Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Mustafina is the russian female athlete of the year. Male athlete of the year is Ruslan Zakarov, the diver.
    Congratulations to Aliya. Well deserved

vCash

vCash
    I just figured out that the American Cup is in Worcester which is only about 20 minutes from me. Looks like I need to buy tickets!

vCash
    I've only just found out Philipp Boy has retired

vCash
    Mustafina will dominated this year and crush everyone easily. She will win 3 or 4 golds at Worlds.

vCash
    Sounds good to me but we wll have to wait and see how she fears against the new seniors. However I will settle former conquering her BB demonds. Bummed about Boy retiring.

vCash
    Kyla Ross and Elizabeth Price will be the US entries at the American Cup this year. In other news, Kyla Ross and Elizabeth Price finished 1st and 2nd at the American Cup this year.

vCash
    Yep Scam Cup should be fun. Very excited to see what Larissa Iordache can do this year and also Asuka Teramoto who hopefully has a real good future in the sport. Mens side looks good too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    Kyla Ross and Elizabeth Price will be the US entries at the American Cup this year. In other news, Kyla Ross and Elizabeth Price finished 1st and 2nd at the American Cup this year.
    btw, what is the deal with the American Cup? And why don't American gymnasts compete internationally more?
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Sounds good to me but we wll have to wait and see how she fears against the new seniors. However I will settle former conquering her BB demonds. Bummed about Boy retiring.
    Boy's story is really sad, but based on what I've read, he seems to be at peace with it and ready to move on with the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    btw, what is the deal with the American Cup? And why don't American gymnasts compete internationally more?
    Starting in 2001 there was a push to send the gymnasts out more, but then 9/11, coupled with the Iraq war in 2003 seemed to bring up security concerns every now and then, keeping them home. After that point, the assignments didn't ever seem to really return. Say what you will about Athens and Beijing, and not that *I* don't see benefits to competing internationally, but their record speaks for itself. There have been several gymnasts with very limited experience that have gone on to do well at Worlds so that is probably another reason why.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Will Mai Murakami be in the mix this year?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf334 View Post
    Starting in 2001 there was a push to send the gymnasts out more, but then 9/11, coupled with the Iraq war in 2003 seemed to bring up security concerns every now and then, keeping them home. After that point, the assignments didn't ever seem to really return. Say what you will about Athens and Beijing, and not that *I* don't see benefits to competing internationally, but their record speaks for itself. There have been several gymnasts with very limited experience that have gone on to do well at Worlds so that is probably another reason why.
    I think these gymnasts with no experience do so well in Worlds and Olympics because, compared to Martha's death camps, the pressure probably seems more manageable

vCash
    ^ It's true. And compared to before, the US does compete in more grand prix events internationally. They are usually just early pre-season or in the after post-season. Elizabeth Price is fresh off winning two European Grand Prix events this past month, which is probably why Marta selected her to compete with Kyla.

vCash
    Plus the budget for international trips is probably spent on the monthly camps instead.

vCash
    Komova out of Russian Nationals and very likely Europeans as well due to back injury Elizabeth Price and Larissa Iordache are both out of the American Cup. Koko Tsurumi will be there though. Also looks like most of the Fierce Five are back in the gym and still training.

China headcasing in junior meet but wow Great Britain look set to have a bright future

vCash
    http://www.examiner.com/article/viktoria-komova-injured

Yeah that doesn't sound good. . Hopefully they figure out what's wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    ^ It's true. And compared to before, the US does compete in more grand prix events internationally. They are usually just early pre-season or in the after post-season. Elizabeth Price is fresh off winning two European Grand Prix events this past month, which is probably why Marta selected her to compete with Kyla.
    Elizabeth Price Out of American Cup Due to Injury

Elizabeth Price, winner (by a mile) of the 2012 Glasgow and Stuttgart World Cups, has withdrawn from the meet after sustaining a strained hip muscle

vCash
    Oh bummer I hope she can continue later this year, although she does train at Parkettes.. I have a feeling Lexie Priessman will get the spot now. Speaking of, she's planning on tumbling a double-double, layout full-out, and 1 1/2 through to a full-in for 3 of her floor passes this year. Pretty insane tumbling difficulty, too bad she also kind of dances like Aly Raisman.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    With that kind of tumbling it wont matter what she dances like. Raisman is Olympic Champion so you can make up for it with super hard tumbling. It is a sport, so I don't mind at all, especially if the tumbling is THAT hard.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    It is a sport, but I'd personally way rather watch Lilia Podkpayeva and Daniella Silivas do their compulsory floor routines than anything Aly Raisman, Elizabeth Price, or Lexie Priessman have ever done on floor.

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast