Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I forgot how lovely Dementyeva could be. Afanasyeva's floor is lovely but that third tumble. The front punch needs to go she was having trouble with that on her previous routine and looks like she is struggling again with it.

vCash
    Mustafina's beam routine : http://vk.com/video175850425_165790615

vCash
    I think this is the first time that I'm keeping up with gymnastics during a post-Olympic year, and all because I find Aliya Mustafina to be so kickass.

vCash
    I am very impressed with Russian men's team, they looked like a complete team now after the addition of Nikolai Kuksenkov. I don't think think they had a fall in their routine and only event where the team score less than 15 was on HB. Team score higher 273 is also very good, consider all the vaults are downgraded by 1.0 points isn start value since London.

Since i could not fins a link to the opening ceremony here, I am linking it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8qwEFDmW8. Kazan really is a beautiful city, and also for Football enthusiasts, Kazan arena will also host world cup in 2018. I have to say teh stadium does take a very prime arena of Kazan real estate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    I am very impressed with Russian men's team, they looked like a complete team now after the addition of Nikolai Kuksenkov. I don't think think they had a fall in their routine and only event where the team score less than 15 was on HB. Team score higher 273 is also very good, consider all the vaults are downgraded by 1.0 points isn start value since London.

Since i could not fins a link to the opening ceremony here, I am linking it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8qwEFDmW8. Kazan really is a beautiful city, and also for Football enthusiasts, Kazan arena will also host world cup in 2018. I have to say teh stadium does take a very prime arena of Kazan real estate.
    Thanks for the link. I'll have to wait until I get home to view it. "Not available fr mobile devices".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I think this is the first time that I'm keeping up with gymnastics during a post-Olympic year, and all because I find Aliya Mustafina to be so kickass.
    Very Interesting AA at Universiade - here are some scrambled thoughts:

Mustafina wins easily with flawed routines. I can't actually recall her having had a clean AA post surgey?
    Here she fell from beam on her double turn (rest of beam was lovely), was very messy on her turns and leaps on floor aswell as the now obligatory horrific triple twist. She scored (IIRC) 14.75 (vault), 15.2 (UB), 14.05 (beam), 13.9 (FX)

Afan took second: She really fought for her bars which were at least negotiated without a fall. There was however, a major form break and a few heart in your mouth moments to give her a 13.75 on that event. She nailed her DTY for a 14.95 (IIRC), stayed on bars for 13.75...but, her new beam set was a huge mess. Whilst she didn't fall, every acrobatic move was landed piked with windmill arms. It has zero flow or rhythm which was her strong suit less than a year ago. She nailed floor to finish, by nailed I mean, stuck DLO, Stuck double Pike and well in bounds third pass. Triple twist had a slight one foot step back but a well deserved 15.00 for the exercise.

The Mexican (double barrel first name, double barrel second name) fell on floor and bars but what a fantastic gymnast! She had some of the best lines in the competition.

Elsabeth Black's beam was really surprising. She scored highest beam of the day with a 14'6 but then fell on floor to throw the bronze away. I think she had been 2nd overall going into the floor.

Kim Bui took bronze. She's good on bars but her stumpy line and zero rhythm makes her almost unbearable to watch in an AA.

Hannah Whelan was 6th. I'm sad about this girl. She has a reverted to a full twisting Yurchenko on vault (she had a DTY last year and 1.5 for the past 5 years). This FTY still scored 14. Her Bars though, she had really improved them in '11 and '12, but now, man, they are rough. She scraped a 12 and I don't even think she fell. Despite being a former European floor medalist, she also scored 12 something on floor without a fall. I know she trains hard and she is committed but her conditioning is really poor. She clearly lacks stamina. She had potential, shame to see it not utilised.

Vacant
    vCash
    Yikes Musty's FX is horrible That pause in the corner was longer than her bars routine The triple twist HAS to go. Couldn't she work with a skating coach on air position maybe? I'd take crossed ankles if she at least kept her legs together!

Afan IS gorgeous, but WHERE is the choreography? LOVE the quite kitch orchestral backdrop but she's just wafting when she can be arsed. Gym FX choreo is just a huge, bad JOKE apart from maybe Romania and the odd VERY rare exceptions.

vCash
    I am a HUGE Afan fan, but after her efforts the last three years, her new FX is disappointing. Still, Ksenia and Aliya are the kind of gymnasts I'd watch just walking along a podium and I'd think it beautiful

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I am a HUGE Afan fan, but after her efforts the last three years, her new FX is disappointing. Still, Ksenia and Aliya are the kind of gymnasts I'd watch just walking along a podium and I'd think it beautiful
    Don't get me wrong - she's a beautiful floor worker. But when you know what she and Musty are capable of artistically, and should be delivering on FX, then these 'exercises' are just phoned in construction-wise. Who knew Alexandrov would be missed quite so quickly?

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Gym FX choreo is just a huge, bad JOKE apart from maybe Romania and the odd VERY rare exceptions.
    Haha, who knew we'd get back to hearing Romania used a good example of choreography about 10 years ago? Adriana Pop usually has good ideas and I'm glad the team's back to working with her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Don't get me wrong - she's a beautiful floor worker. But when you know what she and Musty are capable of artistically, and should be delivering on FX, then these 'exercises' are just phoned in construction-wise.
    Oh I completely agree. Even Afan's 2013 Euros winning FX is watered down from the same routine at London. It's... frustrating. Musty could clearly do a Boginskaya/Khkorkina-esque epically dramatik FX but just ... doesn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Oh I completely agree. Even Afan's 2013 Euros winning FX is watered down from the same routine at London. It's... frustrating. Musty could clearly do a Boginskaya/Khkorkina-esque epically dramatik FX but just ... doesn't.
    I really don't understand why anyone would be critical of Afan or the Russian team for having banal, basic CH that is light on energy and facilitates maximum effort on tumbles. Afan had a complex routine In London that was detailed, innovative and took a lot of energy. Ultimately she was DESTROYED by an American who did a Mexican wave and a genie arm cross.... The scores in London showed that CH is unnecessary and detrimental to success.

This routine is easy for Afan. The height of her double pike at the end of the routine, at the end of an AA competition shows that she has made the right decision.

The code not only needs to reward top class CH but more importantly, subtract from routines like Raisman that have nothing...until then, why would anyone bother....

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    Speaking of good choreography, this is one of my favourite floor exercise routines of all time - I love how the choreography is used to emphasise and accentuate the different tempos and changes in the music.

And there's not a single cowboyed double tuck in sight.
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelfsfan View Post
    Speaking of good choreography, this is one of my favourite floor exercise routines of all time - I love how the choreography is used to emphasise and accentuate the different tempos and changes in the music.

And there's not a single cowboyed double tuck in sight.
    Great choice Here's another. RIP Floor Choreography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    I really don't understand why anyone would be critical of Afan or the Russian team for having banal, basic CH that is light on energy and facilitates maximum effort on tumbles. Afan had a complex routine In London that was detailed, innovative and took a lot of energy. Ultimately she was DESTROYED by an American who did a Mexican wave and a genie arm cross.... The scores in London showed that CH is unnecessary and detrimental to success.

This routine is easy for Afan. The height of her double pike at the end of the routine, at the end of an AA competition shows that she has made the right decision.

The code not only needs to reward top class CH but more importantly, subtract from routines like Raisman that have nothing...until then, why would anyone bother....
    Exactly!

Why bother with things like choreo when the code doesn't reward it?

vCash
    My favourites are actually Canadian... Two of them. Two incredible voids. Perhaps this is why I'm so zzzz with Cannuck skating, they were so innovative in gym...

Stella Umeh, 1993 worlds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x4e9...e_gdata_player

Yvonne Tousek Sydney Olympics
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P3yJbc42Y4

vCash
    I haven't seen those in years, poths. Thanks for posting--two of my favorite performances ever....

Kate Richardson followed in the same vein if I'm not mistaken. Here is her performance at the 2004 Olympic Event Finals. Some say she wuzrobbed

vCash
    Two amanars and a Cheng. Better Vault final than the Olympics.

vCash
    I just can't believe how good Afans Amanar was. Shame Hong was allowed compete in London as shed clearly have taken the gold on this form, but, arguably...so would Afan. Loving the resurgence from her. That vault makes her a must have for the Russian team for the next cycle.

vCash
    Credit to Paseka for getting hers around too. Quite decent really.

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast