Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    And it remains to be seen whether France will actually have a pair in 2013-14.
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    France has a pairs team with James and Cipres.
    And I assume Popova's citizenship can be pushed through if it comes to that; after all, Vanessa James didn't start competing for France until the 2008-9 season, and it was still sorted out in time for Vancouver. Of course, if they could get Lubov Iliushechkina released by the Russian Fed and expedite her citizenship, that would be nice for the French team.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Yes, because the Top Jump competition in the early 2000s was so legendary and enthralling to watch.

It's boring watching isolated technical elements.
    I don't mind more skating, but isolated technical elements no -- I'd rather watch figures.

I just wonder if it gives the judges even more ability to make trades.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    I think this is really a terrible idea. These athletes structure their whole two to four years of training, competing etc to peak for the games. And now they may have to do the programs before the actual event that counts. Think it is what too hard on the athletes. What if they get injured. What a waste that would be. If anything it should be held after all the individual medals are awarded.
    I also think the WTT was stupid too.
    Winning a team medal doesn't count?

I'm not sure that either Ukraine or the Czech Republic even has an Olympic-eligible pair. Neither sent a pair to this year's Worlds. The Czech Republic did send a female singles skater. She finished 41st..
    Alexandra Herbrikova/Rudy Halmaert /CZE/ (after only a few months of training together). He's French and would need to be granted citizenship though.

Czech Republic has some vaguely promising younger skaters. I'd put my money on Elizaveta Ukolova who will be age-eligible by Sochi.

Ukraine has Lavrentieva/Rudik who are pretty terrible at the moment.

Great Britain's male singles skater finished 37th at Worlds.
    They don't have a singles skater with a reliable 3axel at the moment.

Jenna McCorkell is retiring, I believe.
    She hasn't retired and is competing at IJS Sheffield at the moment where she landed 3flip/2toe, 3toe and 2axel in her SP.
    http://www.obfusk.co.uk/SHEIJS12/SEG005.HTM

The German Olympic Committee has a tendency to impose its own very strict qualifying requirements. It refused to send Annette Dytrt to Vancouver. Don't count on it sending a team to Sochi.
    Zhiganshina/Gazsi are unsure to have citizenship for her sorted before Sochi. Z/G, Liebers and Hecken will very likely have to place top 8 at 2013 Euros to go to Olympics. They are all capable of doing that but only if they perform very well.

And it remains to be seen whether France will actually have a pair in 2013-14.
    I think that James/Cipres are quite promising. So are Popova/Massot but she would need to obtain citizenship to represent France at the Olympics. That probably can get sorted if they become good.

So the chances that we will be watching Austria and Bulgarian teams are actually quite good.
    Both Austrian dance teams feature one partner who doesn't have citizenship.

Same goes for the Bulgarian pairs and dance team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Both Austrian dance teams feature one partner who doesn't have citizenship.

Same goes for the Bulgarian pairs and dance team.
    Austrian dance team Christine Smith/Simon Eisenbauer should both have citizenship, same with the Bulgarian team of Anjelika Ilieva/Pavel Petrov Savinov.

The following countries have skaters in all 4 categories that should be age eligible by Sochi, not saying they are all great skaters or have citizenship..
    Australia, Austria, Belarus, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Czech Republic, North Korea, France, Germany, Great Britain, Isreal, Italy, Japan, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, USA.

vCash
    North Korea has an ice dance team?

And I still don't get how Japan is going to have an Olympic-eligible pair.

vCash
    North Korea has an ice dance team?
    Three of them, according to ISU Communication 1743. Sol Mi Jong/Chol Kim, Ye Gyong Hong/Min Choe, Yu Gyong Kim/Hwang Il O are the national medalists.

vCash
    Oh, how I'd love to see videos from the Ice Dance competition at North Korean Nationals!

vCash
    North Koreans always seem so underscored

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    Three of them, according to ISU Communication 1743. Sol Mi Jong/Chol Kim, Ye Gyong Hong/Min Choe, Yu Gyong Kim/Hwang Il O are the national medalists.
    Those ISU Communications are the only way to see at least the top 3 results of North Korean Nationals.

North Korea does have a lot of figure skaters, they just never get sent to international competitions.

I guess the reasons for that are the lack of money as well as the fears they could defect perhaps?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Alexandra Herbrikova/Rudy Halmaert /CZE/ (after only a few months of training together). He's French and would need to be granted citizenship though.

Czech Republic has some vaguely promising younger skaters. I'd put my money on Elizaveta Ukolova who will be age-eligible by Sochi.
    Elizaveta was born in Russia and technically is still a Russian citizen, however she lived in Czech Republic since she was 2 years old (so for 12 years now), learn to skate here and going to school here, her Czech citizenship is in the making (as far as I know) and I was told it should be done before the start of next season for sure.

Herbrikova / Halmaert are currently not training. Alexandra has weight issues due to her health (but mostly I think due to her laziness and different life priorities ) so I am pretty sure the pair is done.
    Petr Bidar has teamed up with Martina Bocek, Martina was scoring perfect 100% in Pair skaters senior test in the spring and they were ready for a new season, unfortunately they fell from the lift (trying to bring more difficulty - bigger level to it) and it ended with couple of stitches on Martina´s mouth and more serious injury for Petr who saved Martina from worse things. He dislocated his shoulder and was in unconscious and taken to the hospital. But get back home after two days doctors followed him closely. Now he is home healing and Martina is doing solo training. This occured at the start of August and I have heard they will try to go back to the ice next week but would not be able to do any lifts and throws but for how long nobody knows.
    Martina is an Italian Citizen but half of her family (father) is from Czech Republic and she is living here since 2006 (I think) even if partially. The Citizenship process here is really long (it took like 10 years of permanent residency before you can apply) but I think if there would be any chance to take the team event and the pair would be promising the Czech Federation and Czech NOC will be doing their best to support faster approach from the Ministery. But who knows if they would be succesfull. The other promising pair (Anna Duskova and Martin Bidar - Petr´s brother) are too young and too undevelopped to go to any big event, they are real novice pair, but promising.

vCash
    Thanks for all the news and updates, Oubik!

Quote Originally Posted by oubik View Post
    Petr Bidar has teamed up with Martina Bocek, Martina was scoring perfect 100% in Pair skaters senior test in the spring and they were ready for a new season, unfortunately they fell from the lift (trying to bring more difficulty - bigger level to it) and it ended with couple of stitches on Martina´s mouth and more serious injury for Petr who saved Martina from worse things. He dislocated his shoulder and was in unconscious and taken to the hospital. But get back home after two days doctors followed him closely. Now he is home healing and Martina is doing solo training. This occured at the start of August and I have heard they will try to go back to the ice next week but would not be able to do any lifts and throws but for how long nobody knows.

I am glad they are ok, hopefully they will be able to get over the mental block and get back to training.

vCash
    That sucks about the pairs I hope the Czech Republic will be in the team event

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345