actually see it. If Skate America comes around and Evan gets on the ice, then I'll believe it.

*shrugs*

As long as they get marked to the same standard as everyone else at Nationals.
    That's what's happened to them before. Neither one of them beat Abbott the last two times they were all at Nationals, and it will be a tough order for either (or both) of them to do it in 2013. With only two spots for U.S. Men at Worlds and tougher competition than there was back in 2010, the chances are that at least one, if not both of them, won't make the cut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    It's very doubtful. Under the old COP he was able to get a level 4 step sequence and now they are easier to get. They will focus on the level 4 step sequences and now that there is going to a halfway point bonus in the SP they will backload SP and LP and go for level 4 step sequences. Maybe 6 jumps after the halfway point in the LP and 2 in the SP. He was very strident in defending his quadlessness.
    But that was then. This is now.

Kind of continuing my first post: I'm not as big of an Evan fan anymore (but I still don't get the strident dislike for the guy), and I do think there is a chance we will get a Quadless Evan again since he's going to be 28 yrs old and no longer a spring chicken, but he and FC would have to be pretty clueless not to grasp where Men's skating is in 2012 - 2013 as opposed to 2009 - 2010. They will probably strategize accordingly. It could be Evan's goal will be just a team comp slot @ Sochi ... or something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Evan said that Vera was working on his new suits.
    Is that a euphemism for something more intimate?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    If he actually does carry out his comeback at some point, I am not sure what his goals or motivation for it would be. It is hard to imagine even him being delusional enough to convince himself he can fight for gold vs the current field.
    News flash, but not every skater is in it just to win medals. Some actually enjoy training and competing, and just being able to participate in the sport.

If Evan has decided he wants to go back into competition - and he of all people should know the amount of work it takes to win at the highest level - then good for him. I hope he enjoys what he does, whatever that leads to.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Interview with Lysacek from London - article by Amy Rosewater: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I like Evan and wish him well and his music choices are wonderful, but I will be rooting for my main man Dai up until Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    The judges should have been consistently marking him down on the GOE for the very apparent pre-rotation (much bigger than what is usually the case).

With the technical panel, it's not as clear cut as they cannot watch the pre-rotation in slo-mo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    But that was then. This is now.

Kind of continuing my first post: I'm not as big of an Evan fan anymore (but I still don't get the strident dislike for the guy), and I do think there is a chance we will get a Quadless Evan again since he's going to be 28 yrs old and no longer a spring chicken, but he and FC would have to be pretty clueless not to grasp where Men's skating is in 2012 - 2013 as opposed to 2009 - 2010. They will probably strategize accordingly. It could be Evan's goal will be just a team comp slot @ Sochi ... or something like that.
    The man chosen for the team will also compete in the mens event.

Frank Carroll was saying in 2010 that the Olympic judges would not give the gold to anyone who did not do a quad. They do not believe a quad is important or necessary to be successful and find ways to get the points. The whole goal of Vancouver was to win Olympic gold and nothing else and they did so without a quad just like they won the world title. There is no jump standard in skating there is just get the most points.

Judges are now giving men 10's in PCS. Lori Nichol and her judges seminars may lead to Lysacek getting 10's.

"I still believe the winning program will be a clean one." Lysacek says he watches Chan and says this? Obviously because he never made a major mistake with his all triple programs he thinks he can beat Chan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    The man chosen for the team will also compete in the mens event.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know.

Frank Carroll was saying in 2010 that the Olympic judges would not give the gold to anyone who did not do a quad. They do not believe a quad is important or necessary to be successful and find ways to get the points. The whole goal of Vancouver was to win Olympic gold and nothing else and they did so without a quad just like they won the world title. There is no jump standard in skating there is just get the most points.
    From what you posted, FC said in 2010 that a Quad was important and no one would win without one?

Anyway, if following the rules gets you the most points and it wins you the competition, then all power to that skater and his coach. It's not the skater's fault

"I still believe the winning program will be a clean one." Lysacek says he watches Chan and says this? Obviously because he never made a major mistake with his all triple programs he thinks he can beat Chan.
    OK. If EL said this, it would be a little delusional ... Chan gets massive point totals w/ falls and stumbles

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast