Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    I know I have an obsession with posting about music but seriously. Aranjuez, Malaguena and Phantom in a row?
    Last edited by Hanna; 08-12-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    About the rope: Here it says it is being "phased out"

http://deadspin.com/5933762/everythi...ic-gymnastics/

No clubs for the groups this year, and no rope for anyone, ever again.

If rhythmic gymnastics is the black sheep of the gymnastics family, then rope is the black sheep of the apparatuses. Poor rope is currently in the process of being phased out of the sport altogether. Word on the street is "Scarf" will be taking its place. So if you were looking forward to seeing some rope manipulation in these games, you're outta luck. If you get off on scarfs, just wait a couple Olympiads.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I've never liked rope. It hasn't got the personality of the other equipment.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    I'd like to know the source of this. This article sounds a little too funnyish to be taken seriously IMO.

I still can't find any info about this on the FIG site and our commentator never mentiond it during the transmissions, and she talked a lot about the code changes for the next cycle...

Rope is one of my favourite apparatus (probably due to the fact that it was the only one I could effectively control when I was competing in RG, juvenile level, maaaaaany years ago ) and I'd hate to see it go in favor of... flags or scarves or whatever.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    On Facebook there is a group: Keep the rope in RG and it says that it is a proposal of the FIG. But I cannot find anything else apart from this article which - I agree - is not something to be taken at face value.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-...35841273122266

Our commentators said two contradictory things.
    1) Rope is being taken out period
    2) Rope is definitely out till Rio

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    All the info I have on this is from rsg.net, and they haven't updated the situation in a while...
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Hot Pink in 5 Balls from Russia
    they should give some of their costumes for Julia

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    Some time ago, other countries were more active on trying to complain and fight this situation, now they seem to think "if you can't beat her..."
    Ukrainians are her favourite meal, because of Albena Derugina, Ukraine's main coach (another type like Viner, she "ran" the 1996 competition, where she favoured one Ukrainian over the other quite clearly, and then the FIG got tired of her). They are not besties.
    I vaguely remember that the judges "held down" World Champion Maria Petrova (of the former powerhouse Bulgarian team) in favor of the 2 Ukrainians and 2 Russians. Serebryanskaya UKR (gold) and Batyrchina RUS (silver) both had mistakes on their ribbon final routines, but finished ahead of Vitrichenko UKR (bronze) and Petrova BUL (5th) neither of whom made mistakes. Zaripova RUS was 4th. There was a lot of booing over this inexplicable result. Petrova had been a crowd favorite.

Congrats to the medalists, however, I was most impressed by the Korean Son - I wonder if TPTB in the sport will ever let her medal at Worlds and Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Congrats to the medalists, however, I was most impressed by the Korean Son - I wonder if TPTB in the sport will ever let her medal at Worlds and Olympics.
    Son already won a World Cup medal, is it the same as a World Cup Final ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_Yeon-Jae

It says in wiki, Rhythmic Gymnastics has Olympics, World, European, World Cup Final and Grand Prix Final grandslams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    I vaguely remember that the judges "held down" World Champion Maria Petrova (of the former powerhouse Bulgarian team) in favor of the 2 Ukrainians and 2 Russians. Serebryanskaya UKR (gold) and Batyrchina RUS (silver) both had mistakes on their ribbon final routines, but finished ahead of Vitrichenko UKR (bronze) and Petrova BUL (5th) neither of whom made mistakes. Zaripova RUS was 4th. There was a lot of booing over this inexplicable result. Petrova had been a crowd favorite.

It was Viterchenko's score that was in debate and many felt Serebryanskaya didn't deserve the win.

As for Son, she would have won the medal since her score where very high, but she dropped both her clubs, hence did not deserve the medal. She was also set to win the bronze. Kanaeva was far ahead of everyone, Dmitreva was also good, Lioubov for once did not mess and won the Bronze. that was a fair podium.

I think Italy was given a bonus and Spain should have won the medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Son already won a World Cup medal, is it the same as a World Cup Final ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_Yeon-Jae

It says in wiki, Rhythmic Gymnastics has Olympics, World, European, World Cup Final and Grand Prix Final grandslams.
    Penza is regular World cup event, class A event. Rhythmic has a very healthy world cup events where top athletes all compete. So we get to see likes of Kanaeva, Dimitreva, Merkulova and Mamun etc, along with Lioubov, Son, Garaeya.

Word is that Sinitsina is teh one to watch out for next quad, especially with new cop coming up

vCash
    Dmitrieva's Ribbon in London , I think this was Qualifications
    she has many fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSBHbY0Pn4g

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I've never liked rope. It hasn't got the personality of the other equipment.
    Rope doesn't look as interesting as the other apparatus when the individuals compete with it, but it makes for some spectacular choreography in group routines, with the gymnasts being swung around.

This is a relatively young sport and IMO it should be updated according to what works better for the gymnasts and the audience. As long as they introduce new apparatus in place of what they take out!

The idea of the scarf is a bit puzzling. Many top gymnasts use it for their exhibition routines already, but they just hold it in their hands to underline the flow of movement. I can't imagine how a scarf could be thrown effectively.

vCash
    Amazing speech.

oops wrong thread, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    The idea of the scarf is a bit puzzling. Many top gymnasts use it for their exhibition routines already, but they just hold it in their hands to underline the flow of movement. I can't imagine how a scarf could be thrown effectively.
    Just sew a couple of rocks into the corners.

What I got to see of the Rythmic Gymnastics was amazing. Love watching the team events.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Just sew a couple of rocks into the corners.
    That might help the control, but I still see it gently floating down like a parachute!
    Maybe we'll see throws with 8 somersaults before tha catch?

What I got to see of the Rythmic Gymnastics was amazing. Love watching the team events.
    Wasn't it amazing! Despite all the gloom and doom upthread, there is simply no other sport in which most groups are able to come up with moves that you have literally never seen before. This is even true for lower-level teams, not only at the worlds and olympics!

vCash
    That might help the control, but I still see it gently floating down like a parachute!
    Maybe we'll see throws with 8 somersaults before tha catch?
    I can picture it.

Wasn't it amazing! Despite all the gloom and doom upthread, there is simply no other sport in which most groups are able to come up with moves that you have literally never seen before. This is even true for lower-level teams, not only at the worlds and olympics!
    I agree. I was reading earlier in this thread and it seemed so negative. Everyone I have spoken to who got to see the RG was amazed by what these gymnasts can do. The groups just caps it off. Sometimes it really pays to not know much about something just so you can appreciate it for what it is. At the end of the day I don't give a crap about who won because I just enjoyed watching it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Rhythmic turned out to be my favorite event, so aesthetically pleasing. (No thick necks and overly-muscular legs here, as in 'artistic' gymnastics!) Amazingly, even NBC showed decent amounts and its Spanish-lang sister network, Telemundo, came through with lots of the prelims. I could tell that Andrea Joyce was really into RG; 'thanks' to her, I am guessing, for it being shown on NBC.

Synchro Swiming was also lovely, with lots of the prelims on MSNBC or NBCSportsNet. Loved the good Trampoline coverage on MSNBC. Artistic had some great surprises, esp Gabby; Aliya's one gold was a bright spot for Team Russia in artistic. I also enjoyed seeing the sights & streets of London - the main reason why I tuned into the open-road bicycling and marathon races.

I hope that RG will be shown on American TV again, BEFORE Rio 2016.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718