Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash

Riedell vs. SP-Teri

Thinking about making the switch from Riedell to SP-Teri (coach's suggestion.) Anybody got any experience with this? Are SP-Teri's too much different or worth the extra cost?

vCash
    It comes down to which boots fit your feet best. Some say, too, that Riedell's quality has slipped in recent years (YMMV). Riedells tend to fit narrower feet.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I'm going to order them through the mail, so I'm hesitant to buy something custom like SP-Teri's if I can't try them on. But if they're really good quality then I'd consider it.

vCash
    Never, ever order skates through the mail. Even if you have worn exactly the same size in the exact same skates before - two pairs of skates are never identical.

Since you have never worn SP-Teris before, you need to go to a qualified, experienced fitter who can measure you properly and give you lots of choices to try on. And if you do order something and it doesn't fit, they should have a policy that they will send the skates back at no charge to you.

Did your coach tell you why he/she wants you in SP-Teris? SP-Teris are very different from Riedells. Just b/c they might fit a lot of his/her students well doesn't mean they will fit you. My general advice is to never switch to a boot on the basis of a recommendation from someone who isn't actually measuring you for skates.

Ask your coach (and other skaters and parents) for a fitter recommendation.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Plus, aren't SP Teri's rather strong? You need to be careful that you aren't in too much boot. A reputable skate fitter would be able to help with that too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Never, ever order skates through the mail. Even if you have worn exactly the same size in the exact same skates before - two pairs of skates are never identical.

Since you have never worn SP-Teris before, you need to go to a qualified, experienced fitter who can measure you properly and give you lots of choices to try on. And if you do order something and it doesn't fit, they should have a policy that they will send the skates back at no charge to you.

Did your coach tell you why he/she wants you in SP-Teris? SP-Teris are very different from Riedells. Just b/c they might fit a lot of his/her students well doesn't mean they will fit you. My general advice is to never switch to a boot on the basis of a recommendation from someone who isn't actually measuring you for skates.

Ask your coach (and other skaters and parents) for a fitter recommendation.
    My coach did the fitting (she's experienced with SP's), measured all aspects of my feet and filled out a long form. Unfortunately we live nowhere near any kind of boot fitter. But your comment that SP's are "very different from Riedells" makes me hesitant to switch. The SP price list says that any custom boots are non-returnable. I'm assuming this means even custom features like split tongues. I would be willing to travel for a fitting if I knew a really good place to go (not some hockey kid behind a counter which is all we have in our location).

What I liked about my most recent pair of Riedell's is that there was practically no break-in time, even though I had to have some custom padding put in at the shop I went to (don't live near there anymore). However, they broke down really quickly. I don't know if I got a weaker model than what I needed, or if they were just low quality.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    You may have had too little boot if they broke down quickly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    The SP price list says that any custom boots are non-returnable. I'm assuming this means even custom features like split tongues.
    You may want to contact them and ask them to clarify that.. I think that is just considered a special order, not a custom, but it still may mean an order is not returnable.

SP Teri can also recommend to you where to go for a fitting - just give them a call or email and ask.

No break in time and broke down quickly tend to support that you may have been underbooted in your current skates OR it's possible you weren't fit in the correct size (skates too big will break down faster). Even the "best" fitting skates in the right stiffness will still take at least a couple of weeks to get comfortable. If you step on the ice and they're 100% perfect from day one then that should throw up a red flag, because as those skates break in, they will ultimately fit too loosely.

I would also ask why your coach is recommending SP Teri over Riedell - is it a personal preference or does she suspect some kind of fit issue that could be addressed better with a different brand of boot?

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    If you step on the ice and they're 100% perfect from day one then that should throw up a red flag, because as those skates break in, they will ultimately fit too loosely.
    Depends on the brand. My two pairs of Klingbeils were immediately comfortable, and fit fine even after years and years.

vCash
    My daughter has been skating in SP Teri's for close to 10 years and absoutely loves them. She has a very narrow foot and even narrower heel and was not able to find another brand that could fit her accurately. Surprised at the other poster who said Riedell is for narrower feet becasue that definitely was not the case for her. She moved to SP Teri specifically because none of the other brands she tried (Reidell, Harlick, Risport, Jackson) fit right. Plus there is an option to add a heel hugger to make it even snugger.

What level are you skating? Is there a reason you would need to order custom? My daughter competes at junior with the SP Teri Deluxe and we are able to get split widths with narrower heel and it is still considered stock. Plus there is an option to add a heel hugger to make it even snugger.

Break in time is usually only a couple of days using bunga pads around her ankles.

One thing I will mention though is that it usually takes a long time to get the skates. Seems like they don't keep much inventory even in stock models so basically when you order they have to actually make the skates. Average time is 6 - 8 weeks and a couple of times it took over 3 months. We just plan accordingly now and order early so she has them when needed.

vCash
    Our fitter discourages brand hopping.

We use semi custom riedells. They do split widths for no extra fee but more than 2 changes =semi. Skater has a very narrow heel.

vCash
    I've always worn Riedell and I've always been told by expert fitters that they are the wrong skates for me. I have tried on Harlick, Jackson, SP Teri etc and none of them feel good in the store. I don't know if it is just because I am used to Riedell, but I am one of the few skaters I have ever known who didn't have foot or boot problems.

Can you return the Teris if they don't feel right (before the blades are mounted)? I wouldn't buy any boots that felt uncomfortable when you stand or walk in them. The experts mean well and can help you decide, but you are the one who is going to be wearing the boots.

vCash
    I tried to switch from Riedell to SP-Teri many years ago and found that while the SP-teris fit my narrow heel - wider ball okay, the toe box was too flat and pressed down painfully on the top of my foot at the base of my toes. My very-experienced fitter tried everything he could think of to widen the area but nothing hwelped. He ended up taking the boots back from me and I went back to Riedell. I'm in custom Klingbeils now, though and there's just NO comparison.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I tried to switch from Riedell to SP-Teri many years ago and found that while the SP-teris fit my narrow heel - wider ball okay, the toe box was too flat and pressed down painfully on the top of my foot at the base of my toes. My very-experienced fitter tried everything he could think of to widen the area but nothing hwelped. He ended up taking the boots back from me and I went back to Riedell. I'm in custom Klingbeils now, though and there's just NO comparison.
    That was my experience with Teri and Jackson, the toe box was too flat. Riedell has a reputation for being narrower in the toe, but I think the lacing goes down further making the toe/ball of the foot area more adjustable.

As others have said, there is no substitute for trying them on. Don't let anyone pressure you into buying uncomfortable boots with the promise that "they will feel fine once you break them in". Don't mount the blades if you have doubts!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Depends on the brand. My two pairs of Klingbeils were immediately comfortable, and fit fine even after years and years.
    There's also a significant difference between a fully custom boot and stock.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Both of my Klings were stock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by another sk8rmom View Post
    My daughter has been skating in SP Teri's for close to 10 years and absoutely loves them. She has a very narrow foot and even narrower heel and was not able to find another brand that could fit her accurately. Surprised at the other poster who said Riedell is for narrower feet becasue that definitely was not the case for her. She moved to SP Teri specifically because none of the other brands she tried (Reidell, Harlick, Risport, Jackson) fit right. Plus there is an option to add a heel hugger to make it even snugger.

What level are you skating? Is there a reason you would need to order custom? My daughter competes at junior with the SP Teri Deluxe and we are able to get split widths with narrower heel and it is still considered stock. Plus there is an option to add a heel hugger to make it even snugger.

Break in time is usually only a couple of days using bunga pads around her ankles.

One thing I will mention though is that it usually takes a long time to get the skates. Seems like they don't keep much inventory even in stock models so basically when you order they have to actually make the skates. Average time is 6 - 8 weeks and a couple of times it took over 3 months. We just plan accordingly now and order early so she has them when needed.
    Very helpful - check your PM's.

vCash
    What makes Klingbiels so great?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    What makes Klingbiels so great?
    They fit.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Years ago I tried SP Teri's on and loved them - until I stood up. I found the heel height higher than what I was used to/liked. I had been through many pairs of Reidell up to that point, and ended up in Harlicks.
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast