Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Russian show featuring Vika and Paseka ...oh and Khorkina

Random.

Awful new haircut for Vika.

Khorkina just as mad as ever

Vika starts about 14:00. It's odd from the start though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Interview with Mustafina's mom and younger sister Naliya.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g_zB...e_gdata_player
    Can someone give a brief summary for those of us who don't know Russian? Thank you
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Part of the conversation on the show with Khorkina and some of the others is that Paseka and the coach are very upset that Maroney won silver over her with a fall. I know it is always tough to lose to someone who fell when you didn't but the bitching and moaning is almost hilarious and more than a little hypocritical. They completely ignore or forget that Mustafina won an AA bronze with a fall. That is never mentioned. They also say they don't like the rules that only allow them to dispute their own gymnasts scores because they feel the judges made a mistake on Maroney's 2nd vault. Do they think the judges forgot to deduct for the fall? The score says it all. Maroney did NOT win silver because of a high score on her 2nd vault, she won silver because her Amanar gave her enough of an advantage to absorb a fall.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Falling on vault is completely different then falling in the all around. Heck it is even different than another event final, and another event final would still look alot worse than the all around. Vault you do just one move of gymnastics. It looks pathetic that it is now two Olympics in a row someone medaled on vault, basically falling on one of only 2 moves they did, with a fall. Falls on vault should be a larger deduction than the other events, atleast in event finals. To only do one piece of gymnastics and fall and medal, and for it to happen multiple times now, is a poor reflection on the sport and its scoring, and they need to examine that and prevent it happening again, no matter how lacking the vault field right now might be which in fairness to the judges no doubt on this occasion was also a factor in that happening.

Mustafina medaled in the AA over someone who practically fell as well (Raisman who put her hand on the beam which is almost a fall) and who had a novice bar routine which shouldnt even score above 14. In hindsight I cant believe now so many were upset with people medaling in AAs with falls when it is one missed move in 3 or 5 routines filled with many moves plus a vault, when you have people falling on vault, one event with just one move (or 2 I should say, your 2 different vaults in vault finals) and winning a vault final medal.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 08-20-2012 at 02:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    To only do one piece of gymnastics and fall and medal, and for it to happen multiple times now, is a poor reflection on the sport and its scoring, and they need to examine that and prevent it happening again, no matter how lacking the vault field right now might be which in fairness to the judges no doubt on this occasion was also a factor in that happening.
    They're changing the vault scoring. They're averaging the D score of the two vaults and deducting both vaults from a single 10.0 E score. Which means that falls will be deducted a full 1.0 rather than the 0.5 deduction it is now when the entire vault scores are averaged. I think this is much better than what is currently happening.

vCash
    Well o.o Paseka's amanar was atrocious in Event Finals and I've seen several people say that she didn't fully rotate her amanar either. I haven't seen replays yet so don't fully remember whether it was fully rotated or not. But really the judging of that event final was rather poor.

Also the Amanar is going down to 6.3 but until judges are stricter with the execution there is still too much incentive to do the more difficult amanar rather than the DTY.

Edit:

And congrats to Chellsie Memmel on her engagement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Well o.o Paseka's amanar was atrocious in Event Finals and I've seen several people say that she didn't fully rotate her amanar either. I haven't seen replays yet so don't fully remember whether it was fully rotated or not. But really the judging of that event final was rather poor.
    Berger was robbed. Her vaults were still mediocre, really a poor vault final, but she should have beaten Paseka or/andMaroney with her fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Berger was robbed. Her vaults were still mediocre, really a poor vault final, but she should have beaten Paseka or/andMaroney with her fall.
    With the new scoring system, Maroney would've been 4th. Berger would've won the bronze.

vCash
    I feel that Paseka robbed Janine Berger of a vault bronze (or Maroney robbed her of a silver) much much more than I feel that Maroney robbed Paseka of a silver. In any other Olympic vault final she would not have medaled, and IMO every single Olympic vault medalist ever in the sport had a prettier set of two vaults than what Paseka did in that final. It's just so frustrating that the past two Olympics the absolute best vaulter couldn't deliver on both vaults, but given how weak the final was I do think Maroney earned her silver. I would've had Paseka's Amanar at least 1 full point lower in execution when comparing the two from the same final, and well you saw the score comparisons.. The for mistakes is getting tiresome for me, thank you Aliya Mustafina for being a such a

vCash
    I just am happy to forget the London vault final ever happened. Very poor quality and at best iffy judging. The only real low point of the gymnastics womens competition which was otherwise quite enjoyable this time around, a bit moreso than 2008 I thought (although 2008 wasnt bad). I was happy for Izbasa on an emotional level but I would have much rather seen her win floor again, she really a gold medal caliber vaulter, but she did deserve it that day. I am glad they are changing the scoring format for vault finals though, and hope the vaulting field isnt anywhere near as weak as London either by Rio.

I 100% agree with Karpenko though that Berger was robbed even more by Paseka than by Maroney. I do feel badly for her, as I definitely think she was robbed of a medal, and would have won one if she was a bigger name or from a bigger federation. Paseka was lucky her Amanar wasnt downgraded.

It is strange though that maybe the 2 best vaulters ever dont have an Olympic Gold on the event.

vCash
    Isn't it?! And the everyday fan would never know. I think the only way the vault podiums are going to improve is if we see more gymnasts train a second vault. Think about it, given that final Viktoria Komova, heck even someone like Kyla Ross could've been in huge contention with just a layout Pod. I really hope this gives more gymnasts incentive to learn at least a passable 2nd vault, the medal opportunity is very big there right now. I could also see Maroney winning vault the next 4 years with the same two she has right now, she still has to make those teams but at this point IMO her biggest competition will come from someone in the US (or Pena if she magically started landing nice double fronts).

vCash
    So o.o were there any other medals where we think things should have been different. For me I can say no. I know many felt Sui Lu was better than Deng Linlin but I easily felt Deng Linlin was better on beam. Funnily enough I agreed with the way tie-breaks went even though I wish they would just reward both gymnasts or change the rules so one can't even get a tie-break.

Rings was a bit of a surprise but as I don't really understand mens COP I just gather the judges got things rights. Overall though those who won or medaled were pretty much who deserved to medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Part of the conversation on the show with Khorkina and some of the others is that Paseka and the coach are very upset that Maroney won silver over her with a fall. I know it is always tough to lose to someone who fell when you didn't but the bitching and moaning is almost hilarious and more than a little hypocritical. They completely ignore or forget that Mustafina won an AA bronze with a fall. That is never mentioned. They also say they don't like the rules that only allow them to dispute their own gymnasts scores because they feel the judges made a mistake on Maroney's 2nd vault. Do they think the judges forgot to deduct for the fall? The score says it all. Maroney did NOT win silver because of a high score on her 2nd vault, she won silver because her Amanar gave her enough of an advantage to absorb a fall.
    Thank you! What did Khorkina say to/about Komova? They spent a lot of time showing footage of her in tears.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    According to John Geddert's blog #7 from the Olympics, Paesaeka's vault was at first deemed under-rotated but the decision was changed by Nellie Kim. Is this true? Why wasn't any of this shown if it really happened? I know it is Geddert saying this and I haven't heard of it from any other source but personally I think the floor judge got it right. It was a very under-rotated Amanar and should have been judged from 5.8. If that was the case, I don't think she would have won bronze and she shouldn't be complaining about Maroney's vaults either.

http://thegymnasticscoach.com/blog/2...es-blog-post-7

vCash
    Paseka's first vault definitely should have been downgraded. I am glad to hear someone did it, but horrified to hear it was the corrupt Neli Kim who is still playing such a prominent role in the sport. Berger is the only one who finished below Maroney who had any case to finisher above her, and most definitely should have beaten Paseka, and had the original ruling stood obviously would have done so quite easily.

As for gingercrush's question on the other results I seem to recall having watched the finals live I would have had Uchimura winning floor instead of Kai but I admit to being biased in this case as I really really dont like Zou Kai's gymnasts, although his floor is atleast twice the quality of his embarssing high bar routines. I also disagreed with the rings final result but it wasnt a huge controversy. I disagreed with the beam gold initially but after watching the routines again, I think it was probably correct now.

I also dont know why more Americans dont train a second vault. Wieber or Douglas would have ended up winning easily probably had they trained a 2nd vault and been in finals, with Maroney falling. In a one vault scenario Izbasa comes nowhere near any of the top 4 Americans, but good for her for training 2 vaults like other top vaulters should have been doing too. I think a reason nobody did was everyone just conceded Maroney the vault gold and didnt feel it was worth the effort.

vCash
    Afanasyeva is continuing

Musty is aiming for AA in Rio

L_S likes this.

vCash
    Afanasyeva is continuing

L_S likes this.
    I love the news!!! Afan and Musty are my two favs of the russian ladies

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    In the interview with Alexandrov that was previously posted he was actually pretty complimentary of Maroney, that she does the Amanar better than anyone else, etc. It didn't seem that he registered any complaint until the interviewer kept pressing him on it. Not sure if that was who was interviewed in the video, I only watched a minute or so since I don't speak Russian.

vCash
    Afanasyeva is continuing

L_S likes this.
    Fantastic!! This could be the best post-Olympic quad we've seen as far as gymnasts sticking around, throw in a healthy Sidorova, Kharenkova, hopefully Grishina doesn't disappear forever, I think Russia is going to stay a top power for the next quad. It's great to see that Chusovitina, Ponor, Tweddle, and the gang are inspiring gymnasts to keep competing in gymnastics.

vCash
    Afanasyeva is continuing

L_S likes this.
    Oh, that is great!!

Where did you read it?

vCash
    Mustafina rocks my socks off. I usually "take a break" from gymnastics for the first year after the Olympics, but I'm actually excited for Worlds next year.
    And after watching the beam final again, I agree with the results. Deng Linlin's routine was more difficult and incredibly well executed. She deserved her gold medal. I just have a soft spot for Sui Lu's routine and wanted her to win, and felt so sad for her when she didn't.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast