Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 1001
  1. #361
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    13,107
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    10376
    What's up with Sarah Finnegan?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  2. #362

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35102
    Well yeah, but there is a difference between what I would want to watch and what I think is more than deserving of winning major titles. I would rather watch Silivas all day but I also appreciate the difficulty enough to not throw a fit when a Raisman wins Olympic Gold with such difficult tumbling. I am not saying anyone here did that but I've seen it plenty of times other places, and yeah, probably here during the Olympic thread.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  3. #363

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,857
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40880
    The sport is also called "Artistic Gymnastics" and it's the Floor Exercise, not Tumble Runs.

    I think there needs to be a better balance. I don't mind Raisman becoming FX champion because her competitions either melted under the pressure or just made too many errors. However, a routine like Raisman's should be beatable because of the travesty of the dance, non-tumbling elements, and form issues on her twisting (not that other gymnasts were that much better in the twisting department...ahem...Ponor...Mustafina...).

  4. #364

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,834
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    The sport is also called "Artistic Gymnastics" and it's the Floor Exercise, not Tumble Runs.

    I think there needs to be a better balance. I don't mind Raisman becoming FX champion because her competitions either melted under the pressure or just made too many errors. However, a routine like Raisman's should be beatable because of the travesty of the dance, non-tumbling elements, and form issues on her twisting (not that other gymnasts were that much better in the twisting department...ahem...Ponor...Mustafina...).
    It was a pretty filthy lineup in regards to form.

    Only Wieber and to a much lesser extent Afanasyeva had good form going on.

  5. #365
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,696
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    hahahaha but that is what made it so glorious. Three gymnasts whose form has been criticised win the three medals on floor. It was glorious. The big difference on floor now is clean landings are so so important. All three Raisman, Ponor and Mustafina were clean on their landings. The introduction of one lunge being allowed may change things slightly this quad. Still with the US women seemingly capable of numerous difficult tumbles. Floor will continue to be who can match that difficulty and be clean at the same time.

    Hmm can anyone explain some of the changes I've been hearing for the COP. Some weird change with the Switch Ring (angle of the legs) and something about connections on beam whereby most connections we've seen in the past COP wouldn't be counted.

  6. #366
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watching some crackling good television
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,515
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't know a whole lot about the beam connection changes... I know that FX is going to have "H" difficulty for certain skills (double-doubles, etc) and will be giving more connection bonus to try to get that event's average score more in-line with the others. I imagine we'll be seeing a lot more 1.5 twists to double arabians or full-ins. Also, they are only allowing one lunge out of a tumbling pass per routine, and any leaps out of a tumbling pass must have "B" difficulty or higher.

    Biggest change of the code appears to be on the vault and how it will be scored in event finals. Instead of simply averaging the two vaults to get the total, there is a complicated little formula to make determine the score. Difficulties of the two vaults are averaged. Then 10 points are added, and all deductions are subtracted to get the final total. Had this been in place in London, the vault event finals would have looked like this:
    1. Sandra Izbasa (6.1 + 5.8)/2 + 10 - (0.717 + 0.8) = 14.433
    2. Maria Paseka (6.5 + 5.6)/2 + 10 - (1.1 + 0.9) = 14.050
    3. Janine Berger (6.3 + 6.0)/2 + 10 - (1.167 + 1.1) = 13.883
    4. McKayla Maroney (6.5 + 6.1)/2 + 10 - (0.634 + 1.8) = 13.866

    Additionally, many vaults have been devalued (thank god).
    Amanar, from a 6.5 to a 6.3
    Cheng, from a 6.5 to a 6.4
    Rudi, from a 6.3 to a 6.2
    Mustafina, from a 6.1 to a 6.0
    Produnova, from a 7.1 to a 7.0

  7. #367
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Olympik Voids!
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,999
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the breakdown Fridge Break. Interesting that for all the hoopla surrounding the Amanar being devalued, all other comparable vaults to the Amanar in difficulty are being devalued a tenth as well.

    I read somewhere on another board that with these new vault final rules, Alicia Sacramone would've been Olympic Champion on vault in Beijing. (I would've loved that.)

  8. #368
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    1,280
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    News just come out that Komova will definitely miss Russian Nationals and Europeans. She has no serious back injuries, but hasn't yet recovered from the rigors of the Olympic season. She has delayed puberty and will rest up in Voronezh until the end of February. She will attempt to prepare for worlds later in the year.

    Bad timing as Russian Nationals is just around the corner and this would have to qualify her to go to Europeans. Bummer.

  9. #369

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    544
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    What's up with Sarah Finnegan?
    Last I heard, she had an injury. I don't know what. I think she just had minor surgery as well.

  10. #370
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    95
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    The sport is also called "Artistic Gymnastics" and it's the Floor Exercise, not Tumble Runs.

    I think there needs to be a better balance. I don't mind Raisman becoming FX champion because her competitions either melted under the pressure or just made too many errors. However, a routine like Raisman's should be beatable because of the travesty of the dance, non-tumbling elements, and form issues on her twisting (not that other gymnasts were that much better in the twisting department...ahem...Ponor...Mustafina...).
    The scores indicate Raisman was not beatable in the floor final even if everyone else had hit.

  11. #371

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,857
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40880
    Quote Originally Posted by mustafinabars View Post
    The scores indicate Raisman was not beatable in the floor final even if everyone else had hit.
    Right because of her high Difficulty Score.

    I said a routine like hers should be beatable, not that it was.

  12. #372
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    263
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The sport is also called "Figure Skating" and it has nothing to do with figures anymore. I'm also someone who prefer to watch the more graceful gymnasts, but when it comes to competition, I don't care about the non-tumbling aspects. If the forms are off, then it should get a deduction, but harder tumbling pass should have a higher value. In fact, I think the women's floor exercise should be like the men's, get rid of the music. Power and strength is just as important as grace. Why does the women always have to be ballerinas? Rhythmic gymnastic can continue on the artistic direction.

  13. #373

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,857
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40880
    Power and strength and grace and dance ability were the fundamentals of floor exercise. The Soviets proved you could have both. The problem is that they're just not stressed enough in the current system.

    Also, if you claim that power and strength are just as important as grace, then why are you basically arguing to get rid of grace and basically turning the floor exercise into a tumbling mat?

    As for Men, even though there was no music, there was still an emphasis on form, movement, and non-tumbling elements during the "golden age". In fact I heard it was suggested that men should have music for their FX, but some reason the differences still exist.

    To be honest, if gymnastics continues is this abysmal direction, then women might as well not have music.

  14. #374
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Overjoyed for Evan
    Posts
    8,655
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1873
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    The sport is also called "Figure Skating" and it has nothing to do with figures anymore. I'm also someone who prefer to watch the more graceful gymnasts, but when it comes to competition, I don't care about the non-tumbling aspects. If the forms are off, then it should get a deduction, but harder tumbling pass should have a higher value. In fact, I think the women's floor exercise should be like the men's, get rid of the music. Power and strength is just as important as grace. Why does the women always have to be ballerinas? Rhythmic gymnastic can continue on the artistic direction.
    I agree. I also think they shoudl get rid of the beam.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

  15. #375

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,857
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40880
    Yeah, let's get rid of this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQSHBnVplY

    I think what people really want isn't gymnastics but trampoline and tumbling competitions.

  16. #376
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wouldn't get rid of the beam, if only because it makes competitions much more interesting! However many times the choreography seems unnecessary to me. I liked Mo Huilan's for example, because I felt she was mostly presenting her acrobatic/gymnastics moves and not overdoing it. I think every move should have a purpose and if it doesn't, get rid of it.

  17. #377
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Olympik Voids!
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,999
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yeah they should get rid of the beam, make them jump and cartwheel over 4 inch wide hurdles like horses instead. Maybe then we can finally give Aly Raisman extra points for artistry.


  18. #378
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,974
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    A very good interview with Nikolai Kuksenkov (Mykola Kuksenkov) by his sister. The interview includes the disappointed of losing the olympic medal at the Olympics.

  19. #379
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,655
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    A very good interview with Nikolai Kuksenkov (Mykola Kuksenkov) by his sister. The interview includes the disappointed of losing the olympic medal at the Olympics.
    Thanks for the link. Sounds like a nice young man.

  20. #380
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Indeed, although it is dispiriting to see a unique idiomatic and beautiful gymnastics program pretty much collapse. R.I.P Ukrainian gymnastics I hope you're revived sooner than later.

Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •