There are a couple of World Cup events in Stuttgart and Glasgow later this year. The next big thing is The World Championships in Antwerp - in September 2013!
I'm not sure if there will be a Euros next year. There are also some events held in the US earlier in the year like The American Cup.
thanks, everybody, for the education
SO MUCH LOVE THIS. This team is something very special. I feel so drained and sad that it's over, like any Olympics you are left with a mixed bag but overall I'm really pleased with how it went. I'll post my highs/lows later on but I'm left feeling happy and hoping that many of these gymnasts keep going for 4 more years.
I just saw this video of Alicia Sacramone in London and had to post it:
She is so hilarious. I would never have the guts to do that, she's probably a blast to hang out with. She also looks fantastic as usual.
Also loving mckaylas contribution to her own meme.
Well I'll attempt my highs and lows:
1. Team USA getting gold
2. Mustafina getting a medal in every event she was in and solidifying her place as my absolute favorite gymnast this quad
3. Gabby winning AA...a very exciting surprise because I was convinced shed fall apart. She didn't and I'm thrilled she won.
4. Tweddle getting bronze on UB. I was torn between her and mustafina for gold but I'm glad she got a medal.
5. Sui Lu rocking her beam set.
6. The men's vault final
7. The men's highbar final
8. Mckaylas meme explosion
9. Aly kicking ass and taking names.
1. Women's vault final
2. Men's team final
3. Sui Lu missing out on beam gold. Deng was great but... I wanted Sui to get it.
4. jordyn being shut out of AA finals.
5. Kohei being good but not great like he usually is
6. John orozco imploding. Ugh.
7. Viktoria komova giving up therefore leaving me underwhelmed and disappointed.
8. The Russian women imploding in the team final. I wanted the competition to be closer than it was.
john orozco fought back to a respectable finish in the all around. NBC refused to show his rising up to #8 overall because it would have interfered with leyva fluff (or whatever their motivation...). just as some people objected to NBC painting an incomplete picture of the russian ladies as divas, i similarly object to their showing john's downfall but not even bothering to show events later that evening where john has a good or respectable performance.
ah, but what do i know. i like him the best of all the american male gymnasts, so i had to pipe up and say something, though i largely agree with your list, especially re: mustafina and gabby.
John's my favorite too, and I know he did fight back to finish 8th but with that and his disasters in team finals it was overall a very disappointing Olympics for him. I thought he couldve made a run for the AA podium-I was hoping he would be over Leyva. (I just find Leyva to be kind of douchey.) However he is still so young and he can come back strong for Rio.
^ i sure hope so
ETA: didn't see Danafans post
I actually thought Kyla's TF routine could be a bit higher, she got .5 on one of the pirouettes but I think bend arms here and there is what did her in. Bent arms on the toe shoot is also a big reason why Gabbys score was so much lower in QR and TF compared to the all-around.
Last edited by Karpenko; 08-12-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Why does Jordan have a brace on her foot?
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."
Does anyone know where I can find a stream or a download for any of the WAG event finals from London? I can't access the NBC streams because I'm not in the U.S., and the CTV website doesn't seem to have much more than a few individual routines.
My London highs and lows:
- US Women's consistency and amazing nerves under pressure - I don't think we've ever had an entire team compete so well throughout an entire Olympics, I think only 1996 comes the closest. They were so emotionally close and lifted each other up and lived every routine together. They were such an easy team to root for and I think the team unity and endless hours of hard excruciating work is what brought everything together for them compared to the other teams.
- Maroney's stuck TF vault, never thought we would get to see this and she did it at the exact time she needed to do it most out of her entire career. This vault will be remembered forever. Million saw her do this, and millions more will know her because of her meme. And she's not retiring. One of my all-time favorites.
- Deng Linlin's BB gold. I have felt the past 4 years that she is the most under-rated beam worker in China, and while Sui Lu has a gorgeous punch front half I've always been a bit baffled at why people forget about DLL's routine but rave over a billion 2-skill combinations with absolutely no choreography to speak of in Sui Lu's. I prefer DLL's acrobatic elements, choreography, and almost everything about it. Even her leaps are better IMO, that sheep jump-back tuck combination is gorgeous. She's a classic chinese BB routine and her win for me was the biggest shock of the competition (other than VT finals ) It's literally walking backwards or forwards the entire time to set up a skill in Sui Lu's routine, though I do find her to be more elegant overall. Happy to see her hit because she fell 4 times on beam at the test event, but I think the gold and silver in that final were very clear and am surprised to see so many feeling that Sui Lu was robbed.
- Aliya Mustafina She is amazing and presents herself beautifully. I blink at the triple twist and it's more tolerable, everything about her here was pretty awesome and I loved how classy she acted the entire time while NBC tried portraying her as a diva. She is only going to keep getting more and more medals, she more than lived up to her expectation here. She medaled in every event that she competed in, very very impressive!
- Kohei Uchimura - In a way compared to the past 3 years I might consider this competition somewhat of a low for him, but I am just so relieved that he is the Olympic AA Champ and that everything is right in the world as far as that goes.
- Gabby Douglas. She did it, and neener neener. I'm 2 for 2 now on Olympic AA Champs and am so proud of her!
- Komova's FX in the AA - That might be the best routine I've ever seen under pressure. It was one of those moments where everything came together at just the right time on every pass, and it was far and away the best routine on floor she has ever done. By at least 7 or 8 tenths of a point actually. She has to realize that every routine can't be like that one for someone who is human, which is why it's always so important to fight at any cost..
- The HB final, YES! The best top 2 on HB ever at an Olympics IMO!
- Beth Tweddle finally getting an UB medal, shame about the dismount but I still would've had her 2nd personally.
- Aly Raisman finally coming into her own as a gymnast and competing extremely well. I am a huge snob about her in particular, but you can't deny her tumbling like that and she does bring a nice contribution to the sport as far as difficulty is concerned. Finally an Olympic Champ that pushes the boundaries on tumbling passes. She's never going to be fun to watch for me on anything but floor though, but she deserves all of her success and attention and did a great job.
- Team Canada - way to go!
- Berki's beautiful pommel flairs
- Aly Raisman's parents, maybe rude to others around but pure comedy.
- Gabby's family after she won the AA, also Chow and Mihai after Aly nailed floor in EF
- Jenny Zhang forever!!! What an amazing team coach
- Sam Mikulak and Aly Raisman's sportsmanship
- Ponor's layout full in from prelims and stuck landings in her last Olympic routine
- He Kexin showing that she truly is one of the best on UB, but left me still a bit meh. She more than did her job here though
- NBC - Would have ruined my Olympics without Shannon Miller and BBC antidote. Really bad this time, the worst they have ever been IMO. And I want to be the fluff maker someday, I liked some of their ideas but at the cheesyness of some of them. Some of their montages uploaded to the website too were just terrible and zoomed in on all the wrong places that I felt icky and couldn't finish. I wish we could bring John Tesh back just for the fluff.
- The vault final that never was. And NBC once again showing Ellie here out of every Canadian routine, I mean really.
- The thought of the board knowing what the FX podium was eventually going to be 4 months ago.
- The mens Team Final, if not for the GB men that would've been the worst ever I think.
- Team Russia's final rotation on FX I know Grishina was coming back from injury, but she did so poorly that worry if we will ever see her in competition again.
- Komova Once she learns how to let go, let it all go, and start competing to win instead of competing to be perfect, she will be unstoppable. She's capable of dominating this sport and I really don't think she's even at her peak yet. But her whole demeanor was a letdown for me.
- John Geddert. Ugh.
- Jordyn Wieber's prelims, they milked that as much as anything I have ever seen
- The thought of this being the last time we see so many of these amazing ladies. I hope that Chusovitina, Ponor, and Tweddle inspire these girls to not give it up.
- Iordache's injury, and the way Belu and Bitang handle situations. Whenever they don't win they act as if their gymnasts don't exist, nobody is watching their gymnasts and thinkning about the coaches so why don't they ever show they care when it isn't a gold medal? They need to get over themselves and be thankful they could even assemble the team that they had, because with Ponor, Izbasa, or an injured Iordache, they would have been lucky to even make the team final or win a medal period.
- Ferrari's leotards
- Ponor's floor music
- YJN injury Could've easily won an AA medal otherwise I think
- USA mens team, and really Danell Leyva is great but he seems to get cockier by the minute. You did well to medal but could've done much better then you did there buddy
- China's vault scores in mens QR and TF
For some reason I feel like I'm forgetting a ton, but overall it was good. I'd give it a solid 6.5/10.
Last edited by Karpenko; 08-13-2012 at 03:18 AM.