vCash

Question Re: American Olympic Team

I seem to know more how China finds and funds their Olympians than how my own country funds our Olympians. Does anyone have a link for a good article that explains how our government funds our team and how much money they set aside for this? I guess I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it camp" but I really would like to know how our system works.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I seem to know more how China finds and funds their Olympians than how my own country funds our Olympians. Does anyone have a link for a good article that explains how our government funds our team and how much money they set aside for this? I guess I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it camp" but I really would like to know how our system works.

Here's a quote from wikipedia -
    Under the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act, the Committee is chartered under Title 36 of the United States Code. Despite this federal mandate, it receives no continuous financial assistance from the U.S. government. As a non-profit organization, the USOC is wholly dependent on private contributions and corporate sponsorship.[2]
    If you are really interested the USOC issues a financial statement and an annual report here - http://www.teamusa.org/About-the-USO...Financial.aspx

vCash
    Thank you---I guess I should stop complaining about NBC or whoever gets the rights to broadcast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Thank you---I guess I should stop complaining about NBC or whoever gets the rights to broadcast.
    It's also why the sponsorships are so important - McDonalds, Visa, etc.

Having said all that (and hoping I don't open a can of worms) there is federal funding for things like security for the host cities when the Olympics are held in the USA.

vCash
    That makes sense: You know there will be those who will try to disprupt the games. I am a bit shocked at the lack of government involvement but we seem to be fine and the government certainly has plenty of other challenges to keep them busy.