Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I think it also makes a difference which model of Riedells you're switching from, and how stiff a boot you need. Are you doing single jumps or double jumps? Do you break boots down quickly?
    I've been in SP Teri's for a long time and am about to move into my third pair of KT-2's. What I like about the KT-2 design is that it is a stiff boot, but the notch in the lace area allows you to bend your ankles in them so they aren't so hard to break in. The extra piece of leather (or plastic, if you get a stock boot) keeps them from creasing prematurely right by the notch. Best of both worlds, IMO. As for not being high/roomy enough in the toes, I don't think that should be a problem with the new heat-moldable boots because as long as they are wide enough and long enough, the shape will conform to the shape of your toes during heat-molding.
    It sounds like you're getting customs. Would it be possible for you to give SP Teri your measurements over the phone and ask them to send you the closest size in stock boots so you could just try them on and tell them how close they are? I started with stock boots (size 6-1/2 B) and told them they were a little narrow in the front, a little big in the heel, and just a tad short in the length of the left boot. This information was probably more helpful to them than my measurements, because when I got my customs, they fit perfectly. People who just send in their measurements sometimes get a surprising variance in sizing (not only with SP Teris, but with other brands, too).
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 08-14-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    What makes Klingbiels so great?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    They fit.
    Kind of a trite answer, but true. If I ever had a pair of skates that felt like bedroom slippers with the strength superman, Klingbeils are it. I am not in them at the moment, but only because I couldn't afford a new pair. I will save my pennies because I will go back to them.

vCash
    My Klingbeils (2 pairs) don't fit that well.

vCash
    Did you get them fitted in person by Don? He takes great pride in making sure the boots fit.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    My two cents:

I started out in Riedell, but they were not the right boot for me from the start. I was almost 14 at the time, and the guy at the pro shop told my dad that I could start with these since I had only been skating on rentals for 2 months, but if I was still skating in a year then to take me to SP Teri to get custom skates, because my feet were just too funky for stock boots from anyone. Fortunately for me, I live 45-60 minutes away from where SP Teri makes their boots ;-) My coaches (at the time) both skated in SP Teri's and recommended them as well. But that was yeaaarrrrssssss ago, and you wouldn't get a lot of recommendations for them now from any of the coaches or skaters at my former home rink (at least the last time I was there, 6 years ago).

I skated in those Ridells for 2 years, though I had broken them down in about 6 months. We brought them in for a sharpening to the guy we had bought them from (I had been having my skates sharpened regularly in those 2 years, until the skate sharpener at my rink left, so I was back to a 45 minute drive to get them sharpened) and I dunno what he told my dad while I was out of the room, but when we left my dad handed me the cell phone and told me to call SP Teri to make an appointment to get fitted for custom boots.

I'm not skating anymore, but while I was skating I went through 2 pairs of SP Teri's... well, 3 actually, my second pair they rebuilt because we couldn't get the heel to fit right with all the adjustments they could do, so they had to reduce the heel size a bit. But they have fit great ever since then, and if I were to skate again I would pull out the last pair since they still fit pretty darn well and haven't broken down much. It would at least get me through the first 6 - 12 months and then I'd have to get new skates if I were to keep skating regularly.

vCash
    I went from Reidell Silver Star to SP Teri Super Teris and was extremely happy that I switched. But then, that was a couple of decades ago so quality and stuff may be different now... I tend to doubt it. But neither of them could ever beat out my Jackson EPs!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I appreciate everyone's responses, even though I'm more confused and conflicted now than before.

I spoke to a coach this week who has used Klingbiel's through the years, and she said "once the son took over" that the quality slipped dramatically. Then I thought, well maybe I shouldn't get those.

My coach is very experienced and recommends SP-Teri's for her students so I will probably end up going that route. Because I don't know who to believe from all the coaches and people online that I've talked to.

It's probably a good idea for me to ask if they can ship me a pair to try on. My feet are two different sizes and I have a feeling they will end up being custom in some way. But I really need to try something on before just saying, "Hey, send me a pair of custom boots that I haven't tried on and can't return."

About the heel - I visually compared my Riedell's to another skater's SP Teri's and the heel height looked the same. My coach said they can also cut the heel down to match my Riedell's if it's too different.

vCash
    I appreciate everyone's responses, even though I'm more confused and conflicted now than before.

I spoke to a coach this week who has used Klingbiel's through the years, and she said "once the son took over" that the quality slipped dramatically. Then I thought, well maybe I shouldn't get those.

My coach is very experienced and recommends SP-Teri's for her students so I will probably end up going that route. Because I don't know who to believe from all the coaches and people online that I've talked to.

It's probably a good idea for me to ask if they can ship me a pair to try on. My feet are two different sizes and I have a feeling they will end up being custom in some way. But I really need to try something on before just saying, "Hey, send me a pair of custom boots that I haven't tried on and can't return."

About the heel - I visually compared my Riedell's to another skater's SP Teri's and the heel height looked the same. My coach said they can also cut the heel down to match my Riedell's if it's too different.
    Which model of SP Teris are you considering? Having skated in the old Super Deluxe and then switched to the new KT-2 model, I recommend getting some of the new features on the KT-2 that make them more comfortable, even if you're getting custom boots with a lower stiffness level. As mentioned in my previous post, the notch in the lace area makes it easier to bend it them as you break them in, while the "power tab" below the notch prevents premature creasing. The soft roll top also reduces the bruising from the top of the boot pressing into the lower calf during break-in. The lacebite protector strip on the front of the tongue is a great feature, too.
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 08-21-2012 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    I'm in Riedell Silver stars at the moment, and they have served me very well, I gather that they have changed the names or models since I bought these, does anyone have a link that shows what the equivalent boot would be now?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    Which model of SP Teris are you considering? Having skated in the old Super Deluxe and then switched to the new KT-2 model, I recommend getting some of the new features on the KT-2 that make them more comfortable, even if you're getting custom boots with a lower stiffness level. As mentioned in my previous post, the notch in the lace area makes it easier to bend it them as you break them in, while the "power tab" below the notch prevents premature creasing. The soft roll top also reduces the bruising from the top of the boot pressing into the lower calf during break-in. The lacebite protector strip on the front of the tongue is a great feature, too.
    Coach recommends Super Teri (not returnable) or KT-2 (returnable). I just want something that's not too "different" than any of the Riedells I've worn before. I've never had a "notch" so I'm not sure how long it would take me to adjust to that. I've never had bruising during break in! That sounds bad.

vCash
    Coach recommends Super Teri (not returnable) or KT-2 (returnable). I just want something that's not too "different" than any of the Riedells I've worn before. I've never had a "notch" so I'm not sure how long it would take me to adjust to that. I've never had bruising during break in! That sounds bad.
    The notch will actually make the KT-2's feel *less* different from your current boots. That's because your current boots are broken in, so you can bend at the ankle, but new boots are stiff, making it hard to bend at the ankles. The notch makes the ankle bend a little easier, although it still won't be as easy as bending your ankles in your broken-in Riedells. FWIW, I had zero adjustment going from a pair of broken in/slightly broken down Super Teri Deluxe (with no notch in the lace area) to the KT-2.
    If you've never had bruising during break-in, you never did outside spread eagles in the old Super Teri Deluxe boots, LOL! It's no wonder they discontinued them and replaced them with the better designed KT-2's!
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 08-22-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    So SP Teri's aren't cement blocks any more (ie super stiff and hard to break in)? That's why I never bothered to try them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    So SP Teri's aren't cement blocks any more (ie super stiff and hard to break in)? That's why I never bothered to try them.
    The current price list I have says that the KT-2 is designed for skaters doing "double and triple jumps" but then it says "The skater can do jumps immediately after one or two days of break-in time."

Super Teri Deluxe says for "doubles and triples" but nothing about quick break-in.

The Super Teri says for "single jumps" and "Easy to break-in."

I think I need more than the Super Teri since I'm learning doubles and a tall adult. Will probably go with KT-2 due to Doubletoe's suggestion and since it says quick break-in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    I think it also makes a difference which model of Riedells you're switching from, and how stiff a boot you need. Are you doing single jumps or double jumps? Do you break boots down quickly?
    I've been in SP Teri's for a long time and am about to move into my third pair of KT-2's. What I like about the KT-2 design is that it is a stiff boot, but the notch in the lace area allows you to bend your ankles in them so they aren't so hard to break in. The extra piece of leather (or plastic, if you get a stock boot) keeps them from creasing prematurely right by the notch. Best of both worlds, IMO. As for not being high/roomy enough in the toes, I don't think that should be a problem with the new heat-moldable boots because as long as they are wide enough and long enough, the shape will conform to the shape of your toes during heat-molding.
    It sounds like you're getting customs. Would it be possible for you to give SP Teri your measurements over the phone and ask them to send you the closest size in stock boots so you could just try them on and tell them how close they are? I started with stock boots (size 6-1/2 B) and told them they were a little narrow in the front, a little big in the heel, and just a tad short in the length of the left boot. This information was probably more helpful to them than my measurements, because when I got my customs, they fit perfectly. People who just send in their measurements sometimes get a surprising variance in sizing (not only with SP Teris, but with other brands, too).
    When I started skating in the '60s there was nowhere to buy skates. The rink owner/coach used to trace our feet on a piece of cardboard and send it to the boot manufacturer. The boot manufacturer would then send the boot that most closely matched.

vCash
    The current price list I have says that the KT-2 is designed for skaters doing "double and triple jumps" but then it says "The skater can do jumps immediately after one or two days of break-in time."

Super Teri Deluxe says for "doubles and triples" but nothing about quick break-in.

The Super Teri says for "single jumps" and "Easy to break-in."

I think I need more than the Super Teri since I'm learning doubles and a tall adult. Will probably go with KT-2 due to Doubletoe's suggestion and since it says quick break-in.
    You can't really judge what model boot to wear just based on whether you're doing single or double jumps. If you weigh 80 lbs and are doing doubles (most of the kids), you don't need KT-2's, but if you weigh 120 lbs and are doing axels and working on doubles (that was me when I switched to KT-2's), then they are probably the right stiffness for you because you put a lot more pressure on that boot every time you take off and land.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    So SP Teri's aren't cement blocks any more (ie super stiff and hard to break in)? *That's why I never bothered to try them.
    Yes, the Super Teri Deluxe boots were a pair of cement blocks! Can you believe I didn't even know about gel ankle sleeves when I had to break in my first pair of those things?! The KT-2's keep the stiffness where you need it but take away the cement block torture factor! Very well designed boots, IMO.
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 08-28-2012 at 12:16 AM.

vCash
    If I'm not wrong, you should have a look at scottie12's thread : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72520 You'll find some answers to your questions

vCash
    Thanks doubletoe & Diane. Looks like the concensus is for the KT-2's. I am going to send my measurements in, and see if they think this is the right boot for me.

vCash
    Thanks doubletoe & Diane. Looks like the concensus is for the KT-2's. I am going to send my measurements in, and see if they think this is the right boot for me.
    In fact, if I'm not mistaken by my memory, he wasn't so happy of the KT-2, at the end...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane Mars View Post
    In fact, if I'm not mistaken by my memory, he wasn't so happy of the KT-2, at the end...
    Yes, he said he broke them down too fast:

I first had the KT-2 boots, but I broke them down completely in 2 weeks. Then, in 2011, I purchase the KT-3s (with the intention to relearn triples at some point), but then they broke down in about 2-3 months. It was very annoying to have two boots that were otherwise good boots, fall apart that fast! I understood with the 2's, but when I killed the KT-3, I was shocked.

Scootie is a strong adult male skater with big double jump combinations and deep knee bend, so his experience is probably not what a lady landing axels and working on lower level doubles should expect. I've gotten 2 years out of each pair before getting the right boot reinforced and getting another year or so out of them. The Senior lady I know who wears KT-2's replaces hers every 6 months, which is typical for the number of hours and aggressive level of skating at her level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    Our fitter discourages brand hopping.

We use semi custom riedells. They do split widths for no extra fee but more than 2 changes =semi. Skater has a very narrow heel.
    Haven't skated for years, but wanted to mention that when I got my Reidells back then, they were a 6-1/2 AAA with AAAAA heel!!! If you think I am the only person in the world with that skinny of feet, they just happened to be in the process of mounting blades on that size skate for someone else and I got to try it on. So there were two of us, at least. I also got a more padded tongue at no extra charge. Uh, this was back in the 90's. I can't imagine what skates cost now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast