Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    groups is today too ?

Canada's Group

vCash
    One of the RG groups is now performing to the version of Aranjuez that Kwan used...sniff sniff...

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Why is regular gymnastics called artistic while rhythm is not? It's much more artistic, in fact, that's pretty much what it is. Confusing.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Why is regular gymnastics called artistic while rhythm is not? It's much more artistic, in fact, that's pretty much what it is. Confusing.
    I never understood that either; I guess because artistic gymnastics came first it was able to claim the better name

In Hebrew rhythmic gymnastics actually is called artistic gymnastics, while artistic is referred to as apparatus gymnastics.

vCash
    While Dmitrava has a great position and rotation in pivot her releve is almost not exit which is equal to spiral with on toe point!

Maximenko is one of a few now who has a personality while performing!

I hope Metieva and her difficult throw will be more appreciate.

Melitina form Belarus is so underscore; her routine is rival to the Russian

RG may be the most currupt judging sport and has the most locked result ever; but still the champion will always have a great line and beautiful movement!
    Last edited by justAfsfan; 08-09-2012 at 06:09 PM.

vCash
    I watched some of this earlier and while what the gymnasts do can be beautiful and amaing, I thought the dribbling of the ball over and over again got a little weird, and didn't have anything to do with the music. I'm assuming that must get difficulty points and is the equivalent of overused moves in skating these days that people complain about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Uzbekh girl.
    Just when I start liking her, she makes a dreadful mistake.

Devastating marks.
    Trofimova is injure just right before Rg competition in the olympic , and she already usually a head-case. She is an amazing gymnast with a lot of original trick though.

vCash
    I hope NBC will show this, but I doubt it. They won't show it in prime time for sure, and I am at work during day. May have to depend on Yt and the posts here. FSU is telling me more about the Olympics than NBC is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I hope NBC will show this, but I doubt it. They won't show it in prime time for sure, and I am at work during day. May have to depend on Yt and the posts here. FSU is telling me more about the Olympics than NBC is.
    If you download Expat Shield you can watch all of the BBC live and archived coverage streaming online. It's a safe app; it's designed for Brits outside the UK who want to watch BBC shows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    This!

vCash
    NBC did show RG this morning--they were also live streaming it, so if you have access, the video will be up in the archive as well.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    NBC did show RG this morning--they were also live streaming it, so if you have access, the video will be up in the archive as well.
    Will have to check the archives. I cannot watch anything during day- have to be at work.

Thanks for the info.

vCash
    dissenting opinion here

RG isn't artistic to me. it's theatrical to the point of pandering, IMHO.

let's see, ladies, sometimes groups of ladies, who are clearly not under-age wearing wedgy-prone mostly fake-skin outfits with strategicly placed sparkles rolling balls up and down their bodies, sliding hoops and other tools between their legs. isn't this nearly pole-dancing?

now i don't find artistic gymnastics particularly artistic, either. i can't remember it going by its 'artistic' first-name the last time i paid serious attention to it... it was always just gymnastics to me. well, that was probably a good couple of decades ago

ETA: i do still appreciate gymnastics, for the things i've always appreciated--athleticism with a spoonful of grace. it's just no more artistic than gracie gold to me at this point in time.
    Last edited by skfan; 08-10-2012 at 01:23 AM.

vCash
    I'm watching the little my mom recorded for me this morning.

I'm at how much this sport has digressed. It all looks like low-rent Cirque du Soleil.

: old codger rant: I remember two things from Barcelona: the archer, and the rhythmic gymnastics--it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. It almost made me want to go back to dance. Now, it's all flexibility moves; the apparatus is just an afterthought. Damn Kabaeva Remember when they had more girls out there, and they had to do apparatus? There were some Spanish and Belarussian girls.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I'm watching the little my mom recorded for me this morning.

I'm at how much this sport has digressed. It all looks like low-rent Cirque du Soleil.

: old codger rant: I remember two things from Barcelona: the archer, and the rhythmic gymnastics--it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. It almost made me want to go back to dance. Now, it's all flexibility moves; the apparatus is just an afterthought. Damn Kabaeva Remember when they had more girls out there, and they had to do apparatus? There were some Spanish and Belarussian girls.
    You said it all.

rant mode on

Now it's all about back flexibility and holding apparatus with your feet to some generic vocalized elevator music.

The body difficulties of each apparatus are simply ignored. I remember around 2007, when Sesina was winning ribbon titles left and right and people were complaing how all she did was spin (pivot)

Kabaeva was a huge disservice to the sport. IMHO, all she had was flexibility and a pretty face. Her musicality and apparatus handling was really poor (for the level she was competing). She was a novelty back then, but very soon came gymnasts with the same good looks and flexibility, who actually could handle the apparatus well, eg Tchachina.

rant mode off
    Last edited by beepbeep; 08-10-2012 at 02:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    let's see, ladies, sometimes groups of ladies, who are clearly not under-age wearing wedgy-prone mostly fake-skin outfits with strategicly placed sparkles rolling balls up and down their bodies, sliding hoops and other tools between their legs. isn't this nearly pole-dancing?
    Actually no, it is not. Rythmic gymnastics is a combination ballet, gymnastics and circus skills and requires control, precision, flexibility, strength, musicality and expression. :glamour:

It's all in the eye of the beholder though, isn't it? Some people watch and just see girls "sliding hoops between their legs". I don't know where you come from, but your mentality is so close to what we sometimes have to deal with in our - Middle Eastern - part of the world.

The outfit that you depict is extremely rare and I have personally never seen a rythmic gymnast get a wedgy. Not that it would be a scandal if they did, but they don't, because the leotards have comfortable briefs and some gymnasts adjust these in a way that I shall not depict for fear of shocking you by naming some naughty body parts.

IMHO people who are uncomfortable seeing some naked skin and watching human body in movement should not watch sports. In particular, those who cannot see a woman open her legs without thinking of pole dancing should certainly not watch any kind of gymnastics.

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    Ahhh the golden days of rhythmic gymnastics, courtesy of one of the greatest world champions never to win an Olympic medal.

Bianka Panova - 1987 World Championships, clubs and ribbon

Bianka Panova - 1987 World Championships, rope and hoop
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

vCash
    But this routine in 2008 was completely mind blowing.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelfsfan View Post
    Ahhh the golden days of rhythmic gymnastics, courtesy of one of the greatest world champions never to win an Olympic medal.

Bianka Panova - 1987 World Championships, clubs and ribbon

Bianka Panova - 1987 World Championships, rope and hoop
    That was the only clubs routine I ever saw that I liked. What a highlight for her to have swept Worlds at home in Bulgaria.

I agree with all the previous posts: RG has become a watered-down Cirque du Soleil with contortionists instead of gymnastics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    I was shocked to see it and of course loved it. I think any fan of figure skating and/or ballet would love this.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast