vCash

A question about a way of Skating

Ok...I'm not sure if this is going to be easy enough to ask about on a Board. But I will give it my best shot....

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me a little about how Skaters (not skate in a Line like in Synchro.)(but rather)...hook on to each other with 1 hand without falling off balance,and accomadate for the extra waight of each other? what is the trick? As...when I've tried it...I have always wound up using to hands...and falling off balance. Thanks.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Are you talking about how a pair or dancer skates next to each other hand in hand?

You have to make sure that your knees are well bent, and -- this is important -- that you are stroking/skating at the same speed, on the same foot at the same time. If you get off time from each other, or are on different feet, it is very easy to pull each other off balance.

vCash
    You also are not supposed to lean on each other at all--You are doing your own skating, they are doing their own skating. The two just happen to be connected, but no weight is pressing on the connection at at.

vCash
    Like backspin says, because it's just a connection, it's not a supportive thing.. think about holding hands with someone while walking.. holding hands while skating isn't much different unless one of the skaters can't skate well.

vCash
    I' talking about when you skatetorwads a lINE OF skaters,and hook on ith hand.

vCash
    It's the same as what everyone described in the posts above. You both have to be travelling at the same speed with the same timing, and when you get close enough you take their hand. If you grab harder than the other person grabs you, or if you lean too far toward that person when you grab them, you will lose your balance, or the other person will. Doing it successfully is mostly a matter of timing and practice.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Never depend on a person when holding their hand. You should maintain your own balance.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.