Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Are teams now only 4 people, or are they limited to 4 because the upcoming worlds doesn't have a team event?
    Because this worlds has no team event.

vCash
    My random thoughts:

1) Simone scored 60.500 AA on night 1. Kyla scored 60.500 AA on night 2. Worlds is going to be awesome!

2) Her gymnastics is a bit fug, but Mykayla Skinner's FX is kinda awesome.

3) Where was Brenna Dowell's twisting pass on FX? That's a requirement, IIRC, and she had all flipping passes. What is this deduction?

4) Kim Zmeskal is a rockstah.

5) I cannot wait to see what Bailie Key does next year as a senior. Her junior scores would have put her 3rd AA, 1st BB and 5th FX in seniors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    My random thoughts:

5) I cannot wait to see what Bailie Key does next year as a senior. Her junior scores would have put her 3rd AA, 1st BB and 5th FX in seniors.
    She won't be a senior till 2015. Hoping she stays healthy!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Do all the girls from a particular gym wear the same leo? Because otherwise I'm not sure why people would pick some of the leos they're wearing.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Typically gymnasts from the same club will wear the same leo during Nationals. Been that way since I can remember.

vCash
    National team is: Biles, Ross, Dowell, Ernst, Nichols, Skinner, Baker, Maroney, Price, Kocian, and Priessman.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

Dowell gets her twisting requirement in on her first pass which was a double layout full in. She did NOT twist it the first night and the judges didn't notice.

I would send Dowell to worlds for her bars. By then, perhaps Maroney will be ready to go on beam and Marta can make final lineup choices after podium training. Not sure on the deadline for that.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by london_calling View Post
    National team is: Biles, Ross, Dowell, Ernst, Nichols, Skinner, Baker, Maroney, Price, Kocian, and Priessman.
    What's the significance of being on the National Team? Does that make you eligible for selection for international events ?

Thanks for answering all my dumb questions.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    What's the significance of being on the National Team? Does that make you eligible for selection for international events ?

Thanks for answering all my dumb questions.
    No questions are dumb
    By being on the national team you get some funding and are in contention for international events (and you get the leotards they use for those events). Girls who perform well at training camps throughout the year can also be added to the national team. I'm sure Katelyn Ohashi will be added at some point in the near future.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am glad to see Kocian made the National team. That tells me that Marta wants her for the UB/BB girl and is going to give her a shot at making the selection camp.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Do you guys know why the physique of female gymnasts has changed so much over the last decade or so. Watching the competition most of these girls look so muscle bound compared to the lithe petite girls of past generations. The dance and musicality is so much less appealing. I assume the tumbling has taken precedence over the other aspects and they need the bulk for that - I haven't watch gymnastics for a long time - can't believe it looks so different - and so much more labored. Have to say I dislike the changes as much as I dislike COP in skating and the changes that has brought about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy sullivan View Post
    Do you guys know why the physique of female gymnasts has changed so much over the last decade or so. Watching the competition most of these girls look so muscle bound compared to the lithe petite girls of past generations. The dance and musicality is so much less appealing. I assume the tumbling has taken precedence over the other aspects and they need the bulk for that - I haven't watch gymnastics for a long time - can't believe it looks so different - and so much more labored. Have to say I dislike the changes as much as I dislike COP in skating and the changes that has brought about.
    It's probably because the demands of the code -- now that the highest difficulty gets rewarded the most, gymnasts are throwing the hardest stuff they have, which is skills that were not necessary 10+ years ago, and require massive amounts of power and energy, thus the bulkier and more-built look to most of the female gymnasts these days.

vCash
    I rather like that gymnasts don't look 14 or younger forever. The code does demand difficulty but imo dance and musicality began to lose its way with the loss of compulsories.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    Skinner's FX -- the only place on this planet that would credit that first pass as a layout is the US Championships. She's lucky they didn't ding her for repeating an element.
    You would honestly call that first pass tucked? A tuck requires less than 90 degree hip and knee angle. And you can show up to a 135 degree hip angle and still get credit for a layout in a twisting salto. She's clearly doing two different elements and I would hope that every country's judges would recognise this.

vCash
    Not so much the not looking 14 I'm reacting to -it's more the female body builder look that is unpleasant especially when combined with the 14 year old cutesy seemingly unrelated to anything attempted hip posturing on floor - it just looks wierd.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    I think they look more athletic now and stronger.. I don't find it weird at all.. in fact I'm glad they don't look like 10 year old's anymore since they introduced all the age restrictions.. it's incredible what they do now the women in gymnastics - not unlike figure skating with women doing triple triples when not that long ago it was a few triples.. Isn't that the point of sports to get stronger, higher, faster
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I think they look more athletic now and stronger.. I don't find it weird at all.. in fact I'm glad they don't look like 10 year old's anymore since they introduced all the age restrictions.. it's incredible what they do now the women in gymnastics - not unlike figure skating with women doing triple triples when not that long ago it was a few triples.. Isn't that the point of sports to get stronger, higher, faster
    But not at the expense of aesthetics. Still confused?

vCash
    McKaylas new hair was one of the best things about the competition, I guess she finally got fed up on all the comments on it. I attest her newfound floor confidence to better air awareness and center of gravity.

Vacant
    vCash
    She tweeted that she had been told to sort it out or get a .3 deduction. She said she was told to cut it but I don't think that's quite what was said to her.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy sullivan View Post
    Not so much the not looking 14 I'm reacting to -it's more the female body builder look that is unpleasant especially when combined with the 14 year old cutesy seemingly unrelated to anything attempted hip posturing on floor - it just looks wierd.
    I didn't see any female gymnast looks like a bodybuilder. More muscly, sure, but by all means, lets go back to the underweight but pretty gymnasts of the past. Must maintain that prettiness!

Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast