Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I didnt declare Ross the favorite to win bars gold at Worlds, I just said I hope she does. There is a difference.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Gymnastics News No.12 Part Deux!

I don't think of you as someone who would hope for someone to win who they don't think can .
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    An incredible display of twisting from Japan's Kenzo Shirai. 7.3 D score.

Trust me every pass has more twists than you think it does....

http://youtu.be/oNZfjMhD4Io

vCash
    He does stuff I never thought possible and you were right, each pass has more twists thank you think. Absolutely insane.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't think of you as someone who would hope for someone to win who they don't think can .
    I think she can. I dont think she is the favorite, but I think she has an outside shot, and that is enough to root for her to do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    How is Kyla winning bars at Worlds? I've seen this a few times. She is expected to beat Komova and Mustafina, among others? She would be doing really well to medal. She didn't even make EF at the Olympics, I don't expect her to win the World title in her next major competition.
    Because that was last year. If you look at all of the uneven bars scoring so far, this year - A) Kyla is consistently scoring 15.4+, her routine has been cleaned up since the last Olympics and is scoring a good .3 higher than anybody else so far this year B) The field is completey deflated compared to last year C)Mustafina was only scoring 15.0ish at Europeans on bars and Komova hasn't been seen this year. D) Kyla has upgraded her bars routine since she competed it earlier this spring. E) Uneven bars values are different this year compared to last year

I've been calling Kyla the favorite the past couple months on bars but I agree with danafan that it's too early to tell, uneven bars is the one event this year thats pretty hard to predict because we haven't seen everybody top shape yet. There are also clips of Yao Jinnan training a Mo salto on bars, so she can't be counted out either (she was 4th in London too, which I tend to overlook quite a bit). I do think Kyla will be the one most likely to hit her routine, and she's looking like a very likely medalist at this point.

That routine above is the hardest twisting I have ever seen in one routine. I don't even mind that its all twisting, he opened with a 3 1/2- punch front double full and closed with a quad twist dismount.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Sorry but I think it's a little much to say what Ross is consistently scoring considering she's competed all of twice.

Mustafina's routines from Europeans did not include her full difficulty (only a D dismount and without her most valuable combo, the Pak to Stalder Shaposh 1/2).

And what upgrades has Ross made to her bar routine since the spring?

Sorry I'm not picking on you Karpenko, I really enjoy discussing this stuff. And I can't lie I find Ross' gymnastics very boring and I'll admit that might be clouding my judgment here.
    Last edited by danafan; 07-02-2013 at 03:52 AM.

vCash
    I agree with danafan, Kyla hasn't increased her difficulty much at all. It is more a case of other athletes dropping their difficulty early in the year. Mustafina's Olympic routine is 6.7 D score under the new COP. As for scoring, you are comparing Jeslo scoring with that of Europeans, a competition where scores are usually very tight. Even here mustafina scored a 9 for her E score. You are also forgetting the Chinese athletes, many of them have a difficulty in 6.7ish range. So as of now I think the UB event is very open, if their is a favorite then I would go with Mustafina because of her competition pedigree.

vCash
    I do like to root for the gymnast that people usually overlook or aren't paying as much attention to (partly why I started backing Gabby in 2011 when trash talking started) just to play devils advocate and spread the love around. Kyla I've grown to love the taller she gets, I started out finding her the most boring gymnast on earth and didn't want her to make the Olympic team. But as she matures she's very poised and elegant, esp on bars now, so the more I see of her the more I take to her. She's growing into the gymnast that she's always been if that makes any sense. Her added height makes her less boring to watch now for me personally (I'm never going to like her or basically anybody else on floor again, ever. So that part of her gymnastics I don't hold against her as much anymore, and her new routine is a step-up from the old one so I'm mainly just happy never to see POTO again)

As for bars, she's added a Komova-pak-stalder combo in the recent camp vid that she wasn't competing before. It looks like her shaposh 1/2 could go in after the stalder as well so her D score has been bumped by at least .1. She's competed twice, but there hasn't been many competitions yet so far this year and the routine she was showing back in spring was a lot cleaner than the routine she showed in London. I think her swing has improved, her lines are more beautiful and extended, she's taken out the step-downs, and her execution has no glaring weakness in the routine anywhere now. Just little things like handstands and arm bends etc, nothing built-in like before)

I'm not counting Mustafina and the rest out but they won't have competed a routine that can compete with what Kyla did earlier this year until these next couple of months. I don't think calling her the favorite is very far-fetched, and I don't think a 15.5+ score for Kyla by worlds on bars will be out of the question. Her execution is better than last year and her D score will be on a more even playing field than before. Calling her the favorite is a far fetched idea, but a lot were counting her out to even medal and at this point I'd say she has one of the strongest chances to medal based on what we've seen this year. Who knows... I just wouldn't put it past her to be able to pull it off. I feel like she's on the rise this year and could end up being a much stronger gymnast than people expect by the end of the season.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 07-02-2013 at 04:41 AM.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Ross already has 3 E and 5 D as her counting elements on bars, so doing a Stalder on the low bar does not increase her D score at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    An incredible display of twisting from Japan's Kenzo Shirai. 7.3 D score.

Trust me every pass has more twists than you think it does....

http://youtu.be/oNZfjMhD4Io
    Wow, although the lack of a double-salto, especially in men's FX, is a bit glaring, despite all of the impressive twisting combinations.

vCash
    I wonder if he could do a 2 1/2 through to a full in or something. Maybe he isn't a skilled flipper, though? If he could do that pass, would it net as much bonus as one of his other passes that he could replace?
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Ross already has 3 E and 5 D as her counting elements on bars, so doing a Stalder on the low bar does not increase her D score at all.
    What about CV? Wouldn't doing the stalder add .1 for connection bonus? I don't see the point in her doing the stalder out of the pak if it won't affect her difficulty score at all.

The latest camp is over. It's being reported that Brenna Dowell won the AA for the 2nd camp in a row, Biles was 2nd and Abby Millet 3rd. It's nice to see so much progress from Brenna, love her piked DF on floor and in general see some good promise in her. I just wish she weren't such a stiff dancer.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    What about CV? Wouldn't doing the stalder add .1 for connection bonus? I don't see the point in her doing the stalder out of the pak if it won't affect her difficulty score at all.

The latest camp is over. It's being reported that Brenna Dowell won the AA for the 2nd camp in a row, Biles was 2nd and Abby Millet 3rd. It's nice to see so much progress from Brenna, love her piked DF on floor and in general see some good promise in her. I just wish she weren't such a stiff dancer.
    I predict that this weakness will not hold her back on the US stage

vCash
    Less of a stage.. More of a rodeo.

vCash
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wKefkuTsXfU
    Musty at Universiade. She needs to upgrade...

Dementeyevas beam stole the show. 6.5 sv for a 15.3 result
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uz-LjsyrlY4

Mustafina scored 15.2 on beam.

Great to see Nabieva back, solid bars, excellent DTY, decent floor and blah beam.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_kb5RZcB-ZM

Dementeyeva just needs a little more on bars and she will make Grishina a non factor. Afan qualified for vault finals pushing Paseka...Afan had a nice new FX, fell on bars, and wasn't her usual self on beam. Just edged out Nabieva for the second Russian AA spot.

Danusia Francis of UCLA qualified third on floor ahead of Mustafina, shit SV but...great execution.
    Last edited by poths; 07-08-2013 at 12:05 AM.

vCash
    I can't remember Nabieva ever looking that good, shape wise or gymnastics wise. And I hope Dementieva starts making major teams again. I'm done with Grishina.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Mustafina was ill and hospitalised last week, and they only put her in the lineup at the last minute. I wouldn't hold her lack of upgrades against her.

vCash
    Afan really is in a class all by herself on floor. I think she looks stronger than I have ever seen her. She needs to upgrade that first pass and either twist it or add a punch front already. The classical style is lovely on her and she's the one sole gymnast on earth that does women's floor exercise beautifully for me (on all accounts).

To be honest she, Dementyeva, and Nabs were 3 gymnasts I was expecting to regress this year and its the total opposite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    To be honest she, Dementyeva, and Nabs were 3 gymnasts I was expecting to regress this year and its the total opposite.
    Ditto x 3

It sure makes things more interesting

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast